PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac G5 is chirping, beeping and flapping

jaw04005
Feb 22, 2006, 11:54 AM
My semi-new Power Mac G5 (Early 2005) 2Ghz machine is emitting a low range electronic beep/chip every second or so. Is this normal? Lately, it's gotten worse—to the point where it's become really annoying. Also, it sounds like one of my fans is off-balance and it's emitting a flapping noise.

I wouldn't normally care, but the sound is noticeable when using the line-in port on the back and when using video conferencing like iChat.

I have AppleCare, so I'm assuming Apple will send someone out to my house to replace the power supply and fan?

Anyone else with this issue?

jaw04005
Feb 22, 2006, 12:09 PM
Alright, so I've isolated the noise to the speaker/fan assembly in the front of the machine and the power supply. I think the speaker/fan assembly is a do-it-yourself part.

TMA
Feb 22, 2006, 12:29 PM
My semi-new Power Mac G5 (Early 2005) 2Ghz machine is emitting a low range electronic beep/chip every second or so. Is this normal?

It's perfectly normal and is related to the PSU and CPU power cycling.

Do a search on here and Apples discussion boards and you'll find lots of discussion on it. One solution is to use Apple's CHUD tools to disable CPU 'napping'. Another is to play around with the energy saver settings in System preferences. Try Reduced or Automatic modes. Apple will not fix this issue under warranty unless you are experiencing the sound through connected equipment via the sound or optical out.

The flapping sounds like it could be something else. Have you tried taking the sides off and re-seating the 2 fans in front of the heat sink? Also check to see that there are no cables that have strayed and could be interfering with a fan.

riciad
Feb 22, 2006, 01:55 PM
Maybe it's about to lay an egg and you'll have a MacMini soon!
Sorry, couldn't resist after seeing the thread title. Hope you're sorted out soon.