PDA

View Full Version : Best Packaging for Shipping a PowerMac G5

nrd
Feb 23, 2006, 03:01 PM
Ok, I don't have the original box for my G5. I assumed I was going to keep that machine forever. Well, as much as I love that machine, my needs are pushing me towards something more mobile.

I intend to sell the G5, probably over eBay. I'd like for the purchaser to pick it up, if at all possible. If pickup/delivery is not an option because of distance, I'd have to ship it. My question to you is, are there any good replacement boxes/containers I could safely ship this thing in, or am I going to have to result to hacking together my own shipping container?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

adk
Feb 23, 2006, 04:43 PM
If you're not willing to ship on ebay, you'll take a big price hit of at least $200. For something as expensive as a PMG5, I'd recommend taking it to the UPS store and having them package and ship it insured. I have no idea what they charge to package things, but the PM is a pretty average shape, so it shouldn't be too bad.

hyperpasta
Feb 23, 2006, 05:44 PM
Be careful! Without the styrofoam inserts that came with your Power Mac, the handles will bend en route... I don't know how to get replacement inserts, but maybe someone else knows.

pdpfilms
Feb 23, 2006, 05:45 PM
If you're not willing to ship on ebay, you'll take a big price hit of at least $200. For something as expensive as a PMG5, I'd recommend taking it to the UPS store and having them package and ship it insured. I have no idea what they charge to package things, but the PM is a pretty average shape, so it shouldn't be too bad.
Agreed. Leave the trouble up to UPS and if you insure it, they'll cover both damages and missing packages, versus no damage insurance if you pack it yourself.

nrd
Feb 23, 2006, 07:55 PM
Agreed. Leave the trouble up to UPS and if you insure it, they'll cover both damages and missing packages, versus no damage insurance if you pack it yourself.

Thank you, both of you. This didn't occur to me... and I live across the street from a UPS store. :o

adk
Feb 23, 2006, 07:57 PM
Be careful! Without the styrofoam inserts that came with your Power Mac, the handles will bend en route... I don't know how to get replacement inserts, but maybe someone else knows.

Which is why everything should be left up to the UPS store... zero liability on his part.

tjwett
Feb 23, 2006, 11:07 PM
how about this free method that will guarantee the proper box? call Apple Care and file a service ticket saying your machine is broken. they'll overnight you a box specifically made for shipping your G5. just use it how you wish. i've done it, works great and Apple didn't seem to care one bit. :)

cb911
Mar 1, 2006, 07:05 AM
haha, nice one tjwett! :D

i wish you could do that in Australia... i have a PowerMac G5 i've got to ship up from Sydney to Brisbane... i didn't even think about protecting the handles! :eek:
also the PM i've got to ship is in an iMac box. :o

does anyone have pictures to a fully packed PM G5? so i can see what kind of packaging i need to organize?

and nrd - how'd you go? did you end up shipping the PM?? what did you use?

nrd
Mar 2, 2006, 10:35 PM
how'd you go? did you end up shipping the PM?? what did you use?

I live right across the street from a UPS store, so I lugged the G5 over there and paid for them to package it. I told them that the handles are dentable and that the entire package is fragile. With the cost of insurance and packaging, I was only slightly over what I specified as cost of shipping on the auction, but it saved me the trouble and worry of properly shipping it.

danielbailey
Mar 2, 2006, 10:54 PM
"Apple din't seem to care one bit" Did you ask them if they would send you a free box because you were selling your computer?

...long silence...

Didn't think so...

Thanks tjwett for admitting that you make apple computers more expensive for the rest of us.

tjwett said: how about this free method that will guarantee the proper box? call Apple Care and file a service ticket saying your machine is broken. they'll overnight you a box specifically made for shipping your G5. just use it how you wish. i've done it, works great and Apple didn't seem to care one bit.

tjwett
Mar 2, 2006, 11:04 PM
"Apple din't seem to care one bit" Did you ask them if they would send you a free box because you were selling your computer?

...long silence...

Didn't think so...

Thanks tjwett for admitting that you make apple computers more expensive for the rest of us.

tjwett said: how about this free method that will guarantee the proper box? call Apple Care and file a service ticket saying your machine is broken. they'll overnight you a box specifically made for shipping your G5. just use it how you wish. i've done it, works great and Apple didn't seem to care one bit.

yikes. would it make you feel better personally if i told you i sent Apple $20 for the box? i didn't, but if it will make you feel better then i'll say it. cheer up man. everything will be ok.

velocityg4
Mar 2, 2006, 11:13 PM
Why don't you try selling it on Craigs list for your area? www.craigslist.com
Track similar G5's on ebay for their going rate then list on Craigslist for that price. Keep posting it there maybe dropping up to $100/$150 (the hit you will take on ebay for their fees and Paypal fees). Craigslist is great because you can do the transaction for cash and in person. Believe me this site works often I get rid of something within hours of posting.

tjwett
Mar 2, 2006, 11:24 PM
Why don't you try selling it on Craigs list for your area? www.craigslist.com
Track similar G5's on ebay for their going rate then list on Craigslist for that price. Keep posting it there maybe dropping up to $100/$150 (the hit you will take on ebay for their fees and Paypal fees). Craigslist is great because you can do the transaction for cash and in person. Believe me this site works often I get rid of something within hours of posting.

another vote for craigers. just my G5 last week (miss it already). one of many very successful local, friendly and in-person transactions i've had over the years through craigs. definitely worth a shot if there is a listing for your area. *EDIT: i see you're in Jersey now. shouldn't have a problem unloading it. just be aware that you WILL get fake replies from the Nigerian fraud scammers. just ignore them, very easy to spot. don't know what your system is but just as a watermark, i got $1500 for my dual 1.8 w/1.25 GB RAM, stock 80GB hard drive and stock 64MB video. the market is nice at least.

nrd
Mar 3, 2006, 05:59 AM
Craig's List was where I initially posted it. I received many offers, but no one came through. I even drove out to Elizabeth to meet a New Yorker half way, only to find that he didn't want it. I've dealt with CL several times before and hd great luck with it, it's just that this time I couldn't get one buyer that was reliable.

I eBayed it, required immediate payment and offered a buy-it-now price. The machine sold in less than a day to someone in Flatbush, and even though it was somewhat local, it was worth more to me to ship it than attempt a meeting. The buyer paid for shipping, anyway.

Thanks again for all your advice.

cb911
Mar 3, 2006, 06:04 AM
about CraigsList... i tried to post my PB for sale on the Brisbane (Australia) Craigslist site - and i got a message telling me that i had something like phone numbers in an ad? WTF?!!! :mad: i listed the price of the machine, and numbers in some specs - that's it. i've tried dozens of times since to list it - and i can't! :(

brianhuevo
Oct 30, 2010, 06:24 PM
Ok, I don't have the original box for my G5. I assumed I was going to keep that machine forever. Well, as much as I love that machine, my needs are pushing me towards something more mobile.

I intend to sell the G5, probably over eBay. I'd like for the purchaser to pick it up, if at all possible. If pickup/delivery is not an option because of distance, I'd have to ship it. My question to you is, are there any good replacement boxes/containers I could safely ship this thing in, or am I going to have to result to hacking together my own shipping container?.

I now find myself in exactly the same situation and would ideally be looking for the original G5 packaging.

Can this bought from Apple? Should i try my luck at the Apple store in the hope that demo model packaging could be obtained?

Any advice much appreciated. :)

cb911
Oct 30, 2010, 06:38 PM
The only advice I can give is to alot of bubble wrap/padding on the corners if you can't get an original box. I couldn't - I just packed it up using what I thought to be a suitable amount of bubble wrap and extra card on the corners. But turns out that wasn't enough I sold it on eBay and got a message back saying that it was smashed. I had images in my head of a completely demolished G5. But the buyer sent pictures and it was just one handle with a bit of dent in it. Still I wonder how that could happen - I had it marked as fragile so I'm betting that the courier would have had to throw it around a bit for that damage to occur.

Some more info on packaging - I am selling a PC case at the moment and I did keep the packaging for this one. The case is 20cm wide and the packaging is 30cm wide, so 5cm each side with the molded foam. So I'd plan to add even more than that if you're doing your own bubble wrap.

brianhuevo
Oct 30, 2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the swift response cb911...

Yup, that's why i'm reluctant to diy the packaging.

I'm looking for the least stress option but failing that i could sell local and stand to take a bigger hit on the sale price.

raysfan81
Oct 31, 2010, 12:37 PM
I now find myself in exactly the same situation and would ideally be looking for the original G5 packaging.

Can this bought from Apple? Should i try my luck at the Apple store in the hope that demo model packaging could be obtained?

Any advice much appreciated. :)

Sometimes people sell the original product boxes and foam inserts on eBay so you could give that a try.

666sheep
Nov 1, 2010, 04:26 PM
Handles in G5s and MPs are most fragile parts of whole enclosure. It's important to secure them properly, epecially when computer will be shipped in non-original box.
I've shipped about 30+ G5s (separately ofc) in my "custom boxes" with 0% damages.
My trick is: put few PET bottles (with tightened caps) at the bottom of the box. Next put a layer of card, then computer on it (bubble wrap won't hurt ofc). Exactly that same on top. Place stickers with arrows which are directing where top is. Box dimensione should possibly close to original one (25 - 30 cm wide, like cb911 wrote). You can always combine your "custom box" from these which you can get. Card must be thick and strong enough. Use sharp knife and duct tape.
I've shipped G5s like that using my local courier services and no damage was happened to them.