PDA

View Full Version : Super Secret Retail Store iPod Formula

_Matt
Feb 23, 2006, 12:51 PM
I was in the Garden State Plaza Apple Store yesterday and I noticed something peculiar about the iPods. Whenever I touched one I felt some sort of greasy/oily residue on it. It didn't smear or come off onto my finger, and all of the iPods looked absolutely perfect. Does anyone have any idea what they use in retail stores to keep the iPods looking so good? I should have asked one of the geniuses but the store was packed to capacity.

Nickygoat
Feb 23, 2006, 12:59 PM
I was in the Garden State Plaza Apple Store yesterday and I noticed something peculiar about the iPods. Whenever I touched one I felt some sort of greasy/oily residue on it. It didn't smear or come off onto my finger, and all of the iPods looked absolutely perfect. Does anyone have any idea what they use in retail stores to keep the iPods looking so good? I should have asked one of the geniuses but the store was packed to capacity.
Sure that's not oil from other people's hands? :eek:

devilot
Feb 23, 2006, 01:12 PM
Sure that's not oil from other people's hands? :eek:Yup. That's what I would assume. :vomit smiley:

_Matt
Feb 23, 2006, 01:16 PM
Sure that's not oil from other people's hands? :eek:

No, definitely not hand oil. It just looked like it worked very well. I'll have to check out other retail stores in my area to see if the same solution is used. It was actually quite scary. Three people each to every iPod in the store and there wasn't a single scratch or fingerprint on them.:confused: Apple must have altered the RDF so that they could shield display iPods from all other forms of matter. :D My iPod wants what those iPods have.

_Matt
Feb 23, 2006, 01:18 PM
Yup. That's what I would assume. :vomit smiley:

Nope. Definitely not human oils. Thank god. It was a uniform coating around the entire iPod.

CoMpX
Feb 23, 2006, 01:21 PM

I'm not sure what this oil is, but I live in NJ too!. Right near the Garden State Plaza, in Saddle Brook. I was there for the grand opening of that store. What town do you live in?

EDIT: spelling

_Matt
Feb 23, 2006, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure what this oil is, but I live in NJ too!. Right near the Garden State Plaza, in Saddle Brook. I was there for the grand opening of that store. What town do you live in?

EDIT: spelling

Nice. I live in Closter. I missed the opening to that store. The layout of the store itself makes me nauseous. It's like an unbearably tiny metal box.

CoMpX
Feb 23, 2006, 01:35 PM
Nice. I live in Closter. I missed the opening to that store. The layout of the store itself makes me nauseous. It's like an unbearably tiny metal box.

It is very small, and usually packed with lots of people. I know closer, cool. If you ever see a kid with lots of hair and braces checking out the iMacs, that's me.

puckhead193
Feb 23, 2006, 01:39 PM
i too notice this at my apple store....I think its the powersupport film things... that's my guess.....

aricher
Feb 23, 2006, 02:11 PM
The stores here in Chicago have iPods that are pretty screwed up. No PowerSupport film on them. The screens on some have minor scratches on them and the backs are pretty scratched up. The shuffles are more scratched up than the video iPods. My guess is that Apple changes things out frequently with refurbs. I also suspect that Apple has some sort of resurfacing agent that they use on refurbs that gets rid of all scratches.