Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A USA Today article provides comments from Apple's Phil Schiller indicating that Apple is not going to be competing with TiVo in the Digital Video Recorder market.

Early rumors about the Mac mini had hinted that Apple would be incorporating its own "Tivo-Killer" Digital Video Recording software.

Schiller claims that adding video recording to the Mac mini would make it "too complicated":

"We're not trying to replace the TiVo," he says. "This is about taking the media from your computer and accessing it via the TV."

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Some people are deluded, they want a Powerful Mini Mac + PVR for the bargain price of $499.

This is reality. Its not going to happen.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
i never honestly thought they would put DVR in a mac in the foreseeable future. just doesn't seem mac like IMO. it would be cool, but i never thought it would happen.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Saying that they're not going to make a DVR doesn't preclude them from coming up with an add-on to Front Row so that existing DVRs can hook into the Front Row interface? Much more useful since the 'all-in-one PC' market isn't there yet - the average consumer still sees computers and TV as different appliances. And more saleable - people can buy it to add to their existing investments in their entertainment system - rather than having to replace them

jtquick2001

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2004
Didnt steve jobs himself say that there would not be any video on the ipod? And now look how popular that is.

fed-ex

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2005
No way

Look apple obviously isn't going to put DVR functions in the mini. I have yet to read the obvious answer anywhere. They don't want you to record stuff from tv, that would defeat the whole purpose of itunes store. They want you to buy it from them. Why would they make a product that makes the itunes store obselete? Duh! People need to look at the whole picture. They still want you to be dependant on them.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
He forgot to mention 'if you can record anything you want, you'll forget our 2 dollar tv shows.':rolleyes: It WOULD have been amazing.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
of course they're not planning a DVR. how would they sell TV and movie content if people were just recording it? :rolleyes:

if you want DVR, just get an eyetv...

edit: fed-ex and peyton beat me to it!

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Stella said:
Some people are deluded, they want a Powerful Mini Mac + PVR for the bargain price of $499.

This is reality. Its not going to happen.

I am a PC user. An Apple PVR would make me switch (and is about the only thing that will get me to Apple). A larger-than-mini is expected, no big deal. 1000$ price tag is also expected. I would want HD. If Apple could do that, I would switch in a second. I have NO expectations of a 500 box... and a whole new line would probablr be best- a great-looking box with DVI-HDMI out. Apple could do this, if they wanted.

This is bad news for me.... :mad:

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
Of course, Apple wants you to buy video through iTunes, and stream it to your TV through the Mac mini (and maybe in the future, an Airport Express with video).

I think this is short-sighted, but I can see why they are doing it. What I cannot fathom, however, is their notion that one should stream pathetic, tiny, awful-resolution iTunes videos to your TV.

Whatever... El Gato is probably breathing a sigh of relief. If Apple wanted to play nice, they would at least open up Front Row and the Apple Remote so that El Gato could access them. If Apple really isn't interested in a DVR, then it wouldn't hurt them to do this.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Macrumors said:
A USA Today article[/url] provides comments from Apple's Phil Schiller indicating that Apple is not going to be competing with TiVo in the Digital Video Recorder market.
Another way to read that as a fully truthful statement would be, we're not going to compete with TiVo 'cause we're going to partner with them or even buy them out at a bargain basement price and use Front Row 2.0 as a front end for TiVo to Go. :p

B

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
I would also like to note that the iPod is about the music. It won't play videos. We'll also have 3.0 GHz in a year.

Edit: I also see jtquick beat me to the punch.

JoshH

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
neocitron said:
phil doesnt say that Apple will not be making a TiVo killer though

True. He mentions not putting DVR capabilities in the Mac Mini. Maybe they could be developing something outside the Mini... something new?

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Well this disappoints me but Apple has said many things then gone back on them, then made them better than anything else on the market.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Well DUH. Of course Apple wouldn't cripple their iTMS by making a computer that records TV ... anyone who thought different doesn't know Apple. Apple thinks people would rather download a show than watch it on a schedule on TV.

Joe2000

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2005
London, UK.
I personally can now brethe a sigh of relief... ahhhhhhhhhh :D

I dont like all this talk of "dvr recorders and tivo killers". Apple makes Mac's. And its simple. Latley i've become upset by the new announcements and with the Core Solo and intel s*** integrated graphics going in the Mini and everything, AND THE PRICE GOING UP AGAIN, i'm feeling that moving to intel was a BAD move. However these are REV A machines so there bound to have bugs and high prices. Its just someone on these forums said something of great significance to me the other day when talking about the intel iBook. He/She said "I would really like to see the new iBook be an iMac-to-go again, rather than a Mac-Mini with a screen" :(

I'm worried about Apple at the moment, I dont like the new Mac Mini - or the iPod Hi-Fi. BTW Apple stock dropped by 2% after the event.

I'm now torn, if i scraped together all my money i could afford an iMac CD but i'd have to sell my iBook and then i wouldent be able to "surf the net at the coffee house" and "lay on the sofa with it" and stuff. I'd really miss that. I want a MacBook Pro but i cant afford one :( and I need more power. Ohhhh i'm going through a bad Apple period. I sure hope the MacBooks live up to my hopes - that is if I can hang on till April...

Thanks for reading,

Joe :eek:

RMWallen

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Apple doesnt have to compete with the DVR market place. Mac mini hooked up to the tv with itunes with any movie available for "download rental" at monthly price of 9.99 for unlimited rentals who would even need a DVR?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.