PDA

View Full Version : G4 Cube Intermittent Power Loss

notjustjay
Mar 1, 2006, 03:09 PM
So some time ago I thought it might be fun to get a G4 Cube to play with. Unfortunately, it's been giving me problems and I'd like to open it up to you experts for advice.

I think there are two separate issues, and both relate to the power system. One is the well-documented issue of the touch-button being highly sensitive, meaning it was way too easy to turn the Cube on or off accidentally by waving your hand too close to the power button. I found lots of suggestions on the web to fix this issue and in the end I disabled the touch switch by placing a piece of anti-static-bag plastic in between the bottom of the outer shell and the touch-switch.

Second, and more severe, there seems to be intermittent power issues. They smack of a loose connection between the power supply and the Cube, although the DIN-type power connector does SEEM to fit neatly, it's not obviously loose. However, touching the connector or jiggling the cable in just the right way seems to be enough to cause the Cube to power on (if it was off) or, more annoying, power off (if it was on).

Anyone ever see problems like this? Any suggestions?

(And, a long shot, but... if anyone here is in Ottawa, Canada, and has a Cube, maybe I could bring mine over and try it with your power supply to see if mine's defective?)