PDA

View Full Version : End of the world coming...

peter2002
Jan 23, 2003, 07:13 PM
In about 500,000,000 years, the Earth as we know it will be destroyed, and there is nothing that can be done about it. For those that thought we had at least 4 billion years, the end will come much sooner.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DyeHard/dyehard.html

edesignuk
Jan 23, 2003, 07:18 PM
That's lucky, I don't think I will have to worry about it ;) :D

Sun Baked
Jan 23, 2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by peter2002
In about 500,000,000 years, the Earth as we know it will be destroyed, and there is nothing that can be done about it. For those that thought we had at least 4 billion years, the end will come much sooner.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DyeHard/dyehard.html Hopefully it doesn't fall on a Friday or Saturday, because that just might ruin my weekend. :p

A Monday would be the most likely candidate.

MrMacMan
Jan 23, 2003, 07:55 PM
Yeah well anyway lets hope we get off this planet before the sun goes, KERBOOM.

I'm sure we will build a roket****s like all of those old Sci-Fi movies.

You know what I'm talking about.

MrMacMan
Jan 23, 2003, 07:56 PM
You censored rocket s h i p s ?

WTF?

alex_ant
Jan 23, 2003, 08:31 PM
My word! What potty mouths we have here.

Shrek
Jan 23, 2003, 10:16 PM
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show His servants--things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John, who bore witness to the word of God, and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, to all things that he saw. Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it, for the time is near. --Revelations 1:1-3 NKJV

Oh yeah. The world is coming to end alright. Very soon, and thankfully in a not so unpleasant way. ;)

Sun Baked
Jan 23, 2003, 10:34 PM
So are rocketships or rocket****s being caught by the word censor.

>MrMacman

I think you used a t instead of a p :p

pimentoLoaf
Jan 23, 2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked

Don't you know nuthin'? The greatest minds at Starfleet have always said stuff happens on Tuesdays, like breakdowns and stuff.

I know this is true, cuz I heard it in some of the Star Trek movies.

resm
Jan 24, 2003, 12:29 AM

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DyeHard/dyehard.html

Small chance that we will be around by then.

But there are other findings that change the picture dramatically.

The change of poles, an event that happend many times before in the history of this planet, has actually started in 1981.

The bad news is that this time the period from when this new ice age has totally settled in and then has ended again, will be to long for humans to be able to survive on this planet.
It will be to cold for to long a time.

The good news is, that this will only happend within the next 3000 years and by then we will have the technology to escape to other planets.

So again...no need to go and book your ticket yet :D

cr2sh
Jan 24, 2003, 04:12 AM
In about 500,000,000 years...

What you're saying is... Today is Friday, January 24, 2003.... and that somewhere around Friday, January 24, 500002003... the world is going to end? All I can say is 'holy freaking rocket****....'

Str8edgepunker
Jan 24, 2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Hopefully it doesn't fall on a Friday or Saturday, because that just might ruin my weekend. :p

Yeah. Monday is a really bad way to spend 1/7 of your life especially if the world ends on that day.

cubist
Jan 24, 2003, 09:48 AM
Well in a few thousand years we should have terraformed Mars, and then it shouldn't take more than another ten thousand years or so to build cities that float in Jupiter's atmosphere. After that it's interstellar travel. Someday we can pick any star and make our own planet.

But we will still have fond memories of our mother planet and its diverse and beautiful plant and animal life...

dabirdwell
Jan 24, 2003, 10:23 AM
Why wouldn't we take that abundant life with us? Surely by then we will be able to preserve species simply with genetic material. Maybe we take it all with us, to populate another temperate planet.

WinterMute
Jan 28, 2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by cubist
Well in a few thousand years we should have terraformed Mars, and then it shouldn't take more than another ten thousand years or so to build cities that float in Jupiter's atmosphere. After that it's interstellar travel. Someday we can pick any star and make our own planet.

But we will still have fond memories of our mother planet and its diverse and beautiful plant and animal life...

The sun should bloat up to red giant status before it goes nova, which should take it's photoshpere out well beyond Mar's orbit!:eek:

I think Jupiter might be safe, but there's no way of knowing what the increased thermal input might do to the giant gasball, Ken McClouds "Cassini Division" had Jupiter igniting into a second sun...

IMO the only way we'll survive heat death as a race is to get offplanet in the next 2-300 years. No need to wory about the sun, we'll drown in our own waste first. FTL drive anyone? Stephen Hawking is of the opinion it's viable (I think), and I'm not going to argue with him
:D

Mr. Anderson
Jan 28, 2003, 09:02 AM
I think humans will be well away from the planet by then. If we don't blow ourselves up in the next century, imagine what we might be able to do in 50,000 years.

I don't think we need to give up hope yet. But it would be cool to see it all happen, watching the sun go nova in a billion years.....

If we could ever figure out time travel we could open up the Restaurant at the End of the Earth :D

D

dreamlance
Jan 28, 2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
If we could ever figure out time travel we could open up the Restaurant at the End of the Earth :D

And maybe the great prophet Zarquon will actually be on time :p