PDA

View Full Version : Samsung YP-Z5 iPod nano Competitor

MacBytes
Feb 21, 2006, 12:21 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Samsung YP-Z5 iPod nano Competitor (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060221132121)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Silencio
Feb 21, 2006, 12:31 PM
Yawn.

Another boring MP3 player that will quickly be forgotten.

atari1356
Feb 21, 2006, 12:38 PM
35 hour battery life is nice... it looks clunky compared to an iPod Nano though.

kev0476
Feb 21, 2006, 12:52 PM
Who needs 35 hour battery life? Charge it every night and it will be fine, my ipod has 20 hours how am i going to listen to 20 hours in a day? Ok so 3 hours of movies but i have never killed the battery except once a month to keep the battery fresh. That thing is also really big to be a nano competitor.

baleensavage
Feb 21, 2006, 01:05 PM
It's not going to be an iPod competitor until it has a decent design. It's going to be just another stepping stone in the iPod's success story. When are these other companies going to make real competitors for the iPod? They moan about Apple having such a high percentage of the market share and they come out with ugly stuff like that? Who wants to be caught dead carrying one of those around?

nagromme
Feb 21, 2006, 01:21 PM
You say most people plug their iPod into charge every night, not once a week?

You're forgetting the joys of putting your iPod someplace DIFFERENT every night. Is it in the kitchen? The car? Under the sofa? In the toilet tank? Trying to remember is half the fun! You lose that if you connect your iPod to charge every night. Putting your iPod in the SAME place each night? So much for consumer choice.

;)

funkychunkz
Feb 21, 2006, 02:20 PM
Less of a competitor, and more of a rip-off. I'm a little dissapointed with this product: there's no video for it's obviously larger screen. Looks ugly, controls are bad (and overly large). Wallpapers are a good idea though. Not bad for a first shot, but with any luck, apple will update the nano promptly. What would be really cool, is to see an mp3 player that somehow uses it's casing as a speaker, or that can play stream music from an online database (like itunes) or play preselected music shows that are brodcasted globally. Anything THAT cool, could rival the Nano.

Or, since were already talking crazy, make the back side a bullet proof solar panel. Keep it in your shirt pocket, and feel smug at having an inconspicuous heart protector.

plinkoman
Feb 21, 2006, 03:38 PM
what is wrong with other companies in naming things?

yp-z5... really catchy name there :rolleyes:

Marky_Mark
Feb 21, 2006, 03:51 PM
I agree with the point about wallpaper - I'd like to see an update which allows you to choose a wallpaper from your photo library - I have a 5G iPod and frankly, all that white space seems such a waste... You can have wallpaper on the crappiest phone, it can't be beyond the wit of man to provide the capability on an iPod :)

ezekielrage_99
Feb 21, 2006, 06:02 PM
I thought they said this about the Sony MP3 player, the Diamond Rio, the Creative MP3 players (all of them), the LG, ok all of the MP3 players that have gone up against the iPod and failed.

solvs
Feb 22, 2006, 12:42 AM
Who needs 35 hour battery life?
:rolleyes:
I'll bet it's much less in real world tests. 35 is optimal and usually means small 48kbps WMAs with continuous play and no backlight. Whereas the iPod is usually actually somewhere around where they say it is. Not to mention it looks like ****. But hey, at least they didn't say iPod killer this time. :p

Deepdale
Feb 22, 2006, 01:20 AM
Far from the type of design that will turn heads.

Shamus
Feb 27, 2006, 04:22 AM
no mp3 player is going to replace the ipod. the ipod is here to stay...and apple knows it

Chip
Feb 27, 2006, 10:18 AM
Keep in mind the interface will be very similar if not easier to use than the iPod Nano. Samsung hired the third party engineer that developed the Nano interface to develop the YP-Z5 interface.

"Who needs 35hour batter life?" That's just funny.

Another HUGE draw for the YP-Z5 is the ability to play more popular formats than the Nano. The YP-Z5 supports MP3, WMA, WMA-DRM10 (PlaysForSure) and Ogg. For those that think iTunes is a joke (like myself), the YP-Z5 is a God-send.

If you love iTunes then stick with your Nano. Those that are looking for another solution should investigate the YP-Z5

MacSA
Feb 27, 2006, 10:44 AM
Apple really need to do something about the battery life in the iPods. Its not too bad in the 60gb model, but in the rest it's just poor.

natatos
Jan 29, 2009, 11:07 PM
I read that they designed it to be big like it is so that people with big hands can hold it better too bad it doesn't play videos I have one better than shuffles (way better) just doesn't sync with itunes