Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Apple buying Adobe.. not.

It's never gonna happen. Apple just isn't in a buy-out mood. They like having their lofty cash reserve. It really just would not benefit them to take over Adobe unless to do the unthinkable.. to force Adobe to quit making Photoshop for Windows (yikes!).. hmm.. maybe a good idea! >:-}

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
wouldn't be a bad idea...

:p think of the extra revenue they could generate...

it wouldn't be like they are selling out or anything....

Microsoft could very well present itself as a model for other companies to follow....just as long as it doesn't try to take over the world like Bill Gates is!!

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
considering that half of adobe's market cap is more than all the cash apple has to spend (adobe's market cap is 8 billion according to excite.com stock info), I'd say its pretty much impossible that apple could even consider such a thing.

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach

i don't believe in it but would be nice. Finally Apple get the better software, what a privilage. Great would be if they stop producing PC software so all PC users have to switch. that would help Steve to get more than his 5% :)

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Cash???

It would likely be a huge stock swap with cash to sway the bigger share holders who might pooh pooh the move.

I doubt it would happen.

Perhaps Apple might buy a huge chunk and vote with its shares to see Apple favoured.

ilikeiBook

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
Why not?

If Apple bought Adobe, they would get alot of money because Photoshop is such a popular product.

ilikeiBook

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
Cool

Originally posted by atomwork
i don't believe in it but would be nice. Finally Apple get the better software, what a privilage. Great would be if they stop producing PC software so all PC users have to switch. that would help Steve to get more than his 5% :)
True, if Apple bought Adobe, THEY could only sell it for the mac forcing all PC photoshop users to switch, giving Apple tons of money both from PC users switching to mac and from Adobe's income.

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Where in the heck did you get the idea that Apple was gonna buy Adobe?

It wouldnt happen, but it'd be sweet if it did. lol, they'd never stop making stuff for winblow$, Apple's 5% would be much bigger

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
I wish it would happen but apple is not going to buy them and if they did it would have to run a pc lol or were screwed on the yearbook @ school

mywar2000

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2002
central Cali.
Even if...

Apple bought Photoshop, and stopped making the pc version, someone would make a Ps copy in no time. I really don't think that all of those PC Ps users would switch to mac OS that easilly.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Re: Even if...

Originally posted by mywar2000
Apple bought Photoshop, and stopped making the pc version, someone would make a Ps copy in no time. I really don't think that all of those PC Ps users would switch to mac OS that easilly.

if it's a market leader like it is, pro's would basically have to switch...

ArtMan617

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2002
Princeton, NJ
If Apple bought Adobe, they may be seen as a company-eating force, which would bring up too many comparisons to Microsoft (damn those Bungie-stealing bastards!). Plus, I'm sure Adobe makes plently of money off of their PC versions of their products and while most people in creative fields use macs, there are the PC-using counterparts. Adobe wouldn't want to lose that. It just won't happen.

-ArtMan617

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.