PDA

View Full Version : Help with my new ibook g4!

mrchappers5334
Feb 23, 2006, 05:26 AM
Although I primarily use my ibook G4 for designing with my Architecture university course, I've looked into buying a game for it.

Most of the games I look at don't seem to be suitable for my laptop.

I hav the basic processor for the ibook G4, i think its something like 1.4 Ghz.

1G of RAM, and 100G Hard Drive.

For example, when looking at Doom 3, I find it recomends a processor of 2.0GHz of faster, and only on a PowerPC.

Can anyone help!?

James

robbieduncan
Feb 23, 2006, 05:38 AM
Laptops are not really designed for games. They tend to have slower CPUs, slower graphics chips and less RAM.

If you want to play Doom 3 see if you can download a demo first. It may be playable at lower resolution or with some of the effects turned down.

As you can see from this review (http://www.macsonly.com/arch00505.html) it was only just playable on a 1.67Ghz PowerBook at low resolution with some of the effects turned off.

PickledSquirrel
Feb 23, 2006, 05:38 AM
I was goint to advise you to post in the games section, but I see you already found out. So I'll advise you against double posting instead;)

-Squirrel

mrchappers5334
Feb 23, 2006, 05:42 AM
yup, just noticed that section... sorry! Won't do it agaiin..:D

I mean, I'm not particularly looking at DOOM 3, anything really, even something like Civilisation...

If the system requirements of a game say a higher Processor than I have, should I just assume not to get the game?

calebjohnston
Feb 23, 2006, 06:39 AM
who cares where something like that is posted, big deal. he posted it here and that's that. no reason to bring up some false superiority complex. I don't see moderator or demi god or anything next to your name. thanks.

robbieduncan
Feb 23, 2006, 07:12 AM
who cares where something like that is posted, big deal. he posted it here and that's that. no reason to bring up some false superiority complex. I don't see moderator or demi god or anything next to your name. thanks.

Fair enough. There is a Demi-God next to my name though (even if it does just mean I've paid some money, I have no power). Cross-posting is frowned upon and the Mods will generally close one of the threads.

If the system requirements of a game say a higher Processor than I have, should I just assume not to get the game?
Yes. The specs are normally the minimum required to get the game to play at low resolution with most effects turned off. Most game boxes also have a recommended spec. If your machine matches or betters that the game will play reasonably well (sensible resolution, most effects). To play at higher resolutions and/or with all effects and high resolution textures etc you normally need a machine that is significantly better than the recomended spec!

annk
Feb 23, 2006, 07:52 AM

Advice on posting in the appropriate forum is friendly advice, designed to help people use the forum more efficiently. It has several advantages, one being that it makes it easier to get help (because the people who know about that issue are generally in the revelant forum), and most people needing to search about an issue will search in the relevant forum.

Pickledsquirrel wrote his post in a friendly tone, and Mrchappers, to whom the advice was directed, responded in a friendly and respectful manner. Maybe there's something to learn here? :rolleyes: