PDA

View Full Version : Set iBook not to sleep when closing cover how?

ElCamino
Mar 5, 2006, 04:34 AM
I'm new to MAC OS X this iBookG4 is my first ever MAC product and wanted to know if there is a way to set some settings so that when I close the lid it won't go to sleep. I would like for it to stay on because I have hooked up my 42" Plasma and would like to close the lid and not have it go to sleep. Also would like not have it go to sleep when I'm just using it also and close the lid.

robbieduncan
Mar 5, 2006, 04:47 AM
Officially you can't. Apple only support "clamshell" mode on PowerBooks (and only then if they are woken up once closed by a USB or Bluetooth device). There may well be a hack to enable clamshell mode on iBooks but it's probably not a good idea as the iBook may overheat.

Chundles
Mar 5, 2006, 04:58 AM
I'm new to MAC OS X this iBookG4 is my first ever MAC product and wanted to know if there is a way to set some settings so that when I close the lid it won't go to sleep. I would like for it to stay on because I have hooked up my 42" Plasma and would like to close the lid and not have it go to sleep. Also would like not have it go to sleep when I'm just using it also and close the lid.

OK, you don't want to do that, the iBook cools primarily via the heat escaping from the keyboard. If you block that, you'll bust your iBook very quickly. The PowerBook/MacBook Pro is designed to route heat differently and as such can be run with the lid closed.

Oh, and just so the nitpickers don't tear you to shreds. It's Mac, not MAC and it's an Apple product, not a Mac product.

ElCamino
Mar 5, 2006, 05:43 AM
Chundles thanks for the heads up on the Mac and Apple typo's still learning and also thanks everyone for the info. I do have a Antec Laptop cooling pad that I use and using it on the iBook and it keeps the iBook very cool. Anyone know if there is a program or script to keep the iBook from going to sleep when closing the lid if not I guess I could keep the lid open just enough before it goes to sleep. Thanks again everyone.

mad jew
Mar 5, 2006, 05:47 AM
Please keep the lid open, however Screen Spanning Doctor (http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html) will let you close it (among other things). :)

Chundles
Mar 5, 2006, 05:56 AM
Chundles thanks for the heads up on the Mac and Apple typo's still learning and also thanks everyone for the info. I do have a Antec Laptop cooling pad that I use and using it on the iBook and it keeps the iBook very cool. Anyone know if there is a program or script to keep the iBook from going to sleep when closing the lid if not I guess I could keep the lid open just enough before it goes to sleep. Thanks again everyone.

It's really not going to work. You CAN do it with screen spanning doctor but even that cooling pad isn't going to keep the heat from escaping. All that heat is going straight into the iBook's LCD screen.

Using the iBook in clamshell mode is going to bollocks it up big time. Don't do it.

ElCamino
Mar 5, 2006, 06:12 AM
Yeah it sounds risky I will just leave as is and try to close the lid as much as possiable before it goes to sleep. Thanks again everyone for the quick response. I have another question for you guys that have a picture under your name how did you do that I looked every where to see how to do this but no luck anyone can point me to the right direction thanks again.

Chundles
Mar 5, 2006, 06:23 AM
Yeah it sounds risky I will just leave as is and try to close the lid as much as possiable before it goes to sleep. Thanks again everyone for the quick response. I have another question for you guys that have a picture under your name how did you do that I looked every where to see how to do this but no luck anyone can point me to the right direction thanks again.

You need to get to 500 posts.

ElCamino
Mar 5, 2006, 06:26 AM
:eek: Well I guess I better start posting :D Thanks again Chundles

Ish
Mar 5, 2006, 06:31 AM
I have another question for you guys that have a picture under your name how did you do that I looked every where to see how to do this but no luck anyone can point me to the right direction thanks again.

Have a look under FAQ/Rules: MacRumors FAQ: 2.3 I can't upload an avatar. Mostly you have to have submitted 500 posts first. Only 495 to go! :)

Chundles
Mar 5, 2006, 06:31 AM
:eek: Well I guess I better start posting :D Thanks again Chundles

No worries mate. 500 is not so bad. My skiing forum changed you from newbie to member at 30 posts, the next bump up is at 5000, then 10,000 posts.

calebjohnston
Mar 5, 2006, 09:07 AM
No to mention that using that hack to stop sleep on closing the lid voids your warranty I believe, not a great thing to do with a new computer - there's always some kind of problem ahead.

mad jew
Mar 5, 2006, 10:50 PM
No to mention that using that hack to stop sleep on closing the lid voids your warranty I believe...

True, but the hack can be removed quite cleanly FWIW. :)

dsharits
Mar 5, 2006, 10:55 PM
True, but the hack can be removed quite cleanly FWIW. :)
Still, it's not a good idea to run it on an iBook, ever.

puckhead193
Mar 5, 2006, 10:58 PM
this is sorta of the same question but is their away to log off with out quitting programs like adium?

calebjohnston
Mar 5, 2006, 10:59 PM
you can fast-user switch, but I don't know about logging off.

dsharits
Mar 5, 2006, 11:03 PM
you can fast-user switch, but I don't know about logging off.
Yeah, logging off is a no-go, but you can turn on fast user switching and be able to go to the login window.

mad jew
Mar 5, 2006, 11:40 PM

Very true. I wouldn't dream of ever putting it on my lil' iBook.

Shamus
Mar 6, 2006, 12:22 AM
You need to get to 500 posts.

How do you find out how many posts you have done?

mad jew
Mar 6, 2006, 12:38 AM
Select My Profile from the Quick Links menu at the top of each forum page. :)

You have 40 at the moment.

Shamus
Mar 6, 2006, 12:49 AM
Select My Profile from the Quick Links menu at the top of each forum page. :)

You have 40 at the moment.

Cool, thanks! :)

Chundles
Mar 6, 2006, 01:00 AM

I use it to span to my 15" CRT to use as a secondary screen - works fine that way but wouldn't even dream of setting it to work in clamshell.... shudders...

crazydreaming
Mar 6, 2006, 02:05 AM
Now can you use this hack to run a Powerbook with the lid closed without having an external monitor, mouse, and keyboard attatched?