Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

williamw

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
Alright, so i filmed a video with an Canon XL1, and i edited it with iMovie. I have the .dv format and i attempted saving it in .mp4 format. But the .mp4 format came out ale squished on the sides, and in quicktime it wouldnt let me change the size to fit my needs. The .dv is 720 x 480 and i want like 360 x 240 in .mp4. Help!:eek:

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
try the apple boards

williamw said:
Alright, so i filmed a video with an Canon XL1, and i edited it with iMovie. I have the .dv format and i attempted saving it in .mp4 format. But the .mp4 format came out ale squished on the sides, and in quicktime it wouldnt let me change the size to fit my needs. The .dv is 720 x 480 and i want like 360 x 240 in .mp4. Help!:eek:

Hi william,

first of all, congrats for taking the reins on your project!

I'm not sure what you mean by squished b/c the 360 format is half the regular size so can you explain more? I assume you rendered first in imovie? I haven't used it quite some time so i forget if it renders as you go or if you have to choose that later.

that said, also check out the apple support boards:
http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=141

i'm sure if you post there, it will get answered.

good luck!
Keebler

williamw

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
i want this
Picture1.png

but get this
ba.png

And when ^this^ one is playing it is very pixely

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
upgrade to qt pro

williamw said:
i want this
Picture1.png

but get this
ba.png

And when ^this^ one is playing it is very pixely

Hi William,

Try the message boards for Quicktime Pro. I think if you buy the upgrade, you'll have the option to choose almost any time of size and format. I tried an mp3 (NOT Isma) and it gave me more options. or, you can output to a .mov and then adjust the size.

Good luck,
Keebler

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I think the important message here is that you'll need to do some exporting and conversions, rather than just some file renaming and size adjustments. Quicktime pro or compressor will do this well, but i'm almost positive the standard quicktime has no conversion abilities.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
you're good to go

williamw said:
i have quicktime pro:(

Hi william,

you should be able to open your source file and go file - save as - quicktime movie...then go to options...change the size to anything you want and click ok or whichever the option is (can't check now..my macs are running).
that should work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.