PDA

View Full Version : ibook Purchase

noelmac75
Jan 23, 2003, 06:42 AM
I'am thinking of purchasing a ibook 700/12.1 CDR, I've never owned a laptop before, I've always worked from desktops, I'am really keen on the price, do u think I should go for it or get my old powermac 4400/200 fixed as the power supply in that dies.

Adurbe
Jan 23, 2003, 07:48 AM
Without doubt go for the laptop.

You will be amazed at the speed difference over a 4400 and you will be able to run OSX at full speed (quartz and all) :cool:

Your only limiting factor will be most(if not all) of your 4400's periferals will no longer be usable unless you buy an adapter (due to lack of approriate port)

noelmac75
Jan 23, 2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Adurbe
Without doubt go for the laptop.

You will be amazed at the speed difference over a 4400 and you will be able to run OSX at full speed (quartz and all) :cool:

Your only limiting factor will be most(if not all) of your 4400's periferals will no longer be usable unless you buy an adapter (due to lack of approriate port)

I already have a powermac G4 450mhz, will i be able to the same stuff just as fast on my ibook, like photoshop/quark/internet explorer itunes etc.. ? Also is the casing on the ibook 700mhz 12.1 different than 800mhz 12.1?

Adurbe
Jan 23, 2003, 09:43 AM
The casing itself is exacly the same

You will easily be able to perform FCp and other similar tasks, the G3 however has not got an altivec unit that the G4 has (altivec speeds up those kinda programs) but due to the fact its 700mhz the overall rendering will probibly be a touch qiucker....

CrackedButter
Jan 23, 2003, 12:38 PM
If you really like the price then okay, or you could wait because they are going to update the ibooks soon.

Its a pity the 12" 700mhz model doesn't have a CDRW or DVD player as standard instead of a just a CD drive.

Tommy!
Jan 23, 2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by noelmac75

Also is the casing on the ibook 700mhz 12.1 different than 800mhz 12.1?

yes, it is different. In the current iBook line, the low end ($999) model has an interior casing that is much cheaper. You can see and feel the difference. It makes no difference for functionality, but it's not the same. The 700MHz iBooks from the last generation, however, have the better casing on the inside :)

yzedf
Jan 23, 2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Tommy!

yes, it is different. In the current iBook line, the low end ($999) model has an interior casing that is much cheaper. You can see and feel the difference. It makes no difference for functionality, but it's not the same. The 700MHz iBooks from the last generation, however, have the better casing on the inside :)

The 700 has a solid white plastic casing.

The rest have clear plastic that is painted white on the inside.

The solid white is very cheap looking... IMO.

MacFan25
Jan 23, 2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by yzedf

The 700 has a solid white plastic casing.

The rest have clear plastic that is painted white on the inside.

The solid white is very cheap looking... IMO.

Hmmm....I didn't know that. But anyway, I would go for the iBook.