PDA

View Full Version : 4th gen dead

opusthe2nd
Mar 1, 2006, 10:28 AM
Plug it into the wall or a computer and I get the apple, then I get the ipod with the warning sign. Cant recognize it on a computer or anywhere else. After that warning, it goes blank and then maybe the battery uncharged sign comes on.

Prior to that, the click wheel wasnt working properly. I dont want to trash this, but I would like to fix it. Any suggestions that are reasonably affordable at this time? It wont reset either. Give me suggestions......

mad jew
Mar 1, 2006, 04:00 PM
Will it restore? :)

opusthe2nd
Mar 1, 2006, 04:51 PM
It will do absolutely NOTHING. No to that question.

bankshot
Mar 1, 2006, 05:36 PM
Sounds like the logic board may be dead/dying. Can you enter disk mode by holding down forward/back at the same time (I think that's still the combo for 4th gen, look it up if it isn't)? If so, you can connect it to a computer and see if it shows up at all then (check in Disk Utility if it doesn't show up on the desktop). If not, there's definitely trouble with the logic board.

If it is the logic board, you're probably out of luck aside from buying a replacement on eBay or whatever. If you're absolutely sure the disk is ok, you can probably even look for just a replacement logic board (or a broken iPod with a bad disk but good everything else) and swap parts if you're so inclined. May or may not be worth the trouble.

As always, you never know what you're getting if you buy used stuff. I bought a used 3rd gen 40 GB iPod on eBay recently to replace my 30 GB 3rd gen whose disk had died. It was sold as fully working, but when I got it last week, I found that was not the case. Sound from the headphone jack was heavily distorted, FireWire didn't connect at all (but did charge), and USB gave lots of I/O errors.

I decided to swap the disks between the two, hoping the "new" 40 GB was still in good shape and would work well with my original iPod body. The swap was way easier than I imagined. I can point out some good links if you're interested in going this way. It worked ok for a few days before starting to get more errors. Now it's hit or miss to even get the thing recognized when I hook it up -- just like when my original disk was dying. At this point I'm waiting for the seller's confirmation to return the one I bought for a refund. Total waste of time... :o

opusthe2nd
Mar 1, 2006, 05:43 PM
Tried all that, nothing. I guess what I am going to do, for $29 is have ipodresq.com take it and tell me what is wrong with it. I will go from what they say. I think its worth the $29 opposed to replacing parts until I find the bad one.