PDA

View Full Version : ???potential problems with 15" G4 1.67 powerbook???

onthat
Feb 26, 2006, 06:17 PM
I am a student at Louisiana Tech University and am required to buy a macintosh powerbook to run the software that my major requires. Just need to know if the 15" G4 Powerbook that I am looking at getting will have any annoying problems...like display issues. I am thinking about the model that relies on the 1.67 mhz processor, the only number this guy will provide me with is M9969LLA, it is the version with the DL superdrive and the 1440x960 resolution. If I am looking at battery and screen replacement please tell me! It won't come with a warranty and I don't wanna have to pay for the replacements out of my own pocket.

Apparently it also comes with a new version of vram and dual-dvi outputs from a 128mb Radeon video card.

aristobrat
Feb 26, 2006, 06:22 PM
Don't all Apples come with a 1 year warranty that Apple honors no matter where you get the PB from? Since the 1.67 DL 15" PBs with the screens that bother some came out in October, ... there should be plenty of time left on the warranty.

FWIW, I just had my screen replaced in my 1.67 DL 15". I mailed it off Tuesday and got it back Thursday. Screen is perfect.

onthat
Feb 26, 2006, 06:25 PM
would it be a better idea to buy a refurbished one from apple? will all the problems be dealt with prior to my first recieving it? or will I have to go through a lot of crap to get it fixed? the price is the same, one is new on ebay the other is refurb from apple.

thedude110
Feb 26, 2006, 06:28 PM
I am a student at Louisiana Tech University and am required to buy a macintosh powerbook to run the software that my major requires.

Umm ... La. Tech is asking you to make a $1500 purchase based solely on the major you chose? Are you sure you didn't like, misread something?

And can't you just use the Computer Labs? Or a much cheaper (and theft proof) eMac?

onthat
Feb 26, 2006, 06:34 PM
COMPUTER REQUIREMENTS FOR FRESHMAN ART MAJORS
Beginning fall term, 2006, all incoming freshmen art majors will be required to have access to a laptop computer for use in their classes. This computer should have the capability to handle large image files. A suggested hard drive size is a minimum of 80 GB. Memory for the computer should be a minimum of 512 MB. Although the School of Art uses Apple Macintosh computers and we do highly recommend Macintosh PowerBooks, it is not a requirement for the student to have an Apple brand, however, it is a requirement to own the software used by the faculty; the Adobe Creative Suite 2. This software is offered at special student prices and can be found on the web.

For word processing and PowerPoint capabilities it is suggested that the student also purchase the “educational” version of Microsoft Office, which includes Microsoft Word.

I don't want to mess with Macbooks because they aren't integrated with the software that we will be using.

psycho-
Feb 26, 2006, 06:41 PM
Beginning fall term, 2006, all incoming freshmen art majors will be required to have access to a laptop computer for use in their classes. This computer should have the capability to handle large image files. A suggested hard drive size is a minimum of 80 GB. Memory for the computer should be a minimum of 512 MB. Although the School of Art uses Apple Macintosh computers and we do highly recommend Macintosh PowerBooks, it is not a requirement for the student to have an Apple brand, however, it is a requirement to own the software used by the faculty; the Adobe Creative Suite 2. This software is offered at special student prices and can be found on the web.

For word processing and PowerPoint capabilities it is suggested that the student also purchase the “educational” version of Microsoft Office, which includes Microsoft Word.

I don't want to mess with Macbooks because they aren't integrated with the software that we will be using.

You can get a new powerbook on sale @ amazon.com for pretty cheap after rebate now too. That way, you also get the warranty right now. OTherwise, I'd wait for the intel stuff just because in 18 months, old powerpc stuff wil slowly start phasing out.

...and what's the deal with your username?

onthat
Feb 26, 2006, 06:45 PM
it's just a username...so is it better to buy the refurb from apple or the supposedly new pb from ebay? would all the problems be fixed during the refurbishment process or can I expect the same lines on my screen? possibly even a problem with the battery?

aristobrat
Feb 26, 2006, 08:11 PM
I doubt that Apple is going to replace 15" screens unless a customer complains about it. While the screen does bother some, it doesn't bother all.

Either way (if you get it from eBay or Apple directly), Apple should replace the screen if you tell them you're having a problem with it.

If the price is the same, personally I'd buy it from Apple. Like pyscho- said, Amazon usually has great PowerBook deals, so you might check there too.

thedude110
Feb 26, 2006, 08:41 PM
Just checked out your webpage (http://www.art.latech.edu/undergrad_comdes.html) and was blown away that such a major university would turn such a blind eye to equity of access issues. It simply can't be the case that every student entering that department can afford a Powerbook.

If you've got the cash and you want a PB, by all means, go for the refurb. But I would most certainly talk to someone in your department first -- I'm interested that it says "access" to a laptop rather than "own" a laptop. I still can't imagine that any University would assume each of its students is capable of such a purchase -- back when I used to teach at a college, many of my students received money from a special fund just so that they could purchase textbooks.

I wouldn't be surprised if your department has a laptop loan deal with your IT department -- it certainly can't hurt to ask!

FSUSem1noles
Feb 26, 2006, 09:16 PM

They keyword there is, "recommend"... I know when I was in College I couldn't afford a pricey laptop, so I went with a Gateway.. As much as I dislike PC's, you can get a PC laptop meeting those sys. requirements for far less than a Powerbook, saving you a few bucks and still having a laptop for school!

onthat
Feb 27, 2006, 01:16 AM
too late for ebay, I'll try amazon.com... I spoke with Dean Dablow, he says there is an application for a loan to buy this computer, but it's just like a regular student loan...only LaTech gives me the money and not some bank. Actually, I never see the money, only the computer and software...apparently an epson printer also.

Would the 14" iBook G4 be able to handle digital photo editing if the ram was maxed out? Just thought I might as well ask. As long as I can get a decent laptop that is affordable, meets the requirements, and will travel well, I'll be happy. Will the display be up to par for such editing tasks?

MUCKYFINGERS
Feb 27, 2006, 01:35 AM
if you're going to spend any money at all on a laptop, you may as well go for the powerbook instead of a cheap pc laptop.

yoda13
Feb 27, 2006, 01:50 AM
Yeah, more and more schools and especially specialty programs in schools are requiring or strongly suggesting purchasing specific hardware for incoming freshmen. Just another layer in the ever increasing costs of a college education in this country.:rolleyes:

EDIT: the username is interesting, I kind of like it, but I am surprised that the mods are letting you get away with using that name.

MUCKYFINGERS
Feb 27, 2006, 04:14 AM
too late for ebay, I'll try amazon.com... I spoke with Dean Dablow, he says there is an application for a loan to buy this computer, but it's just like a regular student loan...only LaTech gives me the money and not some bank. Actually, I never see the money, only the computer and software...apparently an epson printer also.

Would the 14" iBook G4 be able to handle digital photo editing if the ram was maxed out? Just thought I might as well ask. As long as I can get a decent laptop that is affordable, meets the requirements, and will travel well, I'll be happy. Will the display be up to par for such editing tasks?

i couldnt tell you about the performance re: digital photo editing, but it gets the job done for using photoshop (although it is a bit slow when applying certain effects). also, the resolution on the ibook is lower (1024x768) versus the resolution on the 15" powerbook (1280x1024). for my uses, the photo editing stuff works great on my ibook, but if you are a design major, you might need something more.

aristobrat
Feb 27, 2006, 09:38 AM
the resolution on the ibook is lower (1024x768) versus the resolution on the 15" powerbook (1280x1024).
IIRC, the resolution on the PB he's looking at is 1400x960.

onthat
Feb 27, 2006, 01:55 PM
I'll probably wait until I see if Apple will produce a little brother of the MacBookPro, if the new hardware will accomplish all my needs then I'll go for it.

munkees
Feb 27, 2006, 02:15 PM
I have the prior laptop to the 1.67Ghz 15" I have the 1.5Ghz, the only differences are as follows

1.5Ghz compare to a 1.67Ghz a difference of 167mhz not that much

the 1.67Ghz has a HD monitor it is 1440 x 900 mine has 1280 x 884.

the 512ram in the 1.67 come installed as 1 dimm where the 1.5 comes with 2 256mb ram

the audio has digital optical out on the 1.67 as well as the anolog.

now i purchased my powerbook brand new a week after the 1.67ghz came out, I got mine from good guys it was the demo, it cost me 1499 instead of 2299, I then puchased the 3 year apple care. I never had one problem. I use this computer everyday, and it does tons, more than any windoze could do. My ibook 700 which I had for 3 years, was great, it survived being bonced arround in a tank, it still running fine today.

I upgrade 3 months ago to 1.25 GB ram, so it got a long lease on life. The computer can do 6.6Gflops of operations and photoshop will use the atlivec it to get good performance. my imac dc intel 2.0 ghz, running under rosetta on get 4gflops with both cpus.

If I was ask to get one, I would do this, go down to compusa or goodguys and purchase the demo, and get the 3 years. Applecare is great, first class service. this way you can save money, don't have to rush for the extra ram until latter 512 is useable, but 1 gb is great 2gb is heaven.

good luck, you should see how much apple education discount is, put it against a refubished from apple and see if you get even more knock off. th 17" in the best, the speakers are amazing, but it big and so is the cost

onthat
Feb 27, 2006, 02:28 PM
2299.99 for the 17" with education discount...lame! I want a Powerbook, I want the 17" really but the latest version of the 15" will suffice. Funds are limited, supposedly an apple representative will be at Tech this summer to show off the new product lines. I was told that 2 years ago they did this and people were getting free iPod's, cameras, printers, etc. with the purchase of a severely discounted computer. I kinda hate my school right now, they are known for providing the best technology of any university in Louisiana. The high speed wireless internet is amazing anywhere you go. If you plug in to a hardline, even better (I average a little over 300mb/s). I don't see why they can't provide the damn laptop, or at least rent them out.