PDA

View Full Version : I just watched the release of the iMac G4...

sam10685
Mar 4, 2006, 12:09 AM
Dudes... i just watched Steve unveil the iMac G4 at the Macworld expo 2002 in san frransisco... WHAT was last tuesday all about?! at the event in 2002, the good news just kept coming and coming and coming... and steve was so excited about the G4 iMac. last tuesday seemed like an announcement that microsoft was buying apple compared to Macworld 2002.

iEdd
Mar 4, 2006, 12:23 AM
Hmm I should make a graph:
It's The graph of inevitability
Apple Quality:
...|
...|........................Intel
...|........................ ___
...|........iMac G4...../.....\
...| ..... __________/.......\
...|..... /.........................\
...|..../............................\_____________ REPEAT...
...|. /
...|/
...|
...|
------------------------------------------------------------
Time
:D

Manzana
Mar 4, 2006, 12:33 AM
come on, it was just a special event that the mac web overhyped. apple did not even hype it that much, they just sent out invites and posted a blurb regarding cool new products.

guess what, they're new products, the cool part is totally subjective, but still, calm down with the overblown "THEY'VE LET US DOWN, CRUCIFY THEM!"

sorry for the rant but i just saw a headline story on slashdot about this:

Apple: Mac Mini and iPod Hi-Fi Over-Hyped?
Posted by Zonk on Friday March 03, @03:20PM
from the isn't-everything-nowadays dept.

RX8 writes "Analyst Michael Greeson takes a look at Apple's new products, the Mac Mini (Intel based) and iPod Hi-Fi and explains why they were over-hyped and how that can damage Apple. Michael explains that when you are 'an industry innovator - when your products fall short of being truly original, your own success becomes your worst enemy.'"

the story ended up being a dupe of course
Update: 03/04 00:07 GMT by Z : As many posters have pointed out, the article here has little to do with the synopsis. This article is mostly about the design for the mac mini and its remote, which is a fairly interesting topic. Mea culpa, folks.

Can we just end this nonsense already? Oh and are you going to be disappointed if on April 1 we don't get the fullscreen ipod with the holographic touchscreen sensor thingamagig? I myself thrashed the mac mini on these here forums for having integrated intel graphics but this whole "apple is BS because their event was a letdown" has really
http://big_game.at.infoseek.co.jp/shark/jump1.jpg

Edited to censor myself

asherman13
Mar 4, 2006, 12:47 AM
If it was some big, huge announcement, they would've either used it at MacWorld or saved it until April 1st. MWSF is MacWorld for a reason...

Besides, there's less than one month until Apple's 30th Anniversary. They'll do something...and I'm sure Steve will be very excited.:)

whooleytoo
Mar 4, 2006, 09:31 AM
I think the problem has less to do with the products and more to do with Apple's hype. A leather iPod case and a speaker worthy of a special event?

Even the mini itself, while it may be a nice machine, is still just a rev of its entry level machine, with no outward changes. The initial mini was newsworthy because of its price point, this one wasn't.

I think it's inevitable Apple will release more evolutionary and fewer revolutionary products as the PC industry has reached a level of technological maturity.

sam10685
Mar 4, 2006, 04:53 PM
Hmm I should make a graph:
It's The graph of inevitability
Apple Quality:
...|
...|........................Intel
...|........................ ___
...|........iMac G4...../.....\
...| ..... __________/.......\
...|..... /.........................\
...|..../............................\_____________ REPEAT...
...|. /
...|/
...|
...|
------------------------------------------------------------
Time
:D

i don't see Apple products declining in quality at all or even it leveling out. i see it slowly be surely increasing as time rolls on after the switch to intel.

generik
Mar 4, 2006, 04:57 PM
i don't see Apple products declining in quality at all or even it leveling out. i see it slowly be surely increasing as time rolls on after the switch to intel.

Yesterday: Build in US of A.
Today: Designed by Apple in California.

Who cares about the design? Are they too ashamed of the "Made in China" tag right after that?

StealthRider
Mar 4, 2006, 06:43 PM
It's always been "Designed by Apple in California"...that isn't a recent development.

bigandy
Mar 4, 2006, 06:55 PM
have you a copy of the video you can host/send, or a link?

i remember seeing it aaages ago, but really would love to see it again!

i did a quick google search and found this though....

http://www.apple.com/lae/imac/

hehe. :rolleyes:

Josh396
Mar 4, 2006, 07:07 PM
i did a quick google search and found this though....

http://www.apple.com/lae/imac/

I like the page on the G4 Processor in which it has a little diagram that it compares to the Pentium chip.