PDA

View Full Version : Any rumours about the next iPod Nano update?

Balli
Mar 5, 2006, 01:26 PM
I was just wondering if there is any news on the next iPod Nano update?

I am going on a trip to Japan in July and would love to update my 2GB Nano to maybe a 6GB (or 8GB) as prices are about £50 cheaper.

jkelly888
Mar 5, 2006, 01:26 PM
I was just wondering if there is any news on the next iPod Nano update?

I am going on a trip to Japan in July and would love to update my 2GB Nano to maybe a 6GB (or 8GB) as prices are about £50 cheaper.
well, none have been posted here in a while...

ITASOR
Mar 5, 2006, 01:28 PM
This just made me think of a Nano with full screen, touch screen. I think that would be pretty cool!

PlaceofDis
Mar 5, 2006, 01:29 PM
i still think updates to the Nano are unlikely at this point. they haven't been out very long. i would give it a few months for a refresh at the earliest, otherwise we would have seen the update with that last event that apple had on Feb. 28th. so i would think its going to be a good while yet.

Balli
Mar 5, 2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. Just out of curiosity, what are upcoming Mac shows (Macworld, etc) between now and August?

Chaszmyr
Mar 5, 2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. Just out of curiosity, what are upcoming Mac shows (Macworld, etc) between now and August?

The biggest event between now and then will be WWDC, where they will probably preview Leopard and may or may not release some other product. That event is not open to the public, though (Or well it is, but it costs a fortune).

The only other pre-scheduled event I can think of between now and then that will mean anything for Apple is NAB.

shadowmoses
Mar 5, 2006, 02:35 PM
i'd love to see a higher capacity Nano, but I think we won't see one until mid-late summer, mainly due to there nature as there is no NAND memory of sufficient size and if there is, it is very expensive.....

ANyway you never know Steve may surprise us!

SHadoW

lord patton
Mar 5, 2006, 02:57 PM
interesting question, since all the rumors have been regarding a full screen video iPod and (to a lesser extent) a Wi-Fi iPod.

I don't think we'll see any new iPods until the pre-Christmas shopping season. I mean, they'll have to have new gear for that, and to introduce something now would mean two significant updates inside of 6-8 months. (Possible exception: if they introduce full screen video now, it would be priced above current 5G iPod with Video—come x-mas, they could fold full screen into everything from $299 up. Kinda like how they brought color screens into the product line).

As for the nano, I don't see them adding video (although how sweet would a full screen nano video be!). And I don't know if flash RAM prices allow higher capacity now. Eventually it will, though—again I'd say pre-Christmas '06.

In addition to WWDC, lots o' folks expect some announcement of new product for Apple's 30th anniversery, which is April 1st.

mrgreen4242
Mar 5, 2006, 03:43 PM
A full (touch)screen, 6gb nano would be pretty sweet, but I can't see how they'd get:

1) enough battery power to have anything meaningful into that tiny case (when you look at the size battery the 5G iPods have in terms of mAH and how long they last under video playback)
2) a chip to output to a TV inside that already packed case
3) a touch screen layer over the display and keep it the same thickness

I think the nano is going to be the last and only music only iPod Apple will be offering.

Abstract
Mar 7, 2006, 05:18 AM
They'll probably update the Nano several weeks before or after WWDC in June, and then they'll take around 4 weeks to deliver it to you in July. Do you mind if delivery cuts very close to your trip, or do you need it well before your trip?

Balli
Mar 7, 2006, 05:23 AM
They'll probably update the Nano several weeks before or after WWDC in June, and then they'll take around 4 weeks to deliver it to you in July. Do you mind if delivery cuts very close to your trip, or do you need it well before your trip?

Thank you for the reply.

I hope you are right about Apple updating the iPod Nano at around the time of the WWDC.

My trip ends on the 14th of August, so any time up till then is fine with me.

direzz
Mar 7, 2006, 10:21 AM
This just made me think of a Nano with full screen, touch screen. I think that would be pretty cool!

i personnally think that would be pretty stupid.
no offence, the screen would be to small and long.