PDA

View Full Version : random sleeping ibook

howard
Jan 22, 2003, 08:19 PM
a few times now my ibook has randomly gone to sleep, i have the 700mhz one...has anyone had any kinda of similar problem? why is it doing that!!!

dprlynch
Jan 22, 2003, 08:59 PM
I have a 700 iBook, and it had the same problem. I had to send it to AppleCare to be repaired.

alset
Jan 22, 2003, 09:14 PM
Happens with my 800mhz. It hasn't become enough of an issue to follow up... yet. The problem must not be too rare.

I also have an issue with my battery showing only 99% charge when it is full. I was told to reset the power manager, which I haven't yet tried. I wonder if this would solve the sleep issue as well?

Search Apple Knowledge Base for "Power Manager Reset" and it will be the first link.

http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/kbase.woa

Dan

Jackhammer
May 8, 2005, 10:06 PM
I did the powe management reset per the apple rrep over the phone. Didn't help the matter.

matticus008
May 9, 2005, 11:33 PM
I had this problem myself, and went through all sorts of troubleshooting steps and multiple tries at each. Reset PRAM, NVRAM, and PMU, deleted power management plists, disabled sleep entirely, etc. I even wiped the hard drive (lost 6 gigs of data I hadn't backed up) and it did this on a clean install with no additional software. Either through some combination of resetting the PRAM, NVRAM, and PMU relentlessly or just because it felt like it, my PowerBook stopped doing it.

I'd say send it in if it won't cost you anything much and let them fix it, but you run the risk of them not being able to reproduce the problem. My PB got really out of hand, sleeping every 5-15 seconds, so I was very relieved when it stopped, even though I lost so much data. Basically, I would make a backup now and maybe try the normal troubleshooting steps. It might go away by itself.

calyxman
May 10, 2005, 08:26 AM
Is this (http://listserver.themacintoshguy.com/pipermail/iBook/2004-August/010663.html) what you're talking about?

rtdgoldfish
May 10, 2005, 08:55 AM
I have both of these problems (random sleeping and 99% charge) on my 800mHz iBook. I will just be online or typing,nothing really that bad on the HD or processor, battery life says about an hour left and then out of nowhere, black screen and sleep light. I called Apple and they said since it is out of warantee, I basically have to deal with it unless I want to pay outragous amounts of money. I will just wait until my logic board dies one more time and hope it is after the next iBook revision so I get one for free :cool: