PDA

View Full Version : Was an handle on a laptop such a bad idea?

GeneR
Jan 23, 2003, 01:39 AM
Hello,

I'm drooling for a 17" A|PB but I also realized: "Hey! I'm too used to having a handle! What about a handle?" I have the first SE iBooks and rely on that feature daily. Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch!

:)

blackpeter
Jan 23, 2003, 01:53 AM
Give it some time.

There are aftermarket handles that you can buy for the PB15". I'm sure that they'll make some for the 17" (and maybe even the 12").

...but you'll never see me use one.

dricci
Jan 23, 2003, 01:59 AM
My old Blueberry iBook's handle cracked after a few weeks of regular use. Most of the original iBook owners I've spoken with tell me they never use the handle. Carrying cases are a better option for transport, and protect the entire laptop.

yamadataro
Jan 23, 2003, 05:20 AM
Handles? Never used one on a notebook.
The ones for the PowerMac G4s are very useful, I must say since they are real heavy. Not sure about the handle for notebooks though. Don't we put a notebook in a bag when you carry it around?

Well, yeah maybe when you carry it around in the office or home, it might make sense. But the handle will make the portables heavier/bulkier for sure.

MacFan25
Jan 23, 2003, 08:21 AM
Why not just carry it in a carrying case or backpack?

IndyGopher
Jan 23, 2003, 08:38 AM
Handles on the original iBooks made sense, the case on them was rugged, scratch resistant, had rubberized bits around the bottom (when it was being carried) corners, and there was 2-3" of extra cushion around the screen. They were meant to be carried that way, and had the handles to prove it. The new iBooks, as well as the current and new PowerBooks, weren't meant to be bounced around without a case, and have no handles to discourage you from doing exactly that. Everyone is always saying how Apple has these great designers, and then they insist that they themselves have an idea (like adding handles to the new iBooks or the now-old TiBooks) that Apple didn't think of.. of COURSE Apple thought of it.. they just had the sense to know it was a bad idea.

chmorley
Jan 23, 2003, 09:48 AM
My wife has one a graphite iBook SE. In terms of functionality, I believe it is the best laptop I have ever seen. Its ergonomics are great (my wife resists getting a new iBook because it doesn't have the rounded edge where her wrists rest that like the original). It is rugged. The handle has help up through lots of use. She loves it. Unfortunately, people weren't pleased with the aesthetics of the design, so they didn't sell well enough.

I saw a TiBook with a 3rd party handle the other day. It looked all right. It doesn't fit seamlessly into the design the way the original iBook's handle did, but it looks all right.

Chris

regan
Jan 23, 2003, 12:22 PM
I have the SE ibook as well. What a workhorse that computer was! The handle was great. I knocked that sucker around and it is the sturdiest computer I've ever owned. The bottom rubber has peeled up...the thing has scratches all over it, but it still works like a charm. I love it. But sadly Its time to upgrade.

I'm waiting for the 15" alumabook. I have seen the 12" version upclose...and of course I've seen the Tibook. They are GREAT computers as well. Beautifuly designed...and with the speed I need.

They are highly portable as well...HOWEVER...I DEFINATELY will baby them more than I did the clamshell ibook. The Tibooks and alumabooks are thin and light enough to carry easily...but I will miss the handle of the ibook. But then I wouldn't carelessly swing the ti or aluma books around by a handle like I did the ibook. The ibook was a MONSTER...took all sorts of abuse.

The Tis and alumas need more special care for sure. I'm gonna get a padded knapsack and really take it easy at first.

I'm keeping my ibook for certain "rough" trips into the wild...and will hold onto it until it explodes...falls off a cliff or meets some other demise rendering it unusable. And even then, I think I will use it as a paper weight or hang it on me wall.

janey
Jan 23, 2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by regan
And even then, I think I will use it as a paper weight or hang it on me wall.

Hang it on your wall? How are you going to achieve such a thing...besides, Apple would replace it for you.

GeeYouEye
Jan 23, 2003, 07:10 PM
I had a rev. A iBook. The handle was the best. The only reason I used a carrying case was because my parents didn't want it stolen, and I needed to carry around a few accessories that didn't have a handle... the StyleWriter 2200 for example, and the power yo-yo.

Chomolungma
Jan 23, 2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by GeneR
Hello,

I'm drooling for a 17" A|PB but I also realized: "Hey! I'm too used to having a handle! What about a handle?" I have the first SE iBooks and rely on that feature daily. Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch!

:)

I carry my TiBook, well, like a book (because it is so thin). I don't think a Dell Laptop will work.
I often carry it along with my notepad (ironic, be that as it may, I still write), and most time with a thin book or magazine. The power adaptor goes into my pant pocket. Security? I know I should be more careful, however, when I carry or use it, the TiBook rarely leave my sight.

I hope the AlBook is tougher than the TiBook particularly the back cover of the screen.

cultural aside: If your are a student in need of a 17' AlBook the discounted price is $2999 (Awesome!!).

Over Achiever
Jan 23, 2003, 11:36 PM
The handle on the ti that you are talking about is made by cyber3, and it is called the Tote and Tilt handle...it's handy because it also raises the back of the tibook so improve cooling of the ti.

You can find it here (http://www.themacshoppe.biz/ti_tote.html).

http://www.themacshoppe.biz/images/ti_side_sm.jpghttp://www.themacshoppe.biz/images/ti_back_sm.jpg

Unfortunately they cannot make a similar product for the 12/17" Alubooks because of the new hinge design. Since it is like the iBook hinge, the handle would probably look like this:
http://www.themacshoppe.biz/images/ibook/ibbkup.jpghttp://www.themacshoppe.biz/images/ibook/ib_side.jpg

IMO this isn't as elegant of a solution as the handle for the tibook, but will probably be the design used if one wants a handle on the new powerbooks.