PDA

View Full Version : iPod won't Work

ZombieChef
Feb 26, 2006, 09:51 PM
Hey,
My brother is having an issue with his iPod where when he plugs it in, it updates only ~200 out of his ~1400 songs. When it gets to ~200 the iPod freezes, then iTunes freezes, then the computer freezes and he has to restart.

When I plugged my iPod, same model (5G w/ video) it worked fine.

What could be the problem/solution?

amateurmacfreak
Feb 26, 2006, 10:01 PM
Hey,
My brother is having an issue with his iPod where when he plugs it in, it updates only ~200 out of his ~1400 songs. When it gets to ~200 the iPod freezes, then iTunes freezes, then the computer freezes and he has to restart.

When I plugged my iPod, same model (5G w/ video) it worked fine.

What could be the problem/solution?
Make sure he's using USB 2.0. Simple, but my father overlooked that and was using the wrong port on his comp. So, I'd make sure he's using a USM 2.0 port.

2nyRiggz
Feb 26, 2006, 10:02 PM
Try to restore the firmware.

Bless

grapes911
Feb 26, 2006, 10:06 PM
Could that ~200th song be corrupted? Or does it not stop on exactly the same song every time?

mad jew
Feb 26, 2006, 10:07 PM
Is it getting hot? Is it clicking slightly? Try restoring the firmware, as 2nyRiggz said, but it's sounding like a failing hard drive. If you manage to keep it cool, you might be able to get more than 200 songs on. :cool:

Zaque
Feb 26, 2006, 11:13 PM
Ok so this is Zombies Bro, the one with the problem... ok so it's NOT always the same song, but its usually between 125 and 200, it's not getting hot and no weird noises, as far as I remember (don't really want to mess with it more), and I have restored and reset it several times. As for the failing hard drive, what could I do to fix it?

Thanks for the help so far BTW.

edit: I have tried it on USB 2.0 and 1.1 just to be sure.

2nyRiggz
Feb 26, 2006, 11:22 PM
^ go into disk utility and verify. Have you tried erasing all the songs of the ipod then making sure all the songs indeed exsist on your drive? you might need to erase the ipod and restore the firmware again.

Bless

Zaque
Feb 26, 2006, 11:34 PM
^ go into disk utility and verify. Have you tried erasing all the songs of the ipod then making sure all the songs indeed exsist on your drive? you might need to erase the ipod and restore the firmware again.

Bless

I tried to do what you said and I got the message

"Verifying volume “Frank Grabowski III”
Verify volume failed with error Could not unmount disk"

Yeah.... I don't know what that means.... Oh and yes, my iPods name IS Frank Grabowski III.

2nyRiggz
Feb 26, 2006, 11:39 PM
So you have verified, restore to factory setting/restore the firmware and nothing happened? Is your ipod still playing at the moment? try to restore and reset again....if you still have problems then it might need a doctors appointment.

Bless

mad jew
Feb 26, 2006, 11:42 PM
Try it with iTunes closed. :)

Zaque
Feb 26, 2006, 11:43 PM
So you have verified, restore to factory setting/restore the firmware and nothing happened? Is your ipod still playing at the moment? try to restore and reset again....if you still have problems then it might need a doctors appointment.

Bless

This Is starting to get really annoying, because i cant even get to the restore thing on the updator b4 the iPod screws up the rest of the computer. And im assuming by a Doctors Appointmen you mean apple? Because that is retarted... not the idea, but the fact that I might have to, seeing as though I got this iPod about a month ago. Thanks for all the help anyways, and any more sugestions would be greatly appreciated. Frank is sad and so am I.