PDA

View Full Version : Great broadband service!!

MacMakeMyDay
Jan 22, 2003, 10:25 AM
I posted this message on the online gameing section but thought it might be missed by other people not interested in games what so ever.

I just thought i would let all us Mac users know that there is a great broadband service available from applica broadband (www.applicabroadband.co.uk)

I tried getting through to other broadband companies and got irritated with how long it took for me to get through..plus i would have to be tied into a 12 month contract---applicabroadbands contract is a mininmum of 3 months...and you dont get charged if you decide to go elsewhere!!!! applicabroadband answerd the phone straight away. The hardware that they provide is good quality as well and it works with Macs!!! About time people relaised that its not just a PC world out there!!

I needed a bit of technical support from them as i didnt have a clue what i was doing but this wasnt a problem either...i managed to get through to their support line straight away as well. Now that is what i call service!!!

If you are considering go broadband i would deffinatly recommend them....especially if you hate telephone music!

hope this helped you. I was very impressed!!

Thumbs up to applica!!

idkew
Jan 22, 2003, 10:44 AM
and you must work for them too- since you posted this twice, in two different ways.

MacMakeMyDay
Jan 22, 2003, 11:03 AM
sorry....didnt mean to post this twice. was in the online gaming forum. when i actually thought i was in here....didnt want to type it all out again.

Hope it was of some help anyway.

cheers

barkmonster
Jan 22, 2003, 12:54 PM
have you been to bandwidth place and tested the speed yet ?

I'm on a 512Kbps cable modem from blueyonder, It almost always pushes past 600Kbps, sometimes it's hit over 90Kbytes per second when I've been download large OS updates from the Apple site.

It also only costs me 25 a month, doesn't have any restrictions on how long I can be be online for and they've given me plently of speedy webspace aswell.

If the company you're refering to can offer a broadband service as good as this for less money then I'd very impressed.

blueyonder arn't perfect though. I was really frustrated with their dial up service, I was constantly getting thrown offline at certain times of the day and it was costing me 22 a month for the service change and second phone line. They even expected me to make 10 worth of landline calls a month to qualify for it so it was more like 30 a month for a measly 3-5Kbytes per second if I was lucky.

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 22, 2003, 01:55 PM
I've just taken the plunge, and gone for broadband. I was going to go for Nildram - but, instead, a rep. from Demon called me up and told me that for a wires-only service it was only going to cost 24.99/month with no connection fee. Well - that sold me.

Now, with only a few days to go before BT finally activate my service (it takes around 10 working days... ...yawn...), I've everything I need - I opted for a Conexant AMX-61E single port Ethernet modem over a USB connection (even though it has both USB & Ethernet built-in), which only cost me 65 from www.dabs.com complete with 2 microfilters - Brilliant!

Now all I have to do is work out how to set it up - the manual says to use a crossover cable, but various websites (including the excellent www.adslguide.org) suggest to use a straight. Luckily, I've got both standing by - it's just configuring the sucker that looks the nightmare...

No doubt, I'll be asking for help when the time arises!

:D