PDA

View Full Version : Setting up network > Powermac / Powerbook

MIDI_EVIL
Feb 28, 2006, 05:04 AM
Hi guys,

I'm about to purchase a PowerMac G4 Dual, and i already have a Powerbook G4 1.67.

I wanted to use the PowerMac as a server, is it simply a case of hooking up an ethernet cable between the two?

Is there anything else i have to do/consider?

Thanks guys, i value your opinions.

Rich.

iMeowbot
Feb 28, 2006, 05:16 AM
I wanted to use the PowerMac as a server, is it simply a case of hooking up an ethernet cable between the two?
Sure, if all you want to do is connect the two machines, a plain old Ethernet cable will do it.

If you have any sort of broadband arrangement that uses Ethernet, it will get slightly more involved (but not by too much). If you do have that, how is everything plugged in now?

(Note: Some computers need a special crossover cable for the connection to work, but because your PowerBook G4 can automatically do the flipping, you don't need to worry about that.)

MIDI_EVIL
Feb 28, 2006, 05:54 AM
So, hook them up via ethernet, and i can access my PowerMac HD's from the Powerbook?

I can play iTunes from the PowerMac? Access files and open them on the Powerbook? etc?

Thanks for your response, although i didn't quite understand your question about broadband?

At the minute, i have a belkin wireless router and this is how it goes

Ntl broadband > Router > Ethernet to iMac G3 > Wireless to PowerBook

I don't plan on using internet on the PowerMac, but i have enough ethernet ports on the router to accomodate.

Sorry if this has gone off in a tangent.

Much appreciated,
Rich.

iMeowbot
Feb 28, 2006, 06:03 AM
Okay, if it's a typical router, then your two Macs should be able to see each other just fine. Yes, iTunes and file and print sharing should work without problems.

The Ethernet ports on "your" side of the router, if typical, will act like a switch. That is, they will be part of the same local network without any special action on your part.

You will only need to enable file and print sharing on the Power Mac from the system preferences to make it all work (and share some playlists from your copy of iTunes on that machine, if you also run that).

The only complication would be if you decide to enable the firewall on either Mac. In that case, you also need to make sure to open up the ports that allow those services to pass through.

MIDI_EVIL
Feb 28, 2006, 06:12 AM
Ahh i see, so you're saying i can hook up the PowerMac to one of the free ethernet ports on the router, and through my PowerBook using wireless, i can search the PowerMac and iMac?

To simplify things, wouldn't it be easier/more efficient to go

PowerBook > PowerMac via Ethernet?

Rich.

iMeowbot
Feb 28, 2006, 06:31 AM
Ahh i see, so you're saying i can hook up the PowerMac to one of the free ethernet ports on the router, and through my PowerBook using wireless, i can search the PowerMac and iMac?
Yes, if you have the port available, that would be the easiest way to go.
To simplify things, wouldn't it be easier/more efficient to go PowerBook > PowerMac via Ethernet?
It may be so, if you aren't otherwise using the PowerBook's Ethernet port and you don't have any other machines that might want to see the Power Mac.

You will need the same cable for either arrangement, so why not try out both possibilities and see what you prefer?

MIDI_EVIL
Feb 28, 2006, 06:37 AM
Thanks you have answered everything, really appreciated.

That's what a love about this forum.

Cheers,

Rich.

MIDI_EVIL
Feb 28, 2006, 08:00 AM
Hello,

I went home to check out the network.

PowerBook on, iMac G3 on.

I opened Macintosh HD, and on the left in finder above the HD icon, there was an icon for Network.

After clicking, it opened up to an icon named Servers.
After clicking Servers it opened up to an icon of a Harddrive with my username for the PowerBook.

It seems i can't search my iMac G3, which means i won't be able to search the PowerMac G4...?

Am i missing something ?

Thanks for any replies,
Rich.