PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Music on External Hard Drive

mcmike100
Feb 27, 2006, 11:42 AM
I have all my music on my external hard drive and have my iTunes Music Folder Location set to the folder on the external. The problem is that I'm using a Powerbook so I have to disconnect my external drive often when I'm taking the computer with me.

If by accident I try to play a track in iTunes while the drive is unplugged, then it resets the music folder location to the default on the computer. Every time, I have to change it back to the external then it takes a few seconds to go through the whole library again.

Is there some script or something I can use to either force it to keep the external as the folder location no matter what, or to easily click to change it without having to go into advanced preferences everytime?

Thanks!

Gee
Feb 27, 2006, 01:23 PM
You could try leaving the itunes folder where it should be on your HD, but with no tracks in, unchecking 'copy music to itunes folder when importing' or whatever it says in prefs, and then 'adding to library' your collection on your HD.

I have my music split across the HD and an external drive like this, and when I'm connected to the external drive, the tracks on the drive play, and when I'm not they get skipped.

mcmike100
Feb 27, 2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks, the tracks do indeed still play when the music folder is wrong. The only problem is deleting tracks. When I command-delete a song, if the folder is correctly set then it will ask if I'd like to move it to trash (which I want). If the folder is incorrect, it will remove the song from the library but won't delete it.

Gee
Feb 27, 2006, 03:05 PM
That I can't help you with. I don't tend to delete a lot of mine.

frankblundt
Feb 27, 2006, 03:50 PM
i don't think there's any way round it. iTunes is much more functional if the music is actually in the library specified.

I think you're just going to have to be more careful...:p

and you can just cancel the Library updating process