PDA

View Full Version : 14 Inch iBook or 15 Inch Powerbook

Nitro1515
Mar 3, 2006, 09:39 AM
I just got a 17 inch Intel iMac and I would like a nice Mac laptop to go with it. I'm looking at a refurbished 14 inch iBook from the Apple Store for $1,049 and a refurbished 15 inch Powerbook from Small Dog for $1,595. What do you guys think is the better buy? Is the Powerbook worth the extra $500 or will the iBook be more than adequate considering I have a nice desktop? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

terriyaki
Mar 3, 2006, 11:01 AM
why not just get a new 12" iBook? the only thing the 14" has on it is the superdrive and since you already have an iMac you most likely won't need it.

Eidorian
Mar 3, 2006, 11:03 AM
$799 for refurbished the 12" iBook and you don't need the DVD Burner or screen spanning.

_bnkr612
Mar 3, 2006, 11:33 AM
14" iBook are good for one thing, returning to the store and picking up a 12" iBook.

Refurbs are fun too. 12" powerbook for $1099.oo or something like.

Nitro1515
Mar 3, 2006, 12:24 PM
So I'll probably be disappointed with the 14 inch iBook? I'm leaning towards the powerbook, my only problem is that all the reviews I read say that they have bad wireless reception due to the metal casing. For those of you that own one is this true or not?

Ryan T.
Mar 3, 2006, 12:35 PM
So I'll probably be disappointed with the 14 inch iBook? I'm leaning towards the powerbook, my only problem is that all the reviews I read say that they have bad wireless reception due to the metal casing. For those of you that own one is this true or not?
I've owned a PB G4. Wireless is fine. Compared to the PC's I've owned, it's about in the middle. Not as good as an iBook or Thinkpad, but better than most HPs/Compaqs/Sonys.

You'd be fine unless you're consistently trying to pull a weak signal.

Nitro1515
Mar 3, 2006, 12:37 PM
I've owned a PB G4. Wireless is fine. Compared to the PC's I've owned, it's about in the middle. Not as good as an iBook or Thinkpad, but better than most HPs/Compaqs/Sonys.

You'd be fine unless you're consistently trying to pull a weak signal.
Sounds good. I figured it couldn't be as bad as they were making it out to be.

Ryan T.
Mar 3, 2006, 12:44 PM
Sounds good. I figured it couldn't be as bad as they were making it out to be.
FWIW, if you can spring the extra $500, I'd pick up the Powerbook. However, don't be upset if it doesn't perform like your iMac.

devilot
Mar 3, 2006, 12:50 PM
Sounds good. I figured it couldn't be as bad as they were making it out to be.I owned a 12" 1.33GHz PB for about a year and then got a 12" 1.33GHz iBook... the wifi reception is so much better on my iBook.

From the exact same spot on my desk; w/ the PB I'd barely get one or two airport bars... my iBook? Full reception, as in, all the airport bars.

Not to mention, the PB gets too hot at times (using Photoshop for example) and I'll just have to leave it alone for a good 20 minutes to cool off before using it again. I have yet to experience my iBook getting anywhere near that temperature.

Nitro1515
Mar 3, 2006, 12:54 PM
FWIW, if you can spring the extra $500, I'd pick up the Powerbook. However, don't be upset if it doesn't perform like your iMac.I am leaning towards the powerbook, I just hope I'm not overpaying for older technology, especially since Dell just introduced a new core duo 15 inch laptop for a couple hundred less.

_bnkr612
Mar 3, 2006, 12:57 PM
I owned a 12" 1.33GHz PB for about a year and then got a 12" 1.33GHz iBook... the wifi reception is so much better on my iBook.

From the exact same spot on my desk; w/ the PB I'd barely get one or two airport bars... my iBook? Full reception, as in, all the airport bars.

Not to mention, the PB gets too hot at times (using Photoshop for example) and I'll just have to leave it alone for a good 20 minutes to cool off before using it again. I have yet to experience my iBook getting anywhere near that temperature.

I concur. Albeit, my 12" 1.33 has always had good reception. It does get warm, but where are you using it that you would not put it on something between you and the heat? Lap? Use a pillow, a book, or even a wood/ plastic board. I would never use a notebook anywhere near my skin or my boys.

Let's hope the 12" Macbook Pro will have have a thin layer of cooling channels. Oh, and a 6 hour battery please...

devilot
Mar 3, 2006, 01:02 PM

toneloco2881
Mar 3, 2006, 01:04 PM
I am leaning towards the powerbook, I just hope I'm not overpaying for older technology, especially since Dell just introduced a new core duo 15 inch laptop for a couple hundred less.
If your willing to spend $1600 for the powerbook, why not spring $200 more and get a MacBook from the educational store. In my opinion, $1600 is waaaayyy too much to spend on a powerbook at this point in time. Their severely outdated. Like others have suggested, I'd pick up a 12" iBook for 799 off the apple refurb site. Great deal imo.

w8ing4intelmacs
Mar 3, 2006, 01:09 PM
if you can, i'd hold off on buying a laptop for six weeks. apple should be announcing new intel iBooks soon (my guess is april 1st), including a 13" widescreen iBook. if you were willing to pay $1500+ for the refurb powerbook, you should be able to easily afford a new iBook.

don't believe me? check the macrumors buyer's guide (see tabs above)

given your choices, i'd take the powerbook because of the widescreen. the iBook screen with the 4:3 aspect ratio just seems antiquated nowadays.

Nitro1515
Mar 3, 2006, 01:10 PM
If your willing to spend $1600 for the powerbook, why not spring $200 more and get a MacBook from the educational store. In my opinion, $1600 is waaaayyy too much to spend on a powerbook at this point in time. Their severely outdated. Like others have suggested, I'd pick up a 12" iBook for 799 off the apple refurb site. Great deal imo.Yeah it is a lot of money. I think Apple took the newer 12 inch off the refurb site, all that is there for it is the applecare package and an old 1 ghz model. Do you know of any other places that offer deals like that?

Nitro1515
Mar 3, 2006, 01:20 PM
if you can, i'd hold off on buying a laptop for six weeks. apple should be announcing new intel iBooks soon (my guess is april 1st), including a 13" widescreen iBook. if you were willing to pay $1500+ for the refurb powerbook, you should be able to easily afford a new iBook.

don't believe me? check the macrumors buyer's guide (see tabs above)

given your choices, i'd take the powerbook because of the widescreen. the iBook screen with the 4:3 aspect ratio just seems antiquated nowadays.My ideal plan would be to get the powerbook now (because I need a laptop for the time being) and then resell it when the new ibooks come out. Do any of you think that's a good idea?

toneloco2881
Mar 3, 2006, 01:23 PM
Yeah it is a lot of money. I think Apple took the newer 12 inch off the refurb site, all that is there for it is the applecare package and an old 1 ghz model. Do you know of any other places that offer deals like that?
Well, Amazon is offering the 12" iBook right now with a $100 rebate. If you take into account that they don't charge sales tax, You'd pay $899 for a brand new machine, that is close to what you pay from Apple's refurb section. Plus, Amazon has a very liberal return policy, should you find that it doesn't suit your particular needs.

sk1985
Mar 3, 2006, 01:41 PM
I am leaning towards the powerbook, I just hope I'm not overpaying for older technology, especially since Dell just introduced a new core duo 15 inch laptop for a couple hundred less.
There's a reason why that dell costs hundreds less. Mostly due to the fact that really crappy parts make up dells. Two of my roommates own Dell laptops (my third roommate and myself are mac users) and were constantly making fun of our other roommates' dells. There loud (there fans are really noticeable and I often shut down their laptops when I study) and they break pretty often, at the most both laptops only get an hour of battery life, and their screens blow. Not only that there really cheaply made.

I'd personally pay the price hike on a mac. Mostly from the fact your paying for it's form factor, it's power, quietness, battery life and reliability (hardware and software wise). In the end you get a whole lot more from a mac

TheMasin9
Mar 3, 2006, 01:41 PM
i have to say that i would get a 12 ibook for poratbility and use the imac for heavy lifting. simple as that.

wojofm1
Mar 3, 2006, 01:46 PM
i am waiting for intel ibook

ieani
Mar 3, 2006, 04:58 PM
Current or future Ibook. Otherwise you should have just gotten a MBPro and not bothered with two systems.

netb0y
Mar 4, 2006, 01:15 AM
I would go with the Powerbook because its widescreen. After using widescreen at work (Dell) I can't go back.