PDA

View Full Version : New 12" PowerBooks in (some) stores!

moby1
Jan 22, 2003, 03:18 PM
http://www.mbsdirect.com/events/pb12gallery.html

I may swing by the Apple store on Friday!

http://www.mbsdirect.com/graphics/pb12a.jpg

yzedf
Jan 22, 2003, 03:38 PM
i will wait for the new 15.x" version myself.

This (http://www.barefeats.com/pb17.html) is the reason why. Not getting much from the G4 besides video/memory performance.

I think I want a 1GHz (or faster?) 15.x" with the new Aluminium body...

If I am going to spend the $$$ then I should get the cpu/mem/vid performance to match.

IMHO

moby1
Jan 22, 2003, 03:42 PM
I've ordered a 12" because I can get it in 2 weeks. I can wait 2 weeks, I can't wait 2 months.

Later, I may well sell the slightly used 12" and pick up the 15.4", we'll see.

I've used an iBook before and it was the only portable that felt truly "portable" to me. I loved my 15.2 TiBook but sometimes I felt it a bit awkward - and it attracts a bit too much attention.

moby1

MrMacMan
Jan 22, 2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by yzedf
i will wait for the new 15.x" version myself.

This (http://www.barefeats.com/pb17.html) is the reason why. Not getting much from the G4 besides video/memory performance.

I think I want a 1GHz (or faster?) 15.x" with the new Aluminium body...

If I am going to spend the $$$ then I should get the cpu/mem/vid performance to match.

IMHO

Um... tell me how the 15" beat the 17" in some of the processor tests... aren't they like the same chip...?

I would of expected the same chip to run the same preformance wise... eh...?

sparkleytone
Jan 22, 2003, 04:10 PM
to repeat the question from another thread about the 12", does anyone know what point release the 12"s are running?? 10.2.4?? A modified .2.3 ?? Anyone have a build # ??

JSRockit
Jan 22, 2003, 07:11 PM
wow...that picture makes the 12" pBook look like a iBook more than any other pic I've seen. Still buying one.

MacFan25
Jan 22, 2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by JSRockit
wow...that picture makes the 12" pBook look like a iBook more than any other pic I've seen. Still buying one.

Yeah, that's what I thought whenever I saw that picture, too. I am going to have to go to a store to see one up close.

Wren
Jan 22, 2003, 07:51 PM
I was at the Apple store today here in Los Angeles ( the Grove ) and I saw the new shipment come in! Yes the new 12 ' AluPowerBook in black boxes ready to go! The staff was exicted. Now I can't wait for my 17 to arrive!

JSRockit
Jan 22, 2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Wren
I was at the Apple store today here in Los Angeles ( the Grove ) and I saw the new shipment come in! Yes the new 12 ' AluPowerBook in black boxes ready to go! The staff was exicted. Now I can't wait for my 17 to arrive!

What is Apple doing under promising over delivering for? The SoHo Apple store better have got some.

TrishMvhl
Jan 22, 2003, 08:13 PM
<What is Apple doing under promising over delivering for? The SoHo Apple store better have got some.>>

I *just* walked past there and it looks like they have a 12" in the window. Store was already closed and it's 16 degrees out, so I didn't linger too long :)

TrishMvhl

JSRockit
Jan 22, 2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by TrishMvhl
<What is Apple doing under promising over delivering for? The SoHo Apple store better have got some.>>

I *just* walked past there and it looks like they have a 12" in the window. Store was already closed and it's 16 degrees out, so I didn't linger too long :)

TrishMvhl

Thanks for the tip...I'm rolling to NYC to see it...of course I'll call to verify.

neonart
Jan 22, 2003, 08:51 PM
I think I need a 12.

Reason: Portable. Very.

I have an iBook 466 and it's too big to grab and go (plus it could use some power). I think the 12" AlBook will be powerful enough to do most things on the go and it fits in a bag/briefcase easy.

magid
Jan 22, 2003, 08:52 PM
Damn, i was just there on sunday and they said in a few weeks. Well i guess i have to head over again to check them out :) Do you know anything about the 17"?

zAm

iJon
Jan 22, 2003, 09:16 PM
we got 3 of them in to sell today, i got some pics on my other thread on this if you guys want to see some pictures of it next to the ibook and other powerbook.

iJon

FlamDrag
Jan 22, 2003, 09:17 PM
Good to hear that the 12's are in and that they look great.

Re: 17's, my 17 still says delivery "on or before" 20 Feb. I'd expect it to be the same for stores since Al12 owners are getting them at the same time as stores.

JSRockit
Jan 22, 2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by iJon
we got 3 of them in to sell today, i got some pics on my other thread on this if you guys want to see some pictures of it next to the ibook and other powerbook.

iJon

Where is the other thread?

iJon
Jan 22, 2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by JSRockit

Where is the other thread?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18051&highlight=powerbook

iJon

regan
Jan 23, 2003, 12:25 PM
I too had the pleasure of seeing, holding, playing with the new 12" alumabook up close and personal last night at the NYC Soho store.

It was funny, because all week I was calling the store and asking WHEN a floor model would be on display...and was repeatedly told 2 WEEKS!

But something drew me into the store that night...something powerful.....um ok!...so maybe it was the SUB ZERO temperatures outside coupled with the fact that I was in the area...lol...but STILL...I had this "feeling".

Because it was late(close to 8pm on a Wednesday)...the store wasn't packed, but crowded enough. I quickly scanned the powerbook table...and at first didn't see anything different. No huge crowds...or anything...just a person or couple in front of every tibook. I jumped on the first avaible tibook and checked my email(Nuthin!). Thats when my head snapped to the right...out of the corner of my eye...something shiney flashed...and thats when I saw it. A man had been holding it and turning it over in his hands...no wonder I hadn't seen it as i approached the table.

Like a cartoon popping into frame <zwwwwwip BOING!> Right next to him peering over his shoulder. Then another person appeared and another. We all hovered eagerly and jealously next to this lucky person...waiting for our chance...jockeying for a position that would insure that WE were next to hold the shiney beast.

Of course being 6'4" and 240lbs of solid muscle, I thought I had a "lock" on being the next in line...but NOOOOOOOOOOO....some pint sized vern troyer look alike beat me to the punch! But we apple folk are a civilized bunch, and I patiently waited my turn. Actually all of us(virtual strangers) bonded and shared our thoughts and feelings about what we were observing. It being NYC, we were an odd group...Young, old, punk, conservative...yet we were all equally "geeked" out by the sight of this thing.

Heck, I don't even want the 12"...I'm waitng for the 17" or the 15" version...but just to see the new design...up close...gave me an idea what to expect...and - I - was - PLEASED by what I saw. This thing was just BEAUTIFUL. As much as I LOVE the Tibook design, this thing made the Ti actually look BOXY. The photos do not give it justice. Sleek and smooth and STURDY all at once. And SMALL! When I finally got to hold it, I couldn't put it down. It really is as compact as they say...and YET...the keyboard is HUGE. And by that I mean, the keys actually seem BIGGER than the Tibooks. It was just THE best laptop keypad I have ever seen. I can only imagine it on the 15" and 17" models with backlight added...wow.

The model on display must have JUST been put out...because it wasn't loaded with any of the new apps...or even hooked up to the net. But I did open and close and fiddle with some of the basic stuff and it felt zippy. The screen was sharp sharp sharp!

Man...MAJOR lust. The drool was flowing and the geek-o-meter needle was in the red. I reluctantly, but politely passed it off to the next drooling onlooker next to me...but lingered around chatting it up with my new friends...as I waited for another chance to hold it again.

All in all I was in the store for a good hour. Stepping out into the arctic freeze of NYC finally snapped me out of my trance...but I had a smile on my face. I had something to tide me over and make the "wait" for the other models seem less frustrating.

February......drooooool......

TrishMvhl
Jan 23, 2003, 01:02 PM
Aw, Regan... looks like we just missed each other by minutes! I was hoping the store might be open till 9, but alas... We'll catch up *someday*!

I'm torn as to which laptop to go for later this year. The 17" screen is perfect for Photoshop, but the ability to grab-n-go a small device is appealing too. Just have to play with the store models to make my mind up.

On a side note: It was SO bitterly, blastingly frigid and windy last night, that plastic bags of paper recyclables were rolling through the streets of Soho like tumbleweeds. Everyone stay inside! (or go to an Apple Store!)

TrishMvhl

Ambrose Chapel
Jan 23, 2003, 01:59 PM
to repeat the question from another thread about the 12", does anyone know what point release the 12"s are running?? 10.2.4?? A modified .2.3 ?? Anyone have a build # ??

From a reader report on macnn:

Comes with 10.2.3 Build 6H28

moby1
Jan 23, 2003, 02:39 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/johnbyrne/PhotoAlbum18.html

I can't wait to see it in person.

sparkleytone
Jan 23, 2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel

From a reader report on macnn:

Comes with 10.2.3 Build 6H28

a modified .2.3 ...

interesting. i was wondering if they needed to add some last minute support for things like the backlit keyboard.

iJon
Jan 23, 2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone

a modified .2.3 ...

interesting. i was wondering if they needed to add some last minute support for things like the backlit keyboard.
i would assume becasue of built in bluetooth and new airport extreme. also on a note, i dont know if anybody checked this out. the 12 inch powerbooks do not have ilife on them.

iJon