PDA

View Full Version : transferring music from iPod to pc

spb
Mar 2, 2006, 05:59 AM
firstly i do apologize if this question has been asked before but i need help. So if i do a clean reboot on my pc in installing windows XP how do i get my music from my iPod to my pc? i know if i install iTunes then connect my iPod it will then do a update and clear everything off my iPod. i assume that there is a way of getting music from the iPod to pc then add the music to the iTunes libary then when it does a update everything will be ok. Could someone tell me how to this? do i install the iPod software first then connect the iPod to get the music on my pc and then install iTunes?

All help is appreciated

Thanks

mad jew
Mar 2, 2006, 06:02 AM
Enable the viewing of hidden files (possibly from the Tools menu), plug the iPod in. Don't let it update with your PC's library but head to the iTunes Preferences and ensure that Copy Files To iTunes Library is checked in the Advanced section. Also make sure the iPod has Disk Usage Enabled in the iPod section.

Now, go to the iPod in My Computer and drag your files into iTunes. :)

Alternatively, use iPod -> Folder (http://www.longfingers.com/ipodfolder/).

spb
Mar 2, 2006, 06:10 AM
Enable the viewing of hidden files (possibly from the Tools menu), plug the iPod in. Don't let it update with your PC's library but head to the iTunes Preferences and ensure that Copy Files To iTunes Library is checked in the Advanced section. Also make sure the iPod has Disk Usage Enabled in the iPod section.

Now, go to the iPod in My Computer and drag your files into iTunes. :)

Alternatively, use iPod -> Folder (http://www.longfingers.com/ipodfolder/).

ok so i install the iPod software and iTunes, change the setting in iTunes and then connect the iPod?

mad jew
Mar 2, 2006, 06:13 AM
Yeah, sorry, I assumed you'd already installed the iPod and iTunes apps.

Install them, check their settings (the iPod one can't be modified unless the iPod is connected though), the settings for hidden files and then plug the iPod in. You should get a dialogue box telling you to sync with your PC's library. Cancel this. Check the iPod settings and then drag the song folder back into iTunes.

spb
Mar 2, 2006, 06:32 AM
ok then, but when i connect the iPod wont iTunes still do a auctomatic update and clear everything off?

mad jew
Mar 2, 2006, 03:29 PM
It should ask first because it's a different library. :)