PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4

Bungy
Feb 21, 2006, 03:07 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but could someone tell me if my Powerbook G4 Quicksilver running OS X 10.1.2 is compatible with an Airport Extreme card.

Many thanks in advance Bungy:)

Lord Blackadder
Feb 21, 2006, 03:25 PM
"Quicksilver" is a type of PowerMac G4 desktop. Is that what you mean, or are you referring to an aluminum PowerBook G4 laptop?

ALL aluminum PowerBook G4s can take an Airport Extreme Card.

Bungy
Feb 21, 2006, 05:11 PM
Yeah sorry Blackadder, I mean't PowerMac G4!! I am of course descended from Baldrick!!!

Lord Blackadder
Feb 21, 2006, 08:18 PM
Hmm, he must have sneaked one by me before I had him neutered...a shame.;)

Unfortunately, you must use the "original" AirPort card for all the G4 towers except some of the MDD Macs. I have one in my Digital Audio tower and I love it. The Airport Extreme card is a different form factor and won't physically fit or work with a Mac designed for the original AirPort card.

Bungy
Feb 22, 2006, 06:11 AM
Thanks Blackadder. I am no longer so confused that I don't know what my name is, or where I am!!

Bungy
Feb 22, 2006, 06:29 AM
Hello again Blackadder. Sorry another question!!!

Am I right in saying that the only option to get my PowerMac G4 hooked up to a wireless router is with an original airport card, and therefore my max speed is going to be 11mbps, or are there other options?

Thanks again

Lord Blackadder
Feb 22, 2006, 09:10 AM
Yes, the original Airport card is 802.11b, so max throughput is 11mbps.

However, you won't notice the difference when surfing the internet unless you have a T3 connection or some such. DSL/Cable are a lot slower than 802.11b's max speed. It will make a difference if you often transfer large files (GBs) over a LAN connection.

Bungy
Feb 22, 2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the help Blackadder. Hopefully me and Mrs Miggins can both enjoy the wonders of the internet at the same time now.

Cheers:)