PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing iBook G3

applekid
Feb 26, 2006, 09:47 PM
I'm about to acquire my sister's iBook G3 500 MHz for a project I'm doing which requires iWork '05 and Photoshop Elements 2.0. It just might be me, but after using my iMac Core Duo, the iBook appears to be lacking power. It has 384 MB of RAM. I'm wondering what I can/should do to optimize the machine. Here's my list of things I'm thinking about trying:

- Clean Install: The HD is filled with my sister's stuff, so it's given I need to empty it before I do my project. Nearly 9 GB of crap! I figure a more empty HD would be nice. And I'm sure the system is filled with tons of things I don't need.
- Downgrade to Panther: I'm wondering if Tiger's system requirements are accurate and is only being deadweight for the iBook.
- Install a new chip of RAM. I already added an extra 256 to the existing 128. I wouldn't want to buy another chip to replace that.

Any other suggestions?

grapes911
Feb 26, 2006, 09:49 PM
I'd do a clean install of Tiger, but I also would definitely would max out the RAM. Don't underestimate the value of RAM. It will be worth it. Don't expect it to feel like your iMac though.

Eidorian
Feb 26, 2006, 09:49 PM
You should have gone with a 512 MB chip instead of 256. The downgrade will help but the original white iBook wasn't very perky under Panther either. I had at work with 10.3.9 and 384 MB of RAM and it beachballed just running iTunes and Safari.

Shamus
Feb 28, 2006, 06:35 AM
ye i agree with the other posts here....max that RAM. Also...i thought Tiger was supposed to be faster than panther right?

ReanimationLP
Feb 28, 2006, 06:37 AM
Well, a great way to really optimize it if your really good at soldering is to kick it from a 66MHz bus to a 100MHz bus.