Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Labi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
I'm getting a shuffle soon and would like to know if you can fast forward and rewind songs with it. Also can you drag drop data files into it.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Labi said:
I'm getting a shuffle soon and would like to know if you can fast forward and rewind songs with it. Also can you drag drop data files into it.

Yes, yes and yes.

To fast forward/rewind all you do is hold down the button rather than clicking it.

To drag and drop data files onto it as though it were a flash drive you need to enable disk use in the iPod preferences via iTunes. From iTunes you can adjust the amount of space you want to use for data and for songs. I have a 512MB shuffle and have set 128MB for data and the rest for music. You can adjust this at any time and can go all the way in either direction.

Remember, you can't drag and drop music files onto it and expect to listen to them. You need to add music via iTunes - it's really easy with the shuffle. Have fun, shuffles rule!!

Labi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Thanks a lot Chundles. I might be getting the battery pack as well, it looks like a very useful thing.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Labi said:
Thanks a lot Chundles. I might be getting the battery pack as well, it looks like a very useful thing.

No worries. Can't give any opinion on the battery pack. My shuffle's battery lasts for what seems like forever. 16, 17 hours probably. Longer than it's ever away from the laptop and it's never on for more than a few hours a day so it seems like it just goes and goes and goes.... I love it.

Labi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Chundles said:
No worries. Can't give any opinion on the battery pack. My shuffle's battery lasts for what seems like forever. 16, 17 hours probably. Longer than it's ever away from the laptop and it's never on for more than a few hours a day so it seems like it just goes and goes and goes.... I love it.

Sorry to bring an old thread back, but I forgot one more important Q. Can you hear sound while Fast forwarding or is it muted? Thanks in advance Chundles :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Labi said:
Sorry to bring an old thread back, but I forgot one more important Q. Can you hear sound while Fast forwarding or is it muted? Thanks in advance Chundles :)

You hear little "excerpts" as it goes backwards and forwards.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Sorry to throw this into the thread, but...

My friend has a shuffle that will not rewind/fast-forward through some songs, but others it does just fine. Is this normal? Could it be a difference between song formats, or does his iPod need updating/restoring? :confused:

Labi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Chundles said:
You hear little "excerpts" as it goes backwards and forwards.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was expecting and hoping. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.