PDA

View Full Version : Updating iPod uses more space up even without new songs!?

JasonGough
Feb 25, 2006, 10:29 PM
I noticed this a few times now...

when i connect my pod to the dock and iTunes updates the songs that are already on it with playcount info etc, the space remainng on my pod drops down. its like its copying the songs again that have recently been listened to.. i'm down to 500 megs left now and getting worried.

whats the deal here?

Chaszmyr
Feb 25, 2006, 10:38 PM
How much loss of space are we talking about here? A couple mb, a hundred mb, a gb? Have you updated anything other than songs, like adding lyrics, album art, or playlists? Do you have anything other than music on your iPod (calendars, notes, etc)?

tdhurst
Feb 26, 2006, 12:31 AM
Pretty much thinking you might have videos, photos or something else on there. Checked out the prefs lately?

JasonGough
Feb 26, 2006, 07:51 AM
no none of that stuff, i just got an oldschool 4th Gen pod with no video or callender etc...

what i'm talking about is say i'd just listened to an album all the way thru on iTunes, when i connect my pod, it updates all the songs that i've just listened to in iTunes onto my pod. Although those songs were already on my pod, my iPod free space decreases by about 3mb per song, so it seems like its copying the entire files again.

I don't know why it does this, but it seems to be draining the small amount of free space i have on my pod.....

besler3035
Feb 26, 2006, 12:00 PM
no none of that stuff, i just got an oldschool 4th Gen pod with no video or callender etc...

what i'm talking about is say i'd just listened to an album all the way thru on iTunes, when i connect my pod, it updates all the songs that i've just listened to in iTunes onto my pod. Although those songs were already on my pod, my iPod free space decreases by about 3mb per song, so it seems like its copying the entire files again.

I don't know why it does this, but it seems to be draining the small amount of free space i have on my pod.....

The 4th gen iPods have a calendar...I have one myself. The only thing they don't have that I could think of would be taking up memory would be photos and videos.