PDA

View Full Version : Scanner Recommendations for Graphics

noelmac75
Jan 24, 2003, 06:47 AM
Can anyone recommend a good scanner for Graphics and DTP, around the 350-450 price range.

Thanks

Noel

DavidFDM
Jan 24, 2003, 07:29 AM
Dear Noel,

I haven't looked at specific brands for some time but I would keep in mind these considerations:

1. Density rating (also known as D-max). This is the key value used to compare scanners. Resolution generally doesn't matter. All scanners are capable of very high-resolution scans but in the end 90% of the continuous tone images will be around 350-400 ppi at 100%. This will let you output to 175-200 lpi. Anything beyond this is really a waste. However, the high D-max, the more depth the photos will have. Dark areas won't go directly to rich black blobs. You will get better color fidelity.

2. Connector. Avoid USB. It is too slow a bus to transfer high-res photos. Get either FireWire or SCSI.

3. Transparency unit. Some scanners feature an add-on to scan chromes. I have this and it has proven to be invaluable with my Linotype-Hell Saphir. It does an amazing job with 2.25 format and up. I bought a Nikon Coolscan III for 35mm.

4. Software. All this really doesn't matter if you can't get the image into your computer. OS X compatibility is important. I have been using VueScan to drive both scanners and have been reasonably happy with the results. I really need to spend some time and money on calibration across my devices.

Those are my thoughts. Best of luck,

David

yamadataro
Jan 24, 2003, 08:04 AM
I use Epson's Perfection 2450 for all of my graphics projects. It's a new product released in the end of last year.

It's 2400 x 4800 dpi / 48 bit / USB&FireWire /transparency unit (up to 4x5). The case design is nice too.

For OS X, they have a TWAIN interface only for Photoshop. For 9, they have a good driver.

Since there's no Agfa scanners, Epson 2450 is the only reasonable professional choice for me in the under-$500 range.

noelmac75
Jan 24, 2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by DavidFDM
Dear Noel,

I haven't looked at specific brands for some time but I would keep in mind these considerations:

1. Density rating (also known as D-max). This is the key value used to compare scanners. Resolution generally doesn't matter. All scanners are capable of very high-resolution scans but in the end 90% of the continuous tone images will be around 350-400 ppi at 100%. This will let you output to 175-200 lpi. Anything beyond this is really a waste. However, the high D-max, the more depth the photos will have. Dark areas won't go directly to rich black blobs. You will get better color fidelity.

2. Connector. Avoid USB. It is too slow a bus to transfer high-res photos. Get either FireWire or SCSI.

3. Transparency unit. Some scanners feature an add-on to scan chromes. I have this and it has proven to be invaluable with my Linotype-Hell Saphir. It does an amazing job with 2.25 format and up. I bought a Nikon Coolscan III
for 35mm.

4. Software. All this really doesn't matter if you can't get the image into your computer. OS X compatibility is important. I have been using VueScan to drive both scanners and have been reasonably happy with the results. I really need to spend some time and money on calibration across my devices.

Those are my thoughts. Best of luck,

David

Thanks for getting back to me.

I didnt know this about the density range actually, I have seen some scanners with the same resolution and different price and wondered what i was paying the extra money for, well now i know, so would density be more important than resolution? At the minute I'am using a epson GT5500 and I'am doing magazines and a lot of DTP, when i look at the images when there printed they look very bland, not very sharp or colourful, even though iam scanning them in at 300dpi. I dont know if i'll need the transparancy adapter, as i get a lot of my images given to me printed. But it might come in handy.
What is the best way to calibrate my monitor, i want my images that look good on screen to come out the same when there printed.

Thanks

Noel

noelmac75
Jan 24, 2003, 08:16 AM
What is the Powerlook 1120 like?

Its 42bit colour, 3.7D max
1200 x 2400 dpi
Firewire

Costs 679 exc vat

aussiesteve
Jan 24, 2003, 10:18 AM
Use photoshop to adjust your settings in the levels and curves dialogue boxes. Also i have found Microtek to be very good.