PDA

View Full Version : AAC vs. MP3

darbsrewop
Feb 22, 2006, 10:00 AM
Right now I have about 20,000 songs in my collection. Is it worth converting all the AAC? Will that hamper me in the long run? Also if I choose to stay with MP3, most of them are at 128 KBPS, can you convert from 128 KBPS to 192 KBPS ? Is that possible, and will I hear a difference?

Thanks for your help

mad jew
Feb 22, 2006, 10:10 AM
Converting from one compressed file type to another will decline quality. Plus, there is no way to add quality to a song. All you'd be doing is losing a small amount of quality and making the song take up more hard drive space. I wouldn't bother. :o

baleensavage
Feb 22, 2006, 10:14 AM
If your songs are already in 128 KPS MP3 format there's no point in converting them to a AAC. iTunes will read them fine and you've already been listening to them at this bit rate and don't have any complaints then there should be no problem. If you want higher quality files you will have to go back to your original cds and rerip all your music in AAC format. Once you have reripped low-quality MP3s, you can't add the quality back. And a converted song may sound worse than the MP3 did. In the future though, I would recommend ripping your stuff at 196 KPS AAC. I find that this produces managable file sizes and good sounding songs.

MacRumorUser
Feb 22, 2006, 10:55 AM
can you convert from 128 KBPS to 192 KBPS ? Is that possible, and will I hear a difference?

Thanks for your help

The whole point is compressing and stripping out of the audio, this can only be done one way. You cant suddenly add quality because it's no longer there.....