PDA

View Full Version : Dropped PowerBook... Need Advice...

jmsait19
Feb 20, 2006, 10:43 PM
Okay, so yes, I dropped my PowerBook. I've had it for 2.5 years (15" Rev. A AlBook) adn took great care of it, without being paranoid about getting fingerprints on it, it was just an unfortunate occurence. I have (had?) AppleCare, and have a couple questions for those who have been through this before.

It was open so the screen did not sustain damage, but the side with the PCI slot got bent, right at the slot. Right now the slot is not usable, a card probably wouldn't fit through the hole. On the right side, the casing is protruding just a little, but not much. It is pretty contained to those two places.

I imagine that my AppleCare is voided judging by some other posts on the forum. Is there anyway to get around this or have it reinstated? Is it worth it? I only had about 8 months left.

How much does it cost to have the bottom casing replaced? If the AppleCare is voided, then I coudl probably get it done by a local service center for much cheaper, correct?

Here is the bigger question. I had the model that was affected by the white spots on the screen. I hadn't gotten my screen replaced yet. I figured if I wait longer, then it will hold resale value better. Anyways, will they still replace the screen, or will they try to claim the drop damaged it? This is a very well documented problem, they should replace the screen for no cost, correct? Does anyone have a thought about this?

If anyone can give me any advice, that would be great.

Jason

entropy1980
Feb 20, 2006, 10:50 PM
Umm well they are out of stock but Ifixit (formerly PBfixit) has them usually for 249.95....

http://www.ifixit.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=444&cat=&page=1
They say it's a difficult replacement though....

BENJMNS
Feb 20, 2006, 10:51 PM
Okay, so yes, I dropped my PowerBook. I've had it for 2.5 years (15" Rev. A AlBook) adn took great care of it, without being paranoid about getting fingerprints on it, it was just an unfortunate occurence. I have (had?) AppleCare, and have a couple questions for those who have been through this before.

It was open so the screen did not sustain damage, but the side with the PCI slot got bent, right at the slot. Right now the slot is not usable, a card probably wouldn't fit through the hole. On the right side, the casing is protruding just a little, but not much. It is pretty contained to those two places.

I imagine that my AppleCare is voided judging by some other posts on the forum. Is there anyway to get around this or have it reinstated? Is it worth it? I only had about 8 months left.

How much does it cost to have the bottom casing replaced? If the AppleCare is voided, then I coudl probably get it done by a local service center for much cheaper, correct?

Here is the bigger question. I had the model that was affected by the white spots on the screen. I hadn't gotten my screen replaced yet. I figured if I wait longer, then it will hold resale value better. Anyways, will they still replace the screen, or will they try to claim the drop damaged it? This is a very well documented problem, they should replace the screen for no cost, correct? Does anyone have a thought about this?

If anyone can give me any advice, that would be great.

Jason

sorry but you dropping the screen means you're screwed. and paying for the repairs... might as well get a new PB dude.

it sux but it happens.

jmsait19
Feb 20, 2006, 11:23 PM
sorry but you dropping the screen means you're screwed. and paying for the repairs... might as well get a new PB dude.

it sux but it happens.

even though it has large white spots that are undoubtedly a defect in the screen and i haven't gotten any repairs done on it, so it is still the original defective screen?

generik
Feb 21, 2006, 12:08 AM
even though it has large white spots that are undoubtedly a defect in the screen and i haven't gotten any repairs done on it, so it is still the original defective screen?

You can try and see how it goes, asking here won't really help anything since ultimately it'd depend on the orientation of the sun, moon, various stars and constellations and most important, the mood of the Apple employee's girlfriend the previous night.

It doesn't bode well though, while you can argue that it was the original defective screen that got dashed they can always counter that the fall might have damaged other components/the warped casing requires more manpower (= labour charges) to work with as compared to a "good" PB, etc.

Anyway for all you know this might be life's little way of pushing you to treat yourself to a new MBP :o

California
Feb 21, 2006, 01:51 AM
What I would do would be have the case replaced. Then I would send it in to Apple for the screen repair. You are responsible for the case accident, so just get a new one and then have Apple do the screen repair for you. End of subject.

I used to have a lot of Titanium Powerbooks and I knew how to price point their top cases -- found new ones on eBay or a cheap Apple tech who had them. It is cool because it is like getting a new PB for under 200 bucks.

jmsait19
Feb 21, 2006, 11:55 AM
What I would do would be have the case replaced. Then I would send it in to Apple for the screen repair. You are responsible for the case accident, so just get a new one and then have Apple do the screen repair for you. End of subject.

I used to have a lot of Titanium Powerbooks and I knew how to price point their top cases -- found new ones on eBay or a cheap Apple tech who had them. It is cool because it is like getting a new PB for under 200 bucks.

wait are you saying i could replace the case and apple wouldn't be able to tell, so they wouldn't know??

jacobj
Feb 21, 2006, 12:00 PM
Luck is a funny thing and you may have run out. On the other hand you may have it in abundance. Here is another scenario:

they agree to fix your screen, open up the PB to remove it and can't put it back together because of the drop damage. They cannot send it back to you in bits because they agreed to the repair and they therefore replace the casing as an act of good will..

probably won't happen, but at least give it a go..

California
Feb 21, 2006, 01:43 PM
wait are you saying i could replace the case and apple wouldn't be able to tell, so they wouldn't know??

No, I am saying that the case replacement has NOTHING to do with spots on the screen. You can tell them anything you want about why you replaced the case -- you jammed the trackpad, etc., but without evidence as to what happened with the case, the screen thing is still a different subject altogether.

call an apple tech you can trust and explain situation. I don't know, this is what I would do.

jmsait19
Feb 21, 2006, 03:13 PM
No, I am saying that the case replacement has NOTHING to do with spots on the screen. You can tell them anything you want about why you replaced the case -- you jammed the trackpad, etc., but without evidence as to what happened with the case, the screen thing is still a different subject altogether.

call an apple tech you can trust and explain situation. I don't know, this is what I would do.

however, the screen replacement is not based on whether the machine is in warranty or not (as far as i know). so if i replace the case, then they don't have to know that i dropped it, and they replace the screen.

obviously there could be other issues, and obviously im an idiot for dropping it, but stuff happens. it still functions just fine. i just want my screen replaced because the white spots are horrendous and according to apple i am entitled to a screen replacement on them.

thanks for your thoughts. obviously everything is speculation at this point. so i will just proceed from here.

thanks,

jason

California
Feb 21, 2006, 03:34 PM
I would view the case replacement as a way to get a new screen -- i.e., you are avoiding Apple telling you that the screen problems have to do with the dropped case. Wish you lived in LA, I'd tell you exactly who to go to.