PDA

View Full Version : Weirdo Clicking Problem on 5G

panoz7
Feb 24, 2006, 12:00 PM
Iím having an incredibly strange problem with my 30 gig 5G. The clicker still functions when its off. I immediately turned off the clicker when I got it so I never noticed this behavior before. I had to restore it the other day for an unrelated reason, and the clicker was turned back on by default. I decided to give the clicker a try (I still hate itÖ but thatís a different story) and noticed that the clicker still makes noise when the ipods been turned off.

Hereís whatís happening: I put the iPod to sleep like usual by holding down the play button for a few seconds. Once the screen goes black I immediately let off the button. After this point if I move my finger around the scroll wheel (as if I was scrolling like normal) the clicker still makes the noise. The iPod doesnít wake up until I push a button like normal. This doesnít happen if I put the ipod to sleep using the menu button.

I know this really doesnít mater (I prefer having the clicker off anyway) but Iím kind of curious whatís going on, and if it perhaps is a precursor to a more serious problem. Most people canít get it to do it, so Iím wondering if maybe its my technique in shutting the iPod off. I seem to be doing it exactly the same way as everyone else though. Is it possible the click wheel is screwed up somehow. It does seem to be slightly loose, and it certainly isnít the same quality as the ones on my older iPods.

SoÖ any ideas? Thanks.

exeterbohemian
Feb 24, 2006, 08:00 PM
i have no idea what could be causing this, although i noticed the same exact thing last week on my 5g. my guess is that it's not powering down entirely or something. i noticed that if you count the clicks going in either direction, the number is the same as the number of available menu options from the last screen prior to shutdown.

panoz7
Feb 24, 2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the reply. I just counted the clicks, and you're right, it is the same number as the number of menu choices. So I guess this means it isn't powering down properly. Do you think that its using extra power in this state? Should I take it in to the apple store and try to get a new one? Am I complaining for no reason? Hehe... at least I know I'm not going entirely crazy. :)

john159
Feb 24, 2006, 09:29 PM
take it back and get one that works.. you spent atleast 300 on it.. you shouldnt hold on to it if it isnt functioning properly

Scarlet Fever
Feb 24, 2006, 10:45 PM
my mates 5G (windows format) does it as well, as does my 3G iPod (mac format). Could owners of 1, 2 and 4G iPods check this as well? Im thinking this may be an issue for full-size iPods only, because my sisters 2G Mini doesnt do this.

EDIT: I tried it on a 5G 60GB iPod (windows format) and it doesn't do it... hmm...

panoz7
Feb 24, 2006, 11:06 PM
my mates 5G does it as well, as does my 3G iPod. Could owners of 1, 2 and 4G iPods check this as well? Im thinking this may be an issue for full-size iPods only, because my sisters 2G Mini doesnt do this.

Ok... so I've been playing around with this a bit more. I normally don't get obsessed over stuff like this, but now I'm curious... anyway, I've tried this on two minis and a nano, and it doesn't happen on any of those. No one in my dorm seems to have a full size one though, so I'm really not sure about that. Thanks again for your help... I guess I'll just have to take a trip to the apple store this weekend... what torture!

exeterbohemian
Feb 25, 2006, 01:19 AM
i have a 3g and have never had this problem with it. as far as the 5g is concerned, if this has something to do with the unit not powering down properly, i would expect perhaps some decrease in battery life. however, so far my unit seems to be functioning properly for it's full life charge. depending on how prominent this problem is, i wouldn't necessarily view it as immediate cause for concern. it does sound to me more like hardware problem than a firmware one though.

ArcTeryx
Feb 25, 2006, 01:21 AM
I know the Ipod stays powered (but turns the screen off) for about a minute so maybe that's the prob?

hcuar
Feb 25, 2006, 06:06 PM
I had the same problem with my 4G. It fixed itself when I changed from Windows to Mac formating. :rolleyes:

Revlimit Punk
Feb 25, 2006, 08:46 PM
4G 40GB iPod (mac formatted, non updated to the last firmware revision) i own does not show this problem.

I am curious about why you want to shut it down though. I just put it on pause and forget it since it goes to sleep by itself in a minute or so.