PDA

View Full Version : iPod finally died

Flyinace2000
Feb 27, 2006, 11:34 AM
My 40gb click wheel B/W finally died today. Everytime i select a song it kicks me back to the main menu. If you listen to the iPod when this happens you hear the hard drive spin up then stop abruptly (thud).

I still have applecare which is good because they will send me a new one. here is my hesitation.

http://willsisti.net/ipod/ipod1.jpg

Here is my plan, buy a busted iPod on ebay, put the "white" front on my bad iPod. Send it in for service. When it comes back i can put my blue cover on. Would that work?

puckhead193
Feb 27, 2006, 11:38 AM
the case on the ipod doesn't just pop out... you need a special tool. Also they might know if it has been tampered with...
if you bought it from colorware, couldn't they replace it?

Flyinace2000
Feb 27, 2006, 11:43 AM
the case on the ipod doesn't just pop out... you need a special tool. Also they might know if it has been tampered with...
if you bought it from colorware, couldn't they replace it?

i used to work at an apple store and i believe i could take it apart without damaging it more.

The ipod itself was from Apple.com and then sent to ColorWarePC.com for painting.

AS-IS ipods go for abour 20-40 bucks on ebay.

Or i could just sell the brand new iPod they send me on ebay and put that towards whatever they announce tomarrow.

Flyinace2000
Feb 27, 2006, 01:27 PM
In other news, its working again....very very wierd.

Flyinace2000
Mar 13, 2006, 07:20 AM
In other news, its working again....very very wierd.

So the hard drive finally died, CLIKC CLICK CLICK. Which worrries me a bit because i tooke really good care of it.

Anyway. i am doing the slef service apple repair and should have a new iPod in the next day or two. I have been reading lots of pages about how to take apart you iPod and am real tempted to use the parts from the one they send me in my blue iPod.

www.fawintosh.com/risorse/en/guides/hw/ipod/g4screen

Anyone ever do this before? I have seen it done by a mac genious when i worked at the Apple Store. I think i can do it without apple knowing and not voiding my warranty.

iGary
Mar 13, 2006, 07:23 AM
LOL

A Lotto ticket, your taxes, Altoids, pistachios a blue iPod....

MBHockey
Mar 13, 2006, 07:44 AM
You may want to try the following.

Open up the iPod (i used a razor blade, carefully) and remove the hard drive. Now, bang the hard drive with your hand, or drop it from about 8-12 inches onto a hard surface.

My friends iPod (4G, 20GB) was doing the same thing you describe. I researched it a little and found out that this could simply be the result of the head stuck over the platter and not being able to move to its starting position. Dropping and banging it was said to have fixed about 20 people's "broken" iPod hard disk, so i gave it a shot, since he was convinced it was dead anyway.

I did that and it's been fine to this day. I fixed it about 4 months ago.

It's worth a shot!

applemacdude
Mar 13, 2006, 08:31 AM
it is better if you use a guitar pick to open it up and it doesnt scratch it as much as anyhing else would

Flyinace2000
Mar 13, 2006, 11:20 AM
it is better if you use a guitar pick to open it up and it doesnt scratch it as much as anyhing else would

Since i am using a part from AppleCare service I have to make both look like they have NEVER been open so i do not void the warranties and get a nice fat bill from Apple. My friend is gonna lend me a guitar pick.

Flyinace2000
Mar 13, 2006, 02:05 PM
i think my iPod has a some wierd ESP about when its about to be fixed, because it just turned on and started working fine. SO WIERD. i don't trust it though.

BTW
i have gotten 2 guitar picks, but how do i seperate the sides?