Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
Re: PPC-based palm top!

IBM's PowerPC 405LP system-on-chip processor, which seems poised to compete with Intel's XScale processors for mobile device design wins, is described in its preliminary data sheet as a "highly integrated device offering high-performance at ultra-low power". The chip contains a 32-bit PowerPC 405D4 RISC core processor (with MMU) which dynamically scales from 152 to 380 MHz, and also includes an SDRAM/RAM/ROM/Flash controller, DMA and interrupt controllers, extensive power management, color LCD controller for 1/4 VGA up to XGA (2K x 2K pixels), touch panel interface, 2 16550-type serial ports, IIC (master and slave), CODEC interface, and up to 32 general purpose I/O lines. The 405LP implements a technology known as dynamic power management, for both processor and memory power requirements, in order to maximize battery life in mobile devices.

That is absolutely amazing... I wonder if a scaled down OSX would run on that processor with a recompile. :)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Re: Re: PPC-based palm top!

Originally posted by ELYXR

That is absolutely amazing... I wonder if a scaled down OSX would run on that processor with a recompile. :)

im sure you could get one to work, but there is a better chance at doing it a different way.

figure out a way to get your average PPC linux distro on it instead of what is already installed, then install Mac-on-Linux. OS X runs inside of linux and XFree quite well with this software from what I understand.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: Re: PPC-based palm top!

Originally posted by ELYXR

here's a question, if you scale down OS X, is it still OS X. I mean, if you take out quartz and other major subsystems (almost assuredly needed to run on an architecture as limited as a PDA), is it really OS X, or is it merely an Darwin based OS. If you scale down OS X with such major changes, would any apps actually run on it that currently exist.

My thinking is no, it wouldn't really work. I don't think you can just shrink OS X to put it on such a device (and unless apple does it, there's very little hope, since OS X is presumably still looking for the hardware boot rom and won't boot on other systems, even if they have the same G3 and G4 chips in them).

Just tos ay it before the discussion starts abotu it, I don't see anything about this that points to an apple pda coming out. It certainly would make it easier, assuming apple wanted to do a powerpc based PDA (I still don't think they are interested in that).

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Just like there is a scaled down windows for the Pocket PC's there can be a similar version of OS X.... Apple would get a Grand (yes $1000) out of me for a PPC PDA with OS X and some good specs!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.