PDA

View Full Version : settle for 15 inch powerbook?




direzz
Feb 25, 2006, 10:19 AM
after seeing alot of the problems people have been getting with the rev a mac book pros, do you think it would be wiser for me to just settle for a pb 15"? i would be using it for photoshop, webdesign, macromedia, and some maya.

but some great features of the macbook pro like the brighter screen get me. i have to say that the powerbook screens are very dark. anywyas. this is also a cost issue. right now i have just enogh for the macbook pro, which costs 2299 canadian which is 2700 after taxes.

input please!!



jer2eydevil88
Feb 25, 2006, 10:37 AM
For the moment All that software you mentioned (except maya requires a g5 I think) will run better on the PB 15".

In six months to a year from now the PB 15" will not be half as fast when running the next versions of these programs. So if you want the faster mac for these programs at this point in time buy the PB and yes it will have fewer bugs/kinks. If you want to have the latest greatest and aren't put off by a few little not so horrible revision A bugs then buy the MB-Pro.

TaKashMoney
Feb 25, 2006, 10:40 AM
what problems with the macbook are u hearing?

direzz
Feb 25, 2006, 10:50 AM
what problems with the macbook are u hearing?


well the whirring noise, the too much bright screen at the bottom... and a few other glitches.
i just dont wanna spend alot of money on a computer i really need to work all the time. if the rev a macbook screws up on me i will be so mad. so i think im gonna get the 15 powerbook if i can find one :confused:

kahos
Feb 25, 2006, 11:07 AM
Personally, I would try the macbook pro before I make up my mind. Otherwise you might regret getting the powerbook in a year or two.

What I would do is wait until they receive the macbooks in retail stores like best buy, and buy it from there.

This way if for any reason (defectuosity, not fast enough in rosetta etc...) you would rather get the powerbook instead, you have 14 days to trade it in for a powerbook or get a full refund (there's no restocking fee)

Currently best buy is selling the powerbook 15" for 1999.99$cad but im not sure if they received the macbook pro yet.

steve jr.
Feb 25, 2006, 11:12 AM
And don't forget that Apple isn't selling the 15'' PB anymore, so it will have to come from another location.

direzz
Feb 25, 2006, 11:13 AM
Personally, I would try the macbook pro before I make up my mind. Otherwise you might regret getting the powerbook in a year or two.

What I would do is wait until they receive the macbooks in retail stores like best buy, and buy it from there.

This way if for any reason (defectuosity, not fast enough in rosetta etc...) you would rather get the powerbook instead, you have 14 days to trade it in for a powerbook or get a full refund (there's no restocking fee)

Currently best buy is selling the powerbook 15" for 1999.99$cad but im not sure if they received the macbook pro yet.


hm i didnt know that u have 14 days.. they say they are getting them march 14... decisions decisions. thanks for the input

QCassidy352
Feb 25, 2006, 11:14 AM
the rev. E 15" powerbook had glitches too. Horizontal line issues, over 1 GB of RAM issue... I think there were others.

technicolor
Feb 25, 2006, 11:45 AM
I deciced on a macbook pro. I am computing for 3/4 years not the next few months so after the universal biniaries come out I know that I would be pissed at having paid for a powerbook , when I have unleasehed the power of the macbook pro...so I got the macbook. Besides the glitches arent that bad and thats what applecare is for.

Danksi
Feb 25, 2006, 12:10 PM
I think if I were considering a PowerBook, I'd be looking at a refurb, especially if money was an issue.

Apple.ca has some PBook refurbs (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/70709/wo/QexEk1y6glKB3HA0MAQ1Qh3PCZl/0.0.19.1.0.8.63.0.0.0.0.0.0.3.1.1.0) at the moment.