Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surajnangia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Hi

I just wanted to know if the bose headphones are worth buying with my 5g ipod

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
DO NOT buy the $150 Tri-Port model. While the sound is fine [for me...not looking for BoseBashers™ to come out of the woodwork:rolleyes:], there are better to be found for less money, but the main reason to avoid these is that the headband has a cheap plastic component that splits with minimal torquing. Bose has happily sent me two replacement pairs so far, but this latest set is also cracked (the ear piece will slide completely off). They seem to last about 6 months or so.
I think I'm going to buy something else. Even though I can get them replaced again, it just isn't worth the hassle. These things never leave the bedroom. I only use them while watching DVD's on my PowerBook so I do not disturb my wife while she reads. It's not like I'm wearing them while I'm moshing, for cripes' sake.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
zelmo said:
The main reason to avoid these is that the headband has a cheap plastic component that splits with minimal torquing. It's not like I'm wearing them while I'm moshing, for cripes' sake.

He speaks the truth. Same thing happened to mine.

Portability is an issue, too. Are you going to be carrying these around? You can't exactly wrap them around your pod...

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
iGary said:
Which ones?

I think Shure makes a better set of phones, if you don't mind in-ear models. I love my E3C's.
Hey iGary, were the ones you have the $300 model? I tried a pair, I don't know which model they were-just that they were $300-and they hissed and cracked something fierce. I really want a pair of these and I'm hoping it was just a defective set that I tried, but I can't drop $300 without knowing for sure that I'll get the most bang for my buck.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Bose tends to be *way* over-priced for the money.

If you have a budget and musical style (in general) in mind, head over to head-fi.org and ask the audio geeks that lurk around there.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I recently bought the TriPorts... Supposedly they fixed the issue with the headband. Does anyone have a pic of a broken pair? It'd be interesting to compare mine against that pic.

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
yeah, the triports have quite a flimsy build. mine broke after a couple of weeks without excessive use. however, the quietcomfort2s are a better pair. i've owned the QC2 rev. A (champagne gold color) and now the rev. B (silver color) and i noticed that the newer ones had a higher frequency range. i like the fact that they can cancel out noise without having something in your ear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.