PDA

View Full Version : So who ordered the iPod leather case from Apple...LOL!!!

nylon
Feb 28, 2006, 03:41 PM
Sorry I coudn't help myself!!!!!

clayj
Feb 28, 2006, 03:42 PM
You mean you ordered one?

Glenn Wolsey
Feb 28, 2006, 03:45 PM
I didn't order it but my review copy should be in the mail this week.

Damien
Feb 28, 2006, 03:58 PM
Tell me whats it like!! I wanty one :(

SpaceMagic
Feb 28, 2006, 04:34 PM
kappoor! good one!

I know, when i read $99 for a case! I laughed out loud too..

jsw
Feb 28, 2006, 04:36 PM
Gee, if only I had a 5G iPod, I'd certainly have ordered a $100 case that didn't let me control the iPod while it was in it.

Makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

What was Steve smoking? Can I have some, please?

CompUser
Feb 28, 2006, 04:46 PM
My mom has a case for her iPod from Coach (pretty expensive designer store, make leather goods, purses, etc). Her's was $80 I think.

$99 for a Apple Leather case- hah! who seriously is going to buy that.

haiggy
Feb 28, 2006, 05:04 PM
Yeah, no kidding. I read that and was like "Wow, such a bad day for Apple.... full of disappointments" $99... can't get over that. RIP OFF

achie25
Feb 28, 2006, 05:14 PM
I could think of a lot of better things to spen $99 on.

weg
Feb 28, 2006, 05:34 PM
I could think of a lot of better things to spen $99 on.

Yeah, like .Mac *rotfl*

Vanilla
Feb 28, 2006, 06:56 PM
Does anyone know if it has a belt clip on the back?
Vanilla

2nyRiggz
Feb 28, 2006, 08:23 PM
Yea i ordered one......then i went and bought that condo on the lower eastside of Manhattan....heck i even got myself a Dell.

Bless

supergod
Feb 28, 2006, 09:32 PM
That little case is going to make for so many jokes over the next months. Every time apple announces one of their super secret events, instead of rumours of touch screen iPods, maybe we'll have rumours of $700 powerbook bag. The idea of Apple selling leather is really awful to be honest: they are a computer company! Leather!

At least it wasn't a pink fur case. yet.

yg17
Feb 28, 2006, 09:58 PM
Spy pics will be interesting from now on...."A picture of a laptop bag with Chinese writing on it taken in an elevator, it must be real!"

Oblivious
Feb 28, 2006, 09:58 PM
And what an ingenious ribbon!;) :p

Bubbasteve
Feb 28, 2006, 10:07 PM
I just ordered mine up.... sadly it ships in 3-4 weeks :( I'll post pics when I get it

Studawg7
Feb 28, 2006, 10:09 PM
My mom has a case for her iPod from Coach (pretty expensive designer store, make leather goods, purses, etc). Her's was $80 I think.

$99 for a Apple Leather case- hah! who seriously is going to buy that.

coach really is a better option if you want a fine leather good... way more props then apple leather. plus you get to control your ipod!!

coach leather ipod cases (http://www.coach.com/aspx/search.aspx?query=ipod&index=1&x=0&y=0)

yg17
Feb 28, 2006, 10:23 PM
I just ordered mine up.... sadly it ships in 3-4 weeks :( I'll post pics when I get it

Look on the bright side...you have 3-4 weeks to realize you overpaid by about 50 bucks and cancel the order :p

mkrishnan
Feb 28, 2006, 10:24 PM
The Kate Spade ones seem nice too. :)

badmofo9000
Feb 28, 2006, 10:26 PM
What were they thinking. $100 for a leather case. This thing better do flips and play fetch for $100. What did this thing cost, like $5 to make. Give me a break apple.

musiclover137
Mar 1, 2006, 12:30 AM
The idea of Apple selling leather is really awful to be honest: they are a computer company! Leather!

Yeah, what happened to Apple being green friendly?

Also, in defense of the form factor; the case I got with my 3G iPod was similar to these leather, except nylon and free with purchase. But anyway, I like being able to just pull out the iPod while keeping the case clipped in my pocket. It's not a bad system. Just not for $100

wwooden
Mar 1, 2006, 12:33 AM
I like how Steve said during the presentation " We wanted to wait on this to make sure it was right", yeah, because what they made is really ground-breaking. I don't know anyone else who could think of a leather sleeve with a snap on the top. I think this is a particle joke by Apple, see if anyone would actually buy a $100 case.

Bubbasteve
Mar 1, 2006, 12:55 AM
Look on the bright side...you have 3-4 weeks to realize you overpaid by about 50 bucks and cancel the order :p

I was definitely kidding

DCapple
Mar 1, 2006, 01:01 AM
i saw the leather case its so simple to cost 100$!!!

asxtb
Mar 1, 2006, 01:53 AM
Ships in 3-4 weeks... 4 weeks is the Tuesday before April Fools Day. Steve will make a keynote saying April Fools to all the people that bought one for $100 then drop them to $50.

Coca-Cola
Mar 1, 2006, 01:58 AM
My friend purchased an italian leather purse. At first I was like, "yeah whatever, you have been had." Now after a year of abuse, I am like, "Damn, that was worth the money, can I get one." I am impressed by Italian leather. I am sure the leather iPod cases will be well worth it. It is like a holster for your gun. No one ever complains about not being able to use their gun while in the holster. Crazy. "I can't reload the revolver while it's in a case, what a rip-off."

tenneriffe
Mar 1, 2006, 03:08 AM
You think $99 is bad?

Try $149 for the iPod case from the AUSTRALIAN Apple store...

Oh, and Motorola cases are just as good quality with a flap and magnet system, and they throw those in with their phones for free. You know I think Apple have been running close to the bone by way of cost over the past few years to gain more market share, now they are just playing catch up but its turning out to be stupidity or greed.

How peeved would you have been if you were one of those reporters invited to this "event" to release a case?

Respect.

iMeowbot
Mar 1, 2006, 03:58 AM
Wacky conspiracy theory of the day: the case is a spite move from Apple :) There was a trademark huff between Apple and Guangdong Apples Industrial Co Ltd. The latter is a manufacturer of leather bags, shoes etc., who tried to prevent Apple from using their logo on clothing items in China because it was too much like their own.
http://tdcenterprise.com/hkei/companyLogo/687727-logo.jpg

Returning the favor, when Guangdong Apples tried to get their logo registered in the US, Apple opposed it and won.

Some more background (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-03/10/content_313437.htm) on the dispute.

A leather iPod case with the Apple logo is a nice way to say "See? We make leather stuff too!" if the Guangdong lawyers make another attempt. Apple may not care if they sell very many of these :D

D0ct0rteeth
Mar 1, 2006, 09:02 AM
Heres an image of the new case

http://images.apple.com/r/store/leathercase/gallery/images/1b.jpg

virus1
Mar 1, 2006, 09:13 AM
My friend purchased an italian leather purse. At first I was like, "yeah whatever, you have been had." Now after a year of abuse, I am like, "Damn, that was worth the money, can I get one." I am impressed by Italian leather. I am sure the leather iPod cases will be well worth it. It is like a holster for your gun. No one ever complains about not being able to use their gun while in the holster. Crazy. "I can't reload the revolver while it's in a case, what a rip-off."
you make no sense. gun holsters are meant to hold your gun. ipod cases are supposed to protect them. different stuff.

virus1
Mar 1, 2006, 09:14 AM
Ships in 3-4 weeks... 4 weeks is the Tuesday before April Fools Day. Steve will make a keynote saying April Fools to all the people that bought one for $100 then drop them to $50.
hmm.. you may actually be on to something...

zap2
Mar 1, 2006, 09:18 AM
i keep my Apple Socks!!

Now if it was 99 for 6 like my Apple Socks*execpt it was 30 for 6* i would buy them.... i think...maybe.....no, there crap

Play Ultimate
Mar 1, 2006, 10:02 AM
Perhaps these are actually for an iPod Video, with touchscreen, to be announced at a later date.

IanC
Mar 1, 2006, 10:05 AM
Bunch of Grumpy guts - if i had a new iPod id have ordered one of these already.

godbout
Mar 1, 2006, 10:22 AM
I am just waiting for the new ivory MBP replacement keyboards... Also, I heard that the new MB's are going to have turtle shell enclosures... nobody does it better than mother nature...

On a serious note... $99?

Damien
Mar 1, 2006, 10:47 AM
Bunch of Grumpy guts - if i had a new iPod id have ordered one of these already.

Tell it like it is Ian! :D

sunfast
Mar 1, 2006, 10:47 AM
Haven't stopped laughing since I heard about them. Can hardly believe they're for real!

thejadedmonkey
Mar 1, 2006, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about getting one for my nano, but then I realized that I could make myself a case out of duct tape for 1/100th of the price.

Damien
Mar 1, 2006, 11:02 AM
The leather used in these a very expensive. This is no different to people buying expensive wallets. They are meant to last a while and protect the contents quite well.

Its Apple. They are not going to make a cheap, tacky case. They make quality at a high price. You use a mac, you should already know about that.

Apple = Expensive!!? Well, I never :D

JDOG_
Mar 1, 2006, 11:20 AM
This whole case thing is just part of Apple's disappearing included accessories market.

Remember when the iPod used to come with a Dock, AC Adapter, Remote & Case?

The accessories just kept disappearing... now you just get your trusty USB cable :/

Diatribe
Mar 1, 2006, 11:35 AM
This whole case thing is just part of Apple's disappearing included accessories market.

Remember when the iPod used to come with a Dock, AC Adapter, Remote & Case?

The accessories just kept disappearing... now you just get your trusty USB cable :/

That IS kinda sad. :(

nylon
Mar 1, 2006, 11:54 AM
That's what happens when you have a killer product and 80% of the market. There is no need to add value with included accessories. You can create additional revenue streams with the previously included accessories.

P.S. Where did the Ban Hamster go!! Maybe he went to read the 1st Ammendment.

Diatribe
Mar 1, 2006, 12:14 PM
The case DOES look good though, I have to admit that. But come on more than $50? :rolleyes:

Damien
Mar 1, 2006, 12:25 PM
The case DOES look good though, I have to admit that. But come on more than $50? :rolleyes:

Its a quality case that will protect your ipod and last a long time. Its is very much a high end case for people with money to burn or who really REALLY love their ipod.

I think $70 would be about right

Diatribe
Mar 1, 2006, 12:31 PM
Its a quality case that will protect your ipod and last a long time. Its is very much a high end case for people with money to burn or who really REALLY love their ipod.

I think $70 would be about right

Yeah at the most. Still $30 overpriced. I'd buy one for 50 and I don't care about not being able to use it while in the case. But $100 is crazy.

calculus
Mar 1, 2006, 12:52 PM
Looks good to me. It sort of reminds me of the case that came with my 3G. I prefer a case that protects my iPod but makes me take it out to do stuff - that way I actually get to see the thing sometimes!

ravenvii
Mar 1, 2006, 01:56 PM
Hey, looking at the picture of the leather sleeves it actually looks pretty nice.

I concur that $99 is a tad overpriced.

Damien
Mar 1, 2006, 02:19 PM
Looks good to me. It sort of reminds me of the case that came with my 3G. I prefer a case that protects my iPod but makes me take it out to do stuff - that way I actually get to see the thing sometimes!

I dislikes skings as it takes the 'feel' of the nice ipod away and makes it horribly big.

This is nice but ipod socks are just as good and cost 1/3rd of the price. On the other hand. This is leather. I will see what it feels like in store some time.

nylon
Mar 1, 2006, 02:48 PM
Knowing Apple's attention to detail, there is no doubt that this will be a quality case. However, to charge $99 for a case that does not even allow access to the functions of the iPod is ridiculous.

Coca-Cola
Mar 1, 2006, 05:15 PM
I repeat. They are made from Italian leather. These are very well made. If you haven't seen and used Italian leather, then, I can understand the complaint about pricing. Finally, these are superfine and worth $99.

nylon
Mar 1, 2006, 07:11 PM
I'm sorry but that's no excuse. Italian leather does not justify that kind of a premium. Look at Vaja cases. They are made from top notch Argentinian leather and provide much more access to the functions of the iPod. Even they are pricey but at least they made an effort. Apple is just leveraging its brand here to charge a premium for a product that does not justify the price even if it is of high quality. They could have done better and people would have spent the $99.

Halsey12
Mar 1, 2006, 07:31 PM
I repeat. They are made from Italian leather. These are very well made. If you haven't seen and used Italian leather, then, I can understand the complaint about pricing. Finally, these are superfine and worth $99.

Those Italians sure know how to bake the animal skin so superfine. A hundred dollar slab of cooked dead skin in my hand makes me feel supa seksi.

2nyRiggz
Mar 1, 2006, 08:21 PM

I don't give a damn if it was made out of Italian Horses arse(and i'm Italian) i aint paying $100 for something that would be in my bag or not showing on my belt.....it could of been made from the queens beard i wouldn't buy.

Bless

plinkoman
Mar 1, 2006, 08:44 PM
if you want to pay $100 for a leather iPod case, go here: http://www.vajacases.com/

those are actually worth $100, being hand made of really high quality leather, and oh yea, there are actually a few different options to choose from instead of a plain black case that you have to take the iPod out of to use.

lord patton
Mar 1, 2006, 11:13 PM
Good for Apple.

I'd never pay $100 for a case, and would probably never buy a case that didn't have access to the controls.

But some percentage of iPod owners will, and even if that's a small percentage, Apple's gonna make a lot of money on what must surely be a high margin product.

Hell, they created this huge market, now they get to milk it (same story for the hi-fi). They built all these retail stores, now they can display their accessories in front of the third party offerings.

As long as a) you want Apple to succeed and b) you're not dumb enough to buy it*, this is good news.

*Well, if you have the money to burn, I guess it's not dumb.

Coca-Cola
Mar 1, 2006, 11:58 PM
I'm sorry but that's no excuse. Italian leather does not justify that kind of a premium. Look at Vaja cases. They are made from top notch Argentinian leather and provide much more access to the functions of the iPod. Even they are pricey but at least they made an effort. Apple is just leveraging its brand here to charge a premium for a mediocre product at best. They could have done better and people would have spent the $99.

Once again, I repeat...If you haven't had an experience with genuine Italian leather goods, then you don't know what you are talking about. My friend went to Florence and purchased several leather goods. At first, I ignorantly thought that it would be like any ordinary leather good. I didn't buy into the hype. However, after the passage of time... Those leather goods still look good and will remain looking good for years to come. Italian leather is good stuff. You may think you have a nice handbag or jacket you purchased at an american store, but it is nothing compared to Italian leather. The price is justified.

chaosbunny
Mar 2, 2006, 04:35 AM
Wow! Yeah! I've waited for this! So beautiful! I'll order immediately! But as it is expensive I do not want anything to happen to it. Anybody knows a good beautiful case to protect my beautiful case that protects my beautiful iPod?:rolleyes:

Sam0r
Mar 2, 2006, 10:02 AM
Is Jobs on crack?

I made a case for my iPod that looks exactly the same as this out of the leather case I bought for my (now sold) Nintendo DS. Although I did have to make some adjustments using some scissors and some thread, but it does the exact same job as these new sleeves.

Come on Apple, don't be stupid.

nylon
Mar 2, 2006, 01:43 PM
Once again, I repeat...If you haven't had an experience with genuine Italian leather goods, then you don't know what you are talking about. My friend went to Florence and purchased several leather goods. At first, I ignorantly thought that it would be like any ordinary leather good. I didn't buy into the hype. However, after the passage of time... Those leather goods still look good and will remain looking good for years to come. Italian leather is good stuff. You may think you have a nice handbag or jacket you purchased at an american store, but it is nothing compared to Italian leather. The price is justified.

As I've stated previously in this thread there is no doubt that the product will be of high quality. However, consensus seems to indicate the price is not justified. Don't just assume that you are the only one with experience with Italian leather goods as your post insinuates.

Studawg7
Mar 2, 2006, 01:59 PM
1 italian leather jacket ---- $322.08

link to jacket (http://www.pierotucci.com/usa/product/cg/l$usa/dept%5Fid$1001/pf%5Fid$AB080%2DNA/results.html)

1 italian leather apple ipod case --- $99

hmm i bet i could make at least 10 ipod cases out of that jacket and make about 700 dollars profit in the end and thats only a conservative estimate!

Diatribe
Mar 2, 2006, 02:07 PM
1 italian leather jacket ---- $322.08

link to jacket (http://www.pierotucci.com/usa/product/cg/l$usa/dept%5Fid$1001/pf%5Fid$AB080%2DNA/results.html)

1 italian leather apple ipod case --- $99

hmm i bet i could make at least 10 ipod cases out of that jacket and make about 700 dollars profit in the end and thats only a conservative estimate!

If you had looked at the wallet section you would have seen that the iPod cases are actually priced comparably. I still think it's $30 too much though.

ChrisA
Mar 2, 2006, 02:47 PM
What were they thinking. $100 for a leather case. This thing better do flips and play fetch for $100. What did this thing cost, like $5 to make. Give me a break apple.

I have a ""coach" checkbook cover right here with me. Coach is about as good quality as leather gets I think they are expensive to buy here in the US. A checkbook cover is comparable in size to an iPod cover I got mine at a coach outlet store in Korea for about $15. You know they are still making money at $15 each.

Coca-Cola
Mar 2, 2006, 06:36 PM
If you had looked at the wallet section you would have seen that the iPod cases are actually priced comparably. I still think it's $30 too much though.

I concur, the cell phone holder is 79$. It doesn't even look that good. I think the iPod case is better made and you probably won't have to pay for shipping from Italy.

All in all, I think you will be pleased with your 99 dollar cover. It will far outlast your iPod.

Coca-Cola
Mar 2, 2006, 06:43 PM
Just a quick snide comment...

Dell DJ = Duck tape ipod cover
Toshiba 60 GB player = elcheapo leather
60 GB iPod= Genuine Florentine Italian leather case (apple or other).

maestro55
Mar 2, 2006, 06:53 PM
As others have said, I wouldn't purchase this product because *I* don't have the money to spend. However, if Apple can make products just for the hell of it and sell them in their retail stores they can make money and are doing good. Nothing wrong with a company trying to squeeze a little cash (for their standards) from those rich folks.

ke2000
Mar 2, 2006, 07:52 PM
$99 for a case? haha. The protection for a nano and 5G ipod cost a Shuffle. Someone got to be out of mind ordered one.

jsalzer
Mar 2, 2006, 07:56 PM
You know, I think they'd have a chance at selling some to us if they didn't say "iPod" on them. Give us something leather with an Apple logo on it, and we'll buy in droves! To hold our packs of gum in.

Don't ruin it with text. :(

;)

sam10685
Mar 3, 2006, 02:19 PM
i think the move to sell such a dumb case that won't even let u control the ipod when in the case is bring people's attitude toward Apple down so that they can then release so really kick-ass stuff in the future and have it sell like crazy. what do u think?

hkala
Mar 4, 2006, 11:06 AM
yeah, but the shipping is free..ha

kensteele
Mar 4, 2006, 11:21 AM
there are $30 apple coupons all over the place; just buy the case and a few more items and you're good. :)

jordanste
Mar 4, 2006, 11:33 AM
haha, ridiculous

Flowbee
Mar 4, 2006, 12:14 PM
i think the move to sell such a dumb case that won't even let u control the ipod when in the case is bring people's attitude toward Apple down so that they can then release so really kick-ass stuff in the future and have it sell like crazy. what do u think?

I don't understand why everyone thinks you won't be able to control the iPod through the case. I keep my iPod in the front pocket of my jeans and have no problem using the click wheel through the denim. I can pause, skip tracks, and even adjust the volume without ever needing to take it out of my pocket or touch the ipod.

If this case is anything like the soft Italian leather wallets I've seen, you will be able to operate the iPod's controls without taking it out of the case... you just won't be able to see the screen... but do you really need to see the screen every time you adjust the volume?

Marky_Mark
Mar 4, 2006, 01:53 PM
I don't understand why everyone thinks you won't be able to control the iPod through the case. I keep my iPod in the front pocket of my jeans and have no problem using the click wheel through the denim. I can pause, skip tracks, and even adjust the volume without ever needing to take it out of my pocket or touch the ipod.

If this case is anything like the soft Italian leather wallets I've seen, you will be able to operate the iPod's controls without taking it out of the case... you just won't be able to see the screen... but do you really need to see the screen every time you adjust the volume?

Or get a remote and put the iPod in upside down. That's what I do with the white neoprine jobby that came with my 5G.