PDA

View Full Version : ibook

wojofm1
Feb 28, 2006, 02:10 PM
i'm thinking about buying an ibook, but i am not sure if i should incase they make an intel 1. should i wait or are they not going to change it for a while?

sw1tcher
Feb 28, 2006, 02:22 PM
As others will surely say, if you need one now buy it. If not, wait.

Intel iBooks will probably be out in mid-March/early April since the Core solo chips are already available.

ibidiem
Feb 28, 2006, 02:22 PM
i'm thinking about buying an ibook, but i am not sure if i should incase they make an intel 1. should i wait or are they not going to change it for a while?

What are you expecting to do with this?

Keep in mind that the programs that you'll be running might take some time to come out native for the intel chip.

As it stands, now, if you *need* a computer a powerpc iBook will do you very well for pretty much anything you need to do, aside excessively heavy audio editing or anything more than moderate video editing.

On the other hand, if you can wait (and probably not all that long) they might come out with a stellar upgrade.

Matt Phoenix
Feb 28, 2006, 02:36 PM
I was fully aware that the new iBooks will most likely come out within a couple months. Also, I did not necessarily need one at the moment. However, I bought a 14 inch one last week and love it. It's very fast. Any computer you buy will be obsolete a year later. But you don't need the absolute newest technology to enjoy a product. By the way, I believe today is the last day Amazon is offering a $125 rebate on their iBooks.

williamw
Feb 28, 2006, 06:14 PM
i would just stick with what you have now

in2themystik2
Feb 28, 2006, 10:07 PM
I decided to get an iBook in december, after much deliberation. I don't upgrade programs often, and I only have it for basic use and school/grad school and such. I figure that I haven't updated my desktop in four years. So I will probably be able to successfully use my ibook for a few years. So far I love it, and I love Mac OS X. I have gotten more used to it than my PC now! It depends on your needs, but I have had a good experience so far with mine!

BlueT
Feb 28, 2006, 11:20 PM
Logic dictates that the new Intel iBooks won't be released until the full MacBook Pro line has transitioned to Intel. There's no way Apple would sell a Core Solo iBook alongside a 12 inch or 17 inch Powerbook G4. It would cause Powerbook sales to plummet (now and in the future). I've heard that there are screen issues with the 17 inch MacBook Pro, which has delayed production. I've also heard that it should be resolved by June. I'm not sure if the MacBook Pro will enjoy a new form factor, but you can bet that Apple will delay iBooks until at least June.

Some are probably wondering...well, if Apple cares so much about their Power line, why haven't they released new PowerMacs and instead released iMacs and Mac Minis? Good question. Because the Core Duo is still no competition to a dual 2.5 G5 or Quad G5. OTOH, even a Core Solo is still competition (if not completely better) than the G4.

excalibur313
Feb 28, 2006, 11:29 PM
I was fully aware that the new iBooks will most likely come out within a couple months. Also, I did not necessarily need one at the moment. However, I bought a 14 inch one last week and love it. It's very fast. Any computer you buy will be obsolete a year later. But you don't need the absolute newest technology to enjoy a product. By the way, I believe today is the last day Amazon is offering a $125 rebate on their iBooks.

You obviously haven't owned a mac long. ;) I have a powerbook that is 3 years old and it wasn't much worse than the latest 15" powerbooks. In selling it I only lost $400 from what a new powerbook would be.

myshoeshurt
Mar 1, 2006, 12:05 AM
I decided to get an iBook in december, after much deliberation. I don't upgrade programs often, and I only have it for basic use and school/grad school and such. I figure that I haven't updated my desktop in four years. So I will probably be able to successfully use my ibook for a few years. So far I love it, and I love Mac OS X. I have gotten more used to it than my PC now! It depends on your needs, but I have had a good experience so far with mine!
Same way! I bought my iBook about 3 weeks ago after some heavy thinking (whether or not to wait for the Intel books). I realized I don't need any more power than the 14" G4 offers (especially once I max out the RAM :)), and seeing as it's the final revision, it will be extremely reliable. Plus, I had already fallen in love with the design of the G4, so I went ahead and got it. Not disappointed in the least bit! I too have fallen for Mac OS X, and haven't touched my (pretty high-end) PC since I opened my iBook. I'm truly switching... in every sense of the word!

findpankaj
Mar 1, 2006, 01:23 PM
I posted it somewhere else also. This is all for all those who are associated with an iBook or going to buy one soon. Yes, iBooks are NOT compatible with Cinema Displays because it sends out Analog Signals as opposed to Digital signal from every other mac.

I don't know what other such differences exist. I was told that iBook is a consumer Laptop. I don't know what that means but certainly it is way costlier than "Compatible $500" Mac Mini.

mrweirdo
Mar 1, 2006, 01:40 PM
I posted it somewhere else also. This is all for all those who are associated with an iBook or going to buy one soon. Yes, iBooks are NOT compatible with Cinema Displays because it sends out Analog Signals as opposed to Digital signal from every other mac.

I don't know what other such differences exist. I was told that iBook is a consumer Laptop. I don't know what that means but certainly it is way costlier than "Compatible $500" Mac Mini.

No audio in as well
and it does support screen spaning unless you aply the hack

QCassidy352
Mar 1, 2006, 01:52 PM
I really hope apple adds DVI to the intel ibooks. That would make me upgrade. Otherwise, no.

brikeh
Mar 1, 2006, 02:08 PM
I just ordered a pb, I couldnt resist with the edu discount, Ill be doing some light photo work in cs other than that, iLife and web-browsing, a bit of music. I feel a bit iffy about it but I think the pb will be good for me. :rolleyes: :D

Synapple
Mar 1, 2006, 02:15 PM
Go for it!

I too was fully aware of upcoming Intel revisions of the iBook line (which, BTW, we have been talking about for a couple of months now and have to see yet) but decided to buy a 12" iBook last week.
It's awesome... basically my Mini to go... with a slightly better video card!

I love it. And, really, I love the price I got it for. Just froogle around and you can find awesome deals.
Resellers are having great deals, too.

:)

brikeh
Mar 1, 2006, 02:22 PM
Go for it!

I too was fully aware of upcoming Intel revisions of the iBook line (which, BTW, we have been talking about for a couple of months now and have to see yet) but decided to buy a 12" iBook last week.
It's awesome... basically my Mini to go... with a slightly better video card!

I love it. And, really, I love the price I got it for. Just froogle around and you can find awesome deals.

Yeah, and it ships tomorrow! ;P

Synapple
Mar 1, 2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah, and it ships tomorrow! ;P

Precisely.

:D

Synapple
Mar 1, 2006, 02:49 PM
Also, and not to whine, may I add that if the intel iBook sports a core solo with shared VRam like the low end mini, I'll be pretty damn happy I bought the last PPC rev? :p :cool:

Scarlet Fever
Mar 1, 2006, 03:07 PM
i've already posted a thread similar... no, exactly like this one... but not to worry...

My folks are going to buy me an iBook/MacBook and im waiting for the new ones. If they have shared VRAM like the new Minis im goin to convince them to salary sacrifice me a MacBook Pro :D

findpankaj
Mar 1, 2006, 03:07 PM

Can you be more clear which deals you are talking about here?..pls.

Synapple
Mar 1, 2006, 03:19 PM
Can you be more clear which deals you are talking about here?..pls.

There's currently a last rev 12" iBook on the refurb Apple store for $ 799 and I recall Amazon having a good deal on iBooks until a week ago. There are a couple of threads on this in the forum.

Personally, I bought mine from a local reseller. I got a stock 12" for 799 (which is great, considering it currently goes for 1049 on the Apple store. True, in order to get the deal, I had to buy 512 giga of ram and a printer there, but it was worth it as I surely needed both! :D