Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmeredith85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
I just received my iBook G4 back from Apple Support and it was covered in blue adhesive - I've spoken with Apple Support about this and they said I could send it back to have it cleaned, but I really don't have time to send this laptop in again. Are there any ways that you have tried to remove adhesive from the casing of an iBook?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Where is it on the casing? You could do it with general purpose adhesive remover. It's usually citrus smelling but it's really oily. (Petroleum distillate) I wouldn't want to get it on the keyboard or LCD.

cmeredith85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Eidorian said:
Where is it on the casing? You could do it with general purpose adhesive remover. It's usually citrus smelling but it's really oily. (Petroleum distillate) I wouldn't want to get it on the keyboard or LCD.

It's right over the Apple on the top of the case.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
cmeredith85 said:
It's right over the Apple on the top of the case.
Well then just get some adhesive remover and apply some to a paper towel. Wipe the blue gunk with the moist paper towel and let the remover sit for 5-10 minutes. It should wipe off or it might take some fingernail work.

It comes in spray cans and in bottles. I've found it in hardware stores and most department stores.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=51423378&pfp=BROWSE

http://www.citrusmagic.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=614170984

The brand doesn't really matter. Just make sure you don't use too much. It's not very viscous and runs easily.

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
My iBook G4 "Spinnerz" and I have weathered all types of minor mishaps in our travels together -- tree sap (Vermont), bird poo (Italy), lipstick smears (Japan), sticky tape and Bandaids (an airstrip near Qatar) and my tool of choice is alcohol daubed on a large cotton puff that has been first dampened with water, then squeezed dry. One year later, Spinnerz still sparkles and works like a racehorse. Best of all, this First Aid Kit is universally available and inexpensive.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
GITANAJAVA said:
My iBook G4 "Spinnerz" and I have weathered all types of minor mishaps in our travels together -- tree sap (Vermont), bird poo (Italy), lipstick smears (Japan), sticky tape and Bandaids (an airstrip near Qatar) and my tool of choice is alcohol daubed on a large cotton puff that has been first dampened with water, then squeezed dry. One year later, Spinnerz still sparkles and works like a racehorse. Best of all, this First Aid Kit is universally available and inexpensive.
I haven't had as much success with rubbing alcohol as you. But it does work. :cool:

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
Cotton batting + Rubbing Alcohol + ....

Cotton batting + Rubbing Alcohol + Desperate Determination + 1 Yet-to-be-named airstrip near Qatar = One clean iBook, intact, with Owner, also intact. :D

It's the Desperate Determination that gets it done.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Here's what I use and recommened.

Get a single $1 Mr. Clearn Magic Eraser. Let a very little amount of hot water sink into it. Rinse out the water and erase away the mark. This sounds crazy, but I waxed the top of my laptop with Zymol car wax (what I use on my car).

I have taken out everything encountered from pen marks to small scratches.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
Goo Gone on a cotton rag.

Dab it on the adhesive marks, let it sit no longer that 2 mins.

Gently wipe it off with dry cotton rag.

It's a little oily, so you may want to use some rubbing alcohol afterwards,to dry it out.

cmeredith85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Thanks for the recommendations - I've tried rubbing alcohol and the Magic Eraser and neither made any dent in the adhesive. I'm going to try the other recommendations and cross my fingers that I don't have to send this thing back into Apple Support.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
If you try any of the others.....just be sure that NONE touches the track-pad. It will stop working.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Apple owes you a new top lid part. Just tell 'em to send it. That's ridiculous and I would throw a fit if it were my pristine iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.