Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebpayne

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
After uisng my PowerBook G4 12" for a few days, it occured to me that the colour seemed off compared to my Formac 1740 connected to my Mac Mini. Here are some images of the two;

Mac Mini
103191868_aeb7f6ca88.jpg

PowerBook G4 12"
103191900_8915173f6d.jpg

Both running Mac OS X 10.4.5 and using the standard profiles (Display on the Mini and Color LCD on the PowerBook). Do I need to start creating custom profiles - I just want my site to look good (as welll as my photos).

It looks as if the PowerBook is a bit too yellow when compared to the Formac and the header looks too green. Any suggestions urgently!!

Thanks

Seb

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Custom Profiles are always a good idea. I calibrated my pbs screen with the monitor settings in the system adjustments (sorry if this is the wrong word, haven't had Os X in english for a long time) and my Eizo using the calibration Software that came with it. Unfortunately you won't be able to get both screens to look the same, since the Formac, depending on when you bought it, is of course much brighter and has more contrast than the smaler pb screen. So the best thing you can achieve is having approximately the same colors but brighter on the Formac and a little bit darker on the pb screen. Removing a little bit yellow on the pbs profile might do a lot.

But to me there is also a big advantage when using 2 screens that do not display colours exactly the same. When designing websites you will never know what kind of monitor the person who will be visiting them has. You can check if your design/photos look good on different screens no matter if they are a little brighter or darker or something.

sebpayne

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
I can understand having the colour slightly different on both machines but it seems to yellow on the PowerBook. If I choose sRGB, it looks better but then the 'silver' look of the applications like Safari and Finder look too blue. Are there any simple tutorials I can use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.