Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Original poster
I want to allow users to connect to my cpu, but not give them access as an admin like i am, but still let them access my /Music folder...

I want to share idkew/Music when someone logs in as a user named Guest.

The problem is, all they see is the Home directory of Guest, and can not access idkew/Music.

Any way to get this to happen while only giving Guest read access to ONLY idkew/Music? I would also like PC users to get this access.

Thanks.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Hmm...you could try making an alias. I haven't tried it with a Guest login, but I made an alias to my Music folder which is in a separate partition on my iBook. So when I download files on my PC using Kazaa, I can just drop them into this Music folder on my Mac through the magic of Windows File Sharing (but I log in as my own user, not as Guest). Works like a charm.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
If you are familiar with basic Unix chmod stuff, you can go to the root of your home directory and make everything in your home directory except your Music directory not readable/executable by anyone else.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Where's it going to be used like this? On the net or on a LAN? If on a LAN, Get info on the folder and change the everyone else permissions to read-only, or whatever you want. Click apply to all enclosed, or whatever it is, and it should work. If it doesn't put an alias in the guest home folder. The alias, or symlink if necessary should also work for the internet scenario as well.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Original poster
i did change everything BUT Music to no read/write by others, and let others read music.

alais' do not work for pc users.

i am on a lan.

oh- how do i set up what workgroup i am listed in?

the problem is- even though people do techinically have permission to open and read Music, they can not see it. i know they could prolly go to it through its address, but i want a clickable folder, link, alais, that will work for macs and pc's.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Original poster
now when pc users login as user music, and they go from \\x.x.x.x\music to \\x.x.x.x\idkew\* they have all (r/w) access.

I DID NOT give them those priveledges, in fact, user music has no access, except for the idkew\music folder which is read only.

any clues why this is happening? i definitly do not want people getting at my private stuff.

daytona63

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2002
San Diego, CA
This is how I did it

To edit which Workgroup you are in, go to Utilities in Applications and open Directory Access. Click on the little lock at the bottom of the window. Enter your admin shortname and your password. Then, select SMB and click configure. Enter the workgroup name you want to use.

As far as I know, and I think I've read this in an AppleCare document (all of which you can read by using Sherlock and the AppleCare channel), you can't have one Guest user that would allow anybody to access your computer, unless they are themselves logged into their computers as "Guest." From the internet, though, like using ftp or http or something, this would work because you actually login and can choose who you login as.

As for unwanted access, all you have to do is ensure that you are the owner of Music, the group is Staff(Me) with whatever access, and that Others have only read access. This works for me on my home network with my Mac and my roommate's PC.

Hope I could help some...

daytona63

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2002
San Diego, CA
Oh yeah

The bit about logging into a Windows machine with the same username as that which that person logs into the Mac - it only applies to Windows 98. I'm not sure how things work in 2000 and XP, but if that person logs into Windows Filesharing as the same name as they need for the Mac, it'll work.

This needs to be a little simpler, I agree. It's easy for us to access Windows computers on the network, but it is a tad bit more complicated the other way around IF you're not in an organized network, ie a home or school network.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
just do what i did...

i made a separate account just for holding my music...made the account not admin and deleted all the folders out of it (this took some work and the program "delete it") and just put my music in there...changed itunes to read the library from that folder

so now when they log into the computer they will automatically have access to the music folder

if you have more questions about doing it this way, just ask or PM me

idkew

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Re: This is how I did it

Originally posted by daytona63

As for unwanted access, all you have to do is ensure that you are the owner of Music, the group is Staff(Me) with whatever access, and that Others have only read access. This works for me on my home network with my Mac and my roommate's PC.

Hope I could help some...

i have given NO access to everything except idkew/Music, which has read only. still, windows users can access all of my home directory when logged in as a guest.

daytona63

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2002
San Diego, CA

If you go into NetInfo manager in your Utilities folder and select Guest under Groups, it says that the user in Guest is root. I'm guessing that means that when your Windows friends are logging in as Guest, they are actually logging in as the root user, which would explain why they have access to everything. I could be totally wrong though. Maybe you could have them login instead as Friend, or Pal or something like that.

I could be full of it.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Re: Guest

Originally posted by daytona63
If you go into NetInfo manager in your Utilities folder and select Guest under Groups, it says that the user in Guest is root. I'm guessing that means that when your Windows friends are logging in as Guest, they are actually logging in as the root user, which would explain why they have access to everything. I could be totally wrong though. Maybe you could have them login instead as Friend, or Pal or something like that.

I could be full of it.

you gave me an idea.

in netinfo- i made /Users/idkew/Music as user music's home directory. So far I am geting errors when connecting from a pc- not enough priviledges... but i am determind.

any new ideas anyone- i want to get this to work.

also- in directory access i made my smb workgroup as the one i want, but i still do not see my computer on the network!?!?

idkew

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
just do what i did...

i made a separate account just for holding my music...made the account not admin and deleted all the folders out of it (this took some work and the program "delete it") and just put my music in there...changed itunes to read the library from that folder

so now when they log into the computer they will automatically have access to the music folder

if you have more questions about doing it this way, just ask or PM me

that will be my last resort. I would rather do it so I do not have to move 16.8 gb of information.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
sometimes the hardest way is the best.

sometimes there is an easier way. it looks like there isnt one. have you called apple and talked to them??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.