Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaizer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Malaysia
Hi guys! just stumbled upon this site. I'm a would be switcher and needs to find out a few things before I take the plunge.

Hope y'all can help me here.

My quesions are:

1. Can I do PALM programming on a Mac?

2. Can I use most of the PALM apps (with conduits) on a Mac (like in PC)?

3. I plan to learn PHP/ASP/Cold Fusion. Is it possible to do these programmings on a Mac? I've been told that I can do the actual programming on a Mac, but when I wanna trial run those programs, I need to installed in in a PC? Any web developer here that can shed me the light?

4. Would an G3 700Mhz iBook (at least 256Mb RAM) be powerful enough if I plan to do Photoshop/Macromedia and some internet stuffs?

5. They say that I'm gonna missout a lotta things (programs) if I switch over completely. Is it true? As the iBook is my PC desktop replacement.

6. I heard from a Mac sales person that If I installed a non Apple specific RAM into the iBook, it will burn down the harddisk, how true is that? Frankly, there's quite a large difference in price. Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance, fellow Mac users out there!

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Re: Would be Switcher Enquiries

Originally posted by kaizer
My quesions are:

3. I plan to learn PHP/ASP/Cold Fusion. Is it possible to do these programmings on a Mac? I've been told that I can do the actual programming on a Mac, but when I wanna trial run those programs, I need to installed in in a PC? Any web developer here that can shed me the light?

4. Would an G3 700Mhz iBook (at least 256Mb RAM) be powerful enough if I plan to do Photoshop/Macromedia and some internet stuffs?

5. They say that I'm gonna missout a lotta things (programs) if I switch over completely. Is it true? As the iBook is my PC desktop replacement.

6. I heard from a Mac sales person that If I installed a non Apple specific RAM into the iBook, it will burn down the harddisk, how true is that? Frankly, there's quite a large difference in price. Any ideas?

1: dunno
2: dunno (dont own a palm)
3: dunno (only web develop @ school (win2k)
4: maybe. depends on version. go to a 12"pbook if possible
5: who syas so? sure no ms access. and you have to *gasp* :eek: pay for programs but if you go to versiontracker.com you should be abot ot find what you want.
6: that guy needs to go to computer school. he just wants to get a kickback from selling apple RAM. just mack sure it matches the specs in the manual (ask here if your unsure)

good luck.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Re: Would be Switcher Enquiries

Originally posted by kaizer
Hi guys! just stumbled upon this site. I'm a would be switcher and needs to find out a few things before I take the plunge.

Hope y'all can help me here.

My quesions are:

Thanks in Advance, fellow Mac users out there!

1. Not sure. Probably not, but you might be able to. The only Palm environment I've ever seen was a gcc cross compiler with headers on Windows. This could easily be made to work on OSX, so it might be possible.

2. Again not sure. You can get Palm Desktop for OSX?

3. Yes - just released. Check the web (see http://www.macdevcenter.com).

4. More RAM. I have an 800 iBook with 640Mb. It is enough, but even then I sometimes cause stuff to page out to swap!

5. Depends what you want to do. It sure as hell is not going to play the latest and greatest games/ run kazza...

6. Pure and utter rubbish. Don't even buy a Mac from these people. You might be wise to report this guy to his supervisor (if that's exactly what he said). Check out http://www.crucial.com for RAM that is guaranteed to work with an iBook.

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2002
Yes you can sync with the mac using your palm or also isync (i.e. ical and address book) which are already pre-installed on a mac. One main downfall is that there is no Avantgo for the OSX yet so fingers crossed :)

ooartist

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2002
Spring Hill, TN
PALM

1.Yes. Checkout PALM's developer website.

2. Mostly.

3. Yes. You may need Virtual PC.

4. No. Go up one level to the 800mhz and add
more RAM.

5. Not. I switch a year ago and never had a problem.

6. That sales guys is stupid. I bought my Mac and replaced all of it's RAM with new Crucial RAM.

Like I said I switched and I love it. Oh, I am
a Software Engineer and still program with all
my favorite langs.

ooartist

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.