PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 Sleep Problem

iCeQuBe
Mar 1, 2006, 06:12 PM
I have a problem with my iBook G4. It is an older iBook 800 Mhz 12" to be exact.
When I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep like it is supposed to automatically. I can put it to sleep manually then shut the lid which is fine but I don't always remember to do that and i am wasting battery life. Does anyone have any idea how or even if i can fix this? Is there something in the control panel or is it hardware? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

calebjohnston
Mar 1, 2006, 06:21 PM
g4's are made to automatically sleep when the lid is closed. Either the hack to stop sleeping is installed or there is a software problem, I wouldn't expect hardware as it can sleep manually.

Unless you have installed the hack, check apple's site and forums, or call them.

California
Mar 1, 2006, 06:22 PM
I have a problem with my iBook G4. It is an older iBook 800 Mhz 12" to be exact.
When I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep like it is supposed to automatically. I can put it to sleep manually then shut the lid which is fine but I don't always remember to do that and i am wasting battery life. Does anyone have any idea how or even if i can fix this? Is there something in the control panel or is it hardware? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Upon constant opening and closing, the reed switch inside the lid gets cracked or broken. This has a magnet on it that turns off the book when the lid is closed. You need a new reed switch.

calebjohnston
Mar 1, 2006, 06:23 PM
ah, wasn't aware of this problem. interesting.

iCeQuBe
Mar 1, 2006, 08:57 PM
Upon constant opening and closing, the reed switch inside the lid gets cracked or broken. This has a magnet on it that turns off the book when the lid is closed. You need a new reed switch.

Is that hard to change? Where do you think I could get one?