PDA

View Full Version : Small story about Windows and an iMac G3 500

Backtothemac
Jan 27, 2003, 10:41 AM
Well recently I had to sell my 17" Widescreen iMac. My wife needed a laptop for school for her to run AutoCad. Well, That left me with just my wifes Sony Vaio and my roommates Dual 1GHZ and 22" Cinema. Well, I am the type of person that I cannot live without MY OWN computer. So, after having to do a full restore on my wifes laptop for the 4th time in the 3 weeks that we have had it, I set out on a mission to find me a Mac.

Well, I found two. One is for sale in the for sale forumn here.

It is a little CD-Rom G3 500 Indigo iMac. Wow. This thing is anything but fast. I have my LaCie 120GB Drive hooked up so the HD space is fine. I am adding an external burner, and upgrading to 1GB. I cannot believe how much I missed OS X. Is my wife's laptop faster? Yes, Is it better, probably, does the os work as well? Hell No!

I realize that no matter what happens in my life, or how slow they are, I would rather have the slowest Mac in the world, than the fasted PC.

Jays
Jan 27, 2003, 11:03 AM
That is what I always said, the hardware is secondary. the number 1 reason we all use Mac's is the OS and not the beautiful computers Apple sells.

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 27, 2003, 11:17 AM
Have to disagree on the is it better part-- the answer is no. my wife has a 500imac that i had bought her and it does everything. Macs are better and have better hardware-mouse-keyboard-enclosure-ports etc. cpu well moto is slow with speed updates but they do seem to go on and on and on so i can say that for them. look at my post on crt imacs and their importance for apple. If only the world knew!:rolleyes:

Backtothemac
Jan 27, 2003, 11:30 AM
Well, I am comparing the iMac that we bought with my wifes laptop. If that laptop ran Linux, or OS X, then it would rock. The specs, quality, and design is really nice. That is what I meant.

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 27, 2003, 11:42 AM
ok i can buy that, i love your avatar where can i go to learn how to do those things? Still cant beleive you let the 17 inch go, i would like to get one but only when they get fast enough to let go of my powermac800.

Backtothemac
Jan 27, 2003, 11:53 AM
Dukestreet made the avatar for me. I could never do it :)

Yea, the 17" was amazing, but this little iMac will do everything that we need until the 19" iMac comes out :)

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 27, 2003, 12:07 PM
Im not sure a 19 is coming out though it would be cool.really would like to see a 1.25ghz in a 17 or 19 cause i would be getting one. those crtimacs are really what saved the company and really wished they would just market their stuff instead of letting those powermacs hold it all back! where would apple be without those units? i remember the bean counter days and their pc look alikes had no pizass or style whatsover.

Gringo
Jan 27, 2003, 12:39 PM
Any pc that is faster can eat **** ... i stick to my iMac 266. I have this powerful laptop pc atwork I use.. it is really cool,nice designe, fast,but really unstable with this windows os... 98... I have a pc desktop and the same deal...I have at home my iMac 266 and it has nevercrashed on me.. it has on my wife,but that was because she took out the floopy disk befero throwing it to the trash.....

Even my early powerbook 1400 with only 48 ram, was more stable and did all I needed at my office andwhile every body here depended onmy to do there work...

Takethat for a mac user...

G.-

rainman::|:|
Jan 27, 2003, 01:39 PM
My whole family (except my mom) hate that i'm such a die-hard Mac user, my uncle works for IBM and my aunt used to work for NORAND, so they're both stuck on PC's. I was ranting about Macs one day to my aunt, and she said "Paul, seriously, drop it. If someone went and got you a brand new Gateway, you'd love it". I looked at her for a minute, and then told her i'd sell it and go buy a Mac, used if need be. She got exasporated and refused to discuss it anymore.

I thought it was pretty funny, considering she gave me my first Mac SE, she bought it from her company when they switched...

that seems to be her lasting impression of Macs, System 6. I just think about OS X, how she'll never actually know how great it is, and have to chuckle. If she wants things to be difficult, fine with me...

pnw

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 27, 2003, 02:07 PM
Hey paul they just dont get it. my mother lives in another part of the u.s. but to keep it simple i told her to get a mac, my sister near her told her windows/gateway. well she bought a gateway now that never gets used. 2 years ago i bought her a digital olympus camera 2 megapixels for christmas. my sister and her still have not been able to get it to work on her machine! all i can do is laugh when i plug my digital camera into my mac with iphoto and it opens up and then says you want me to import these photos! 1 click and boom i got em. I think they do like to keep it complicated and confusing!:o

Tommy!
Jan 27, 2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Gringo
I have at home my iMac 266 and it has nevercrashed on me.. it has on my wife,but that was because she took out the floopy disk befero throwing it to the trash.....

Even my early powerbook 1400 with only 48 ram, was more stable and did all I needed at my office andwhile every body here depended onmy to do there work...

Whoa! our Mac backgrounds are weirdly similar! I had a powerbook 1400 c with 48 megs of ram, it NEVER EVER crashed, it was one of the best computers I ever owned ... Then I gave it to my dad and in exchange he bought me a 266 MHz iMac in Lime. I'll never forget opening that baby! It was just as reliable as the PB 1400. I have never had to take my iMac in for service, and the only thing i've done to it was upgrade it to 192 megs of ram. It runs OS 9 sooo fast, and never crashes

My mom and brother still use the lime iMac today, and it's more than fast enough at doing whatever they throw at it. My dad ended up selling the PB about a year later, and the people who bought it still use it every day, and think its the coolest fastest computer ever made :)

Gringo
Jan 29, 2003, 07:35 AM
That PB was a die hard .... I mean I really put it to the test here at my office... even my boss cae to me to ask me if I could do something for him in my mac since his pc iswith virus and again the computer tech is reformating.... that was lie about twice in one week...

For the iMac 266 I got it before the PB.... came with 9.1 and I did all I could to learn about the OS... i switched back and forth from 8.5.1, 8.6, 9.0, 9.1, 9.1.4, 9.2.1 and9.2.2, Now I run jaguar... and only with 160 ram.... will need more ram of course, but it runs great..stable, slowish, but good, 9 is the fastest thing Ive seen to date.

My Wife needed a floopy drive and a portable computer so I sold it and got the pb1400cs /166 pasive screen. I then got the opertunity to buy back my iMac from the person I sold it to and even cheaper then I sold it so I took the chance, but I did have to sell the PB to get a floppy drive and now investing in a printer, ram and see if I can get a digital camera.

G.-