PDA

View Full Version : powermac design change?

exeterbohemian
Mar 1, 2006, 01:32 AM
now that we've seen the new mini unveiled, it would seem to be a common trend for this intel shift to simply maintain the same external design and form factor for all of the computers involved. at least that's what the macbook pro and new imac have shown. speculation would seem to indicate that the ibooks are next, with no real certainty as to when to expect new powermacs. either way. most of the predictions surrounding the ibook are suggesting a revamped design (thinner, 13.1" display, etc.), which certainly wouldn't surprise me, and might also go to explain its release coming subsequent to the mpbs, imacs, and minis. so putting this all together, i'm inclined to think that the new powermacs might also be of a completely revamped design. i'm not sure what exactly, but i mean they had developer intel systems in aluminum g5 towers out last year. so i thought i'd just throw this out for discussion. the possibilities of a redesigned powermac. reactions?

Scarlet Fever
Mar 1, 2006, 02:11 AM
i think you may be onto something. The only reason the G5 powermac looks the way it does (with the holes in the front and back) is to increase air flow to keep those G5 chips somewhat cool. If they just whacked the G5 chips into the plastic G4 case, it would have just melted.
With the promise of more efficient chips being put into Apples computers with Intel, they will probably change the design. Otherwise, they will fill the computer up with as many chips and cores as it can handle :D

macrants
Mar 1, 2006, 02:19 AM
I predicted (as did many others) that the first Intel Macs would maintain a very familiar design, to assuage the fears of the general community. "See, it's still a Mac...".

I think that's over and done with. The best designed Macs were the iMac and Powerbook, and those have absolutely carried over to this generation, and everyone has accepted that intel = still Mac. Now, Jonathan Ive can have a bit of fun, and redesign the comparatively clunky iBook and the unbelievably oversized PowerMac.

I think the Power Mac G5 replacement will be called the Macintosh Pro. Kind of a return to Mac roots, and it's a sexy name. I also think it'll have a sexier, sleeker aluminum frame. I have an empty G5 case, it's absolutely cavernous. you could fit two dual-core Intel chips and 4 hard drives in a much smaller enclosure.

MacTruck
Mar 1, 2006, 02:21 AM
Apple is doing something to the consumer and mac fan. Disguise. They are making the intel models look identical to the old powermac models. Why? I bet ya an ipod their marketing dept is telling them to do this so the new intel macs are still thought of as macs. If they came out with a new design people would just say, ewww, its a pc. Putting the intel macs inside the same enclosures is genius because now it just looks like the Mac has been upgraded, not entirely changed.

Expect a Mac Pro to be in a G5 case. I hope I'm wrong.

Danksi
Mar 1, 2006, 02:59 AM
I bet ya an ipod their marketing dept is telling them to do this so the new intel macs are still thought of as macs. If they came out with a new design people would just say, ewww, its a pc...

... either that or they bulk bought their cases, like they did with their flash memory and have a warehouse full of cases, that still need using up!

:D

fuzzn87
Mar 1, 2006, 04:41 AM
i agree with Macrants... i don't think they're gonna call it the PowerMac firstly because they're no longer using 'PowerPC' processors and secondly because i guess they wanna move on and use some new names for future products instead of having so many generations of the same system. :)

I'm a Windows user but i've been admiring Mac computers since i was about 13. The problem has usually been the money... where i've started saving up for one... but then bought a digital camera or a new dvd writer instead :p

Another problem is that Steve keeps releasing newer, better things every couple of months!! I mean its good and all... but i want to buy a system that will last me a good couple of years as well as being an awesome deal for money as well as performance... i wanted to buy an Intel Mac but now i'm waiting for the next models so that all tiny problems and bugs are eliminated. Whaddaya think?

-me

SmurfBoxMasta
Mar 1, 2006, 06:32 AM
I'm glad to see new products on a regular basis too, but what really sucks is the price increases for the minis......

Intel chips, when bought in bulk lots (like ANY oem pc maker does), are way cheaper than Moto or IBM's, yet apple chose to jak up the prices on it's supposedly "entry level" machines for price/budget conscious consumers......

Add to that the fact they now use integrated gpu's instead of dedicated ones......

WTF is up wit dat :confused:

If they jak up the prices on the Pro towers, redesigned cases or not, they will REALLY piss off alot of people IMHO !

AlBDamned
Mar 1, 2006, 06:49 AM
Add to that the fact they now use integrated gpu's instead of dedicated ones......

If they jak up the prices on the Pro towers, redesigned cases or not, they will REALLY piss off alot of people IMHO !

I don't think we'll be seeing integrated graphics on the Pro/Power/SooperDooper/Whatever Professional machine ;).

On topic, it's a very good point that keeping similar enclosures adds to the "see, it's still a Mac" feeling.

My bet, is that we'll see a smaller, sleeker version of the PowerMac G5 tower, a la MacBook Pro and Powerbook and a similarly sleeker version of the iBook, but named the MacBook.

The Pro machine especially, has the potential to blow the doors off with its size relative to its power, i.e. Quad G5 power in something a little bigger than a G4 cube sized enclosure (with lots of expandability of course).

Incidentally Macrants - Macintosh Pro is a superb name. :)

sparky76
Mar 1, 2006, 06:53 AM
The reason for the size of the PowerMac case is not cooling, but quiet cooling. If Apple can cool a new PowerMac quietly in a smaller case, I'd like to see a redesign, but would rather live with the size of the current case than work in a wind tunnel.

Platform
Mar 1, 2006, 07:58 AM
The reason for the size of the PowerMac case is not cooling, but quiet cooling. If Apple can cool a new PowerMac quietly in a smaller case, I'd like to see a redesign, but would rather live with the size of the current case than work in a wind tunnel.

Some like the Dual 2.5 and 2.7 have got some real sound to them under load though ;)

But I agree, even with Intel Chips running cooler, just keep the same design and give it full copper heatsinks and then just slow down the speed of the fans ;)

supergod
Mar 1, 2006, 08:11 AM
I started a thread about this yesterday. I agree that the Power Mac will probably get a major redesign that will make it much smaller.

As far as design elements go, I think the handles will be changed to something similar to the design used in the iPod HiFi. The Superdrive will probably be replaced with a slot loading version. I would also wager that we'll see the use of white plastic in the design.

The only way I can visualize this is as follows: Take the design of a Mac mini. Flip it so it stands vertically. Greatly multiply the size of course. Rearrange the superdrive so it is horizontal. Now Add to the top the integrated handles of the iPod HiFi.

macrants
Mar 1, 2006, 09:35 AM
Like this?
http://guides.macrumors.com/images/thumb/3/39/Dontask2.jpg/440px-Dontask2.jpg

That's what the G5 was rumored to look like, right here on these forums, 3 years ago.

G5power
Mar 1, 2006, 10:00 AM
I think that the mini maintained it's current external design for the intel version because the mini is a relatively new design. Additionally it doesn't confuse potential switchers that have been looking at the g4 mini in the retails stores and haven't talked themselves into taking the plunge.

With the G5 PM case design several years old it is easier to see a new model coming out. Since it is anticipated that the PM will be the last to transition to intel, Apple could make a splash with a new signature design to capture attention.

One thought though is that since the G5 case is so large to allow for cooling the IBM processors, an Intel system in the same case would allow for more internal drive bays.

Danksi
Mar 1, 2006, 10:10 AM
....an Intel system in the same case would allow for more internal drive bays.

Which would be sweet.

ScottB
Mar 1, 2006, 10:15 AM
I think the new iBooks and Powermacs (or MacBooks and Mac Pros) will have a different design, possibly because the other lines were released while the designers were concentrating more on the new internals than anything else. Now apple has made a few intel based machines they might attempt design changes. The Powermacs seems to get a new design every time there is a large processor change and you cant get much a bigger change than a whole new architecture.

ScottB
Mar 1, 2006, 10:17 AM
I think that the mini maintained it's current external design for the intel version because the mini is a relatively new design. Additionally it doesn't confuse potential switchers that have been looking at the g4 mini in the retails stores and haven't talked themselves into taking the plunge.

With the G5 PM case design several years old it is easier to see a new model coming out. Since it is anticipated that the PM will be the last to transition to intel, Apple could make a splash with a new signature design to capture attention.

One thought though is that since the G5 case is so large to allow for cooling the IBM processors, an Intel system in the same case would allow for more internal drive bays.
My thoughts exactly, and the iBook design hasn't been changed (radically) since the G3 days.

tjwett
Mar 1, 2006, 10:28 AM
the G5 Power Mac is probably the nicest machine ever built. from the thick aluminum case to the neatness of having virtually no wires or cables inside to the details of the hole pattern. notice how they remain perfect circles even around the bent edges. that's bad ass and takes some serious engineering and forethought. but my problem with the Power Mac was that it was just HUGE. way too big. almost 30" tall. if it had room for 8 hard drives then i'd be fine with it but the entire case was taken up by the processors and the massive cooling they need. stand it next to a G4 Power Mac and it looks like a monster. and you could put like 6 hard drives easily into a G4 Power Mac with room to spare. i think the Intel will allow them to make the cases smaller again and hopefully make room for more storage. did you get a look inside the developer transition kit Power Macs? you could hear an echo in there. hey, maybe we'll even see dual optical drives make a comeback.

supergod
Mar 1, 2006, 10:30 AM
Like this?
http://guides.macrumors.com/images/thumb/3/39/Dontask2.jpg/440px-Dontask2.jpg

That's what the G5 was rumored to look like, right here on these forums, 3 years ago.

Yeah, I remember when that was the rumour floating around. I think some elements of that design will possibly make it through in the next revision.