Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Cory Vance writes in with the observation/link from Apple's Educational Store that shows AppleWorks 6.2 being available for Windows as well as Mac:

System Requirements

AppleWorks 6.2 for Windows

* A PC with a Pentium processor
* 32MB of physical RAM
* Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, or Windows 2000
* A CD-ROM (for installation)
* An Internet connection*
* QuickTime 4.1.2 or higher
* Internet Explorer 5

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Apple strike back

Is about time to develop some things for windows too... or not? My mac has lots of Microsoft extensions, it looks lek they do that in porpuse just to have their name in a Mac. If you time MS in the Get Find, you would see not less than 60 incons with MS. Apple just have Quick Time in PCs.

Zaren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2000
Why not?

It's happened before... there was already a version of ClarisWorks (ver. 4, I believe) that ran on Windows. Just as a time reference, I was playing with it on some Windows laptop the last time that Best Buy was selling Macs... around the same time that I played with a MacTV that they had on display.

U

Unregistered

Appkeworks for Windows

Had the educational copy since last June and yes it works for windows.

Your Pal

G4 Mac User

U

Unregistered

Yeah, they've had an educational version of Works for windows since v6 was released last year. Its kind of a dirty little secret; just a way to silence the school admins who complain about cross-compatibility in their mixed platform K-12 environment and prevent defections. Kind of silly you can't buy it at retail, why waste the development dollars and not try to market it as broadly as possible?

Does Apple really think people buy macs to get Appleworks?

They lost the office suite battle a long time ago.

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
woooohoooo

i have two old pcs and i love appleworks

i am on it and i will ask my apple store fro one

this is so cool

now, let's give os x to intel so they can see how great we are, and it may give apple a few extra billion in the mean time so you can put apple ads on every superbowl and regualr season game until all jocks will think they need to compute and run photoshop filters faster than the pc world

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Maybe AppleWorks isn't the answer, but if you really want to hurt MS, you have to put a dent in their Office revenues. Windows is NOT the prime source of cash to MS, it's Office. And the money they charge for that garbageware is unbelievable.

To me, MS Office is the worst, most expensive piece of software ever created and the software industry's surrender to it is a huge problem. But the only way to attack it will be to stop cloning it. It doesn't help when Lotus, Corel, Sun and Apple put out different flavors of the same bad soup.

I want a word processor customized for writers ... not stuffed with 300 crap processes intended for secretaries that are irrelevant to me and turn the software into a bloated mess. Why are the simple things in Word (like changing the default background and fonts or formatting for screenplays, novels and articles) so difficult?

If some competitor ... WordPerfect, Lotus, StarOffice or AppleWorks ... could start there, maybe they'll be onto something. I don't need Excel and I sure as hell don't want Outlook (or Entourage.) Just give me a word processor that makes it easy for me to do what I need it to do and nothing more.

U

Unregistered

Wordperfect for Mac was a great alternative before it was axed. I remember it started up in about .5 second, compared to the 20-30sec wait for Word at the time.

Nisuswriter (still available?) usually gets good reviews for straight writing.

As for getting Appleworks for Windows, you can only order it I think if you are a K-12 educator (I think that even higher education customers can't get it).

That's what I find silly. If they spent the money to port the thing, just release it to everyone. Do they really that keeping Appleworks exclusively on the Mac is attracting convertees?

Gimmee a break.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Yes, there are some alternatives for word processors. But what I have in mind is a radical reshaping of the product.

Let's say, for sake of argument, that WordPerfect really wanted to distinguish themselves in the marketplace. They could customize WP in a number of different flavors:

* WordPerfect legal ... already their #1 market; this version would include specialized legal formatting and templates.

* WordPerfect for writers ... take out a lot of the pointless features for secretaries and add in one-click formatting for novels, screenplays, business writing formats, etc.

* WordPerfect executive ... would be customized for managers and executives, focusing on easy formatting for memos, letters, e-mail, perhaps some PowerPoint compatible features.

Etc., etc ... the idea being that the one-size fits all word processor forces people to adjust to it ... software should suit the purpose of the user. The only important feature of MS Word is its file compatibility.

Make the software available via the web, you can download and add-in new features as you need them. The key would be guaranteeing 100% compatibility with MS Word. If you could convince IT managers that there's absolutely no reason to install bloated MS Office packages on every PC, you could really put some hurt into Microsoft.

It just astounds me that some people will spend thousands of dollars running away from MS, then will install MS Office on OS X. That's surrender, folks. Office is the REAL enemy.

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
I didn't know

I didn't know that it was available for Windows.

I recently bought the new iMac. I'm a convert.

BUT...

I have three networked Windows PCs. I hate M$ bloated software and their licensing "strategy." I don't want to support M$ in any way any more.

I have M$ Office 2000 on one of my machines, got a license from where I work.

I will not shell out $$$ for M$ crap!

If I am qualified, I will buy several licenses of AppleWorks for Windows.

This is great news!!

U

Unregistered

Cory Vance Here.

I found this very interesting since it doesn't show up in the main Apple Store. We have 10 PCs at work (not my choice), and if we could get AW on the PC (assuming Word and Excell compatibility) it would be much cheaper than buying 10 copies of office or 10 copies of Word and 10 copies of Excell.

I called the Apple Store (Canada) and the guy didn't really seem to know if Apple even sells the PC version outside of EDu, or even if they could get it. Apparently there is no EDU Apple Store in Canada (online at least.)

I am trying to convert my office to all Mac, and to get people familiar with Apple products would help immensly, especially something like this which demonstrates compatibility with the Windows world.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
At my college we used Appleworks on Windows 98 almost 2 years ago. At that time it was Appleworks 5 and it worked well on the Windows machines. The computers also had Office 98 on them, but we used the Appleworks for different things, especially spreadsheets for making up grade books. Heck I even got an Appleworks 5 manual laying around here somewhere that we were required to buy for the course and it covers using Appleworks on both Mac and Windows. At the end of the course they changed to the version 6...so I got stuck with the manual...oh well...maybe it will be a collectors edition...hehehe

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I purchased AppleWorks 5 back when it was in stores, and the cd came with both the Mac and pc version on it. I have installed that on other pc's that either I own, or belong to family that cannot afford to get m$ office. It works great, and can open up office documents. I do not know about office 2k or xp, but I would hope that AppleWorks 6 (pc flavor) would handle that.

Appleworks is an excellent application, especially for what it costs. Where else can you get essentially the full office suite for under $100??? the only part I am not sure about is if it has PowerPoint features.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Yeah Alpha, the version 6 does have a pretty good presentation application built into it...not as good as PowerPoint...but easier to use then HyperStudio...at least in my judgement...

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Been working with AppleWorks 5 since late spring of 1999 on my Toshiba; beats MSworks easily in all aspects (I know, as I recently got that program...). Ordered direct from Apple, but there wasn't a requirement that you be connected with a school at the time. (Weird how they changed the rules... Influence from Microsoft, perhaps?)

Won't upgrade to the new one, though. A5 is good enough. Besides, already have two versions of 6: one for both os9 and X. Why have another?

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Good morning!

Yes, AW has been available for the PC for awhile. There was even a PC trial version of ClarisWorks 5. So this is nothing really new. One thing that surprises me is that Apple doesn't promote AppleWorks more. I think it is a great set of programs, just as good as any other Office suite (at just a fraction of the cost when compared to MS Office or Corel Suite). Even Apple seems to say that OS X wasn't much until MS Office came around. Now, I'm no fan of Microsoft, but I think that Office is also a decent product, but here are my main quirks with it:

1) It's WAAAAAAY too expensive!
2) Not as many applications as AW.
3) It's still WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!
4) I can buy 3 full copies of AW6 (educational version) or 2 full copies (standard version) of AW6 for just the upgrade cost of Office v. X.

Seriously, folks. If the upgrade was $50, then I might think about it, but not until then.

I haven't bothered too much with putting AppleWorks 6 on a PC, mostly because I use a Mac, but I'm somewhat tempted to put it on a co-worker's computer (who is also a Mac fan, but uses the PC at work), so any word processor documents can be sent to me in AW format, not Word. Yes, there is the datalink translator in AW, but it's not perfect.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by AlphaTech

Appleworks is an excellent application, especially for what it costs. Where else can you get essentially the full office suite for under $100??? the only part I am not sure about is if it has PowerPoint features.

Only one answer: Star Office (or OpenOffice). At least the last time I looked, Star Office was a free download, with a great drawing program, word processor...several other things which I never touched, but I'm guessing there is a spreadsheet, and perhaps a presentation program, too. I'd have to take another look to be certain. Anyways, when I used Linux, I used Star Office for some word processing.

I've only done one presentation before, and when I did it, I used AW's Presentation. Once again, this made me the black sheep while close to everyone else in my class used PowerPoint. My point is, Presentation was easy and intuitive enough that I was able to do most everything I wanted. And anything I couldn't immediately figure out, I used the Help system (one of the great assets of a Mac...decent help systems).

U

Unregistered

HHHHEEEELLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOO

If schools are buying a lot of Macs AND PeeCees, how do you easily share documents between them? Word translation really bites. Now files are natively opened and saved. Apple would never expect to get marketshare from Office.

Now, on the other hand, there is a high potential opportunity here if Apple could push the Value Per Dollar to get some customers. For $79, you can buy a program that has had history/evolution all the way from before the IBM PC/XT. Image if Apple actually gave the Windows version of Apple Works away for free to PeeCee users for a limited time/quantity. Maybe Apple could run a commercial on TV during the SuperBowl that says anyone showing a receipt for a PeeCee purchase in the last month that comes into an Apple Store gets a free copy.

QuickTime is a must on PeeCees for opening .mov's, but if you could get people to LIKE/TRUST Apples software (whatever the initial cost) you might get them to go into an Apple Store and buy Apple Computers.

A

Achbas

I noticed that a long time ago. I think it's a good idea because it show the elegance of Apple to Windows users.

samy85114

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2001
I just want to know how many of you are using AppleWorks.... probably some of you prefer Office, I know it's a Bill-made software but, i don't care, it work well and it can execute almost all I want, that's why I guess Apple should want to release their software for windows. As far as i know, Appleworks is not that popular... but the reason is simple, Office is better, especially for Os X, the team who developed it did a pretty great job!

But you know, that's my opinion!

ilikeiBook

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
cool

Appleworks 6.2 kicks, so why not allow everyone to use it? it could help apple alot to release some software for windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.