PDA

View Full Version : G5 Vs Core Duo

Sly
Mar 3, 2006, 10:56 AM
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2685

Apologies if this link has been posted elsewhere. An interesting comparison of the two chips. It would appear that Apple have been overstating the performance gains of the Core Duo somewhat!

Danksi
Mar 3, 2006, 11:15 AM

Apologies if this link has been posted elsewhere. An interesting comparison of the two chips. It would appear that Apple have been overstating the performance gains of the Core Duo somewhat!

They're still faster machines, should get faster with more Univ.Bin apps and cheaper as well (iMac at least).

asencif
Mar 3, 2006, 11:38 AM
Yeah the Core Duo's are 32-Bit Dual Core chips made specifically for laptops and certain desktops. They are by no means G5 killers and were not meant to be. These chips might only be around this year in the Apple lineup as Merom and Conroe chips, which are 64-Bit and supposed to be G5 beaters, make their way onto the scene.

mashinhead
Mar 3, 2006, 11:41 AM
They're still faster machines, should get faster with more Univ.Bin apps and cheaper as well (iMac at least).

actually i thought the most interesting thing that he said was that the core duo is a temporary solution. just really a transition chip. makes me want to wait. even though i want a laptop

Sly
Mar 3, 2006, 11:48 AM
Yeah the Core Duo's are 32-Bit Dual Core chips made specifically for laptops and certain desktops. They are by no means G5 killers and were not meant to be. These chips might only be around this year in the Apple lineup as Merom and Conroe chips, which are 64-Bit and supposed to be G5 beaters, make their way onto the scene.

Not strictly true, not according to Apple any way, who are advertising the Core Duo iMacs as between 2.5 & 3.2 times faster than the G5 version.

asencif
Mar 3, 2006, 11:48 AM
actually i thought the most interesting thing that he said was that the core duo is a temporary solution. just really a transition chip. makes me want to wait. even though i want a laptop

Exactly! As I stated in my previous post this is more of a laptop chip and is turning out to be a transition chip for the Apple Desktop line sans Powermac. I think these are perfect for the laptops as they run cooler and very powerful, but not replacement for 64-Bit computing which is the market the PM G5's currently serve. I would still get a PM G5 if that power is needed...If one can wait then do it for Merom or Conroe. The only Intel Mac I probably would get now is a CD Mini to test, otherwise I'm waiting for the next batch of Intel chips.

asencif
Mar 3, 2006, 11:52 AM
Not strictly true, not according to Apple any way, who are advertising the Core Duo iMacs as between 2.5 & 3.2 times faster than the G5 version.

Well they mean it's faster than the previous one chip G5 iMac. Tests have shown this is not the case anyway even on some UB like iMovie. Of course it should be faster since you have two proccessors instead of one. Not sure if they tested a core solo vs a G5 chip though.

Timepass
Mar 3, 2006, 11:52 AM

Well duh. Apple so called stated speeds on any of there computers in any area has always been crap and false.

Any one who believes the numbers Apple puts out on web sight is not some one who opinan I would believe because it clear that they dont know that much about computer industry and are just spitting out marketing BS.
As much as I dont like M$ and there buniness pratics they are at least honest in what they put out (unethical at times but much more honest)

Danksi
Mar 3, 2006, 12:12 PM

For what I use it for I'm very happy with my iBook. Depending how far into editing etc I get, my next desktop may well be the new PowerMac - the iMac G5 is doing well, but I'm more concerned about it's limited expandability.

Edge100
Mar 3, 2006, 03:04 PM
Well duh. Apple so called stated speeds on any of there computers in any area has always been crap and false.

Any one who believes the numbers Apple puts out on web sight is not some one who opinan I would believe because it clear that they dont know that much about computer industry and are just spitting out marketing BS.
As much as I dont like M$ and there buniness pratics they are at least honest in what they put out (unethical at times but much more honest)

I wouldn't go that far.

Apple has always stated exactly what the specific test is that shows a 2 or 3x speed up. Running that particular test, on those particular machines, gave that result. If you read more into it than that, that's your doing.

Misleading? Perhaps. BS? No way. They're the truth. Some apps will show a big speed up (check out the Apple forums for reports on the Core Duo iMac competing with Dual 2.3 G5s in Logic Pro), some wont (apparently MPEG4 encoding in QT is slower on the new machines).

Overall, you're getting a faster machine. If you believed Apple's hype, that's really your own fault, not Apple's.