Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Signatures are provided as a way to identify or express yourself in a small, friendly way. The rules are designed to keep the area for signatures from being a distraction or annoyance to those reading the forums.

By Forum Rules, signatures may be no taller than 6 lines and no longer than 150 characters and spaces.

These limits have been enforced by the moderators when oversized signatures were reported.

The rules have not changed, but the 150-character rule is now enforced automatically by the forum software when you use the Signature page of your User Control Panel.

The 150-character limit applies only to visible and space characters, so vB Code tags do not count toward the total. For example, [b]hello there[/b] counts as 11 characters, not 18, because the text it produces is hello there.

The other signature rules are unchanged as well:
  • Signatures must not be overly distracting to those reading the forums, as judged by the moderators.
  • Signatures must comply with all forum rules, including those against profanity, explicit sexual content, and insults against groups or individuals, and cannot be in other ways offensive.
  • Members will be required to change signatures that are deemed too controversial or that are particularly annoying to other members.
If you want other forum members to know what computer hardware you use, we suggest that you limit it to model names, without detailed system specs, so it stays under the size limits. You can put other system information in your User Profile.

If you do not want to see other members' signatures at all, you can disable their display in the Thread Display Options section of your Options page.

Note that six lines is a maximum, not a recommendation. Please observe the spirit of the rule and keep signatures small. And friendly!

Thank you for your continued cooperation.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Doctor Q said:
For example, hello counts as 5 characters, not 12, because the text it produces is hello.

Neat. How'd you do that oh masterful god? How'd you make "hello" not bold? It's gone bold in my quote... :cool:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
mad jew said:
Neat. How'd you do that oh masterful god? How'd you make "hello" not bold? It's gone bold in my quote... :cool:
Gasp. You're right! At first I thought you were being a crack head... but then I realized. How did Doctor Q do that?!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I used the top secret trick of replacing the [ characters that I didn't want to be recognized as part of a tag with the string [ which comes out as a literal [ character.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
They are all having you on, mad jew, MR gods have the ability to affect the fabric of space and time down to the sub-atomic and binary levels, the word wasn't enboldened because the mighty Dr.Q willed it that way....:D

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Doctor Q said:
Signatures are provided as a way to identify or express yourself in a small, friendly way.

Unfortunately, there are selected sigs that just seem to trumpet the arrival of a self-proclaimed VIP. I think three lines is more than adequate, and it is not vital for others to know about all equipment that was purchased in the last 10 years. In the world of sigs, less can be more.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Oh this is good news... but what would be even better news would be if the ability to use "
" tags in sigs had been turned off. This is probably the single most annoying thing that people can do with their signatures :mad:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
WinterMute said:
They are all having you on, mad jew, MR gods have the ability to affect the fabric of space and time down to the sub-atomic and binary levels, the word wasn't enboldened because the mighty Dr.Q willed it that way....:D

Doctor Q is Chuck Norris? Way cool. :cool:

dietcokevanilla said:
...the ability to use "quote" tags in sigs had been turned off. This is probably the single most annoying thing that people can do with their signatures :mad:

I couldn't agree more.

L

Lau

dietcokevanilla said:
Oh this is good news... but what would be even better news would be if the ability to use "quote" tags in sigs had been turned off. This is probably the single most annoying thing that people can do with their signatures :mad:

I also agree with this - it makes a one line signature into what seems more obtrusive than a 10 line signature.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
I've been a sig watcher ever since the thread we had this past summer about annoying sigs.

I'm much happier with the smaller font sig I have now, than the one I had before.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Would it be possible for an option to disable sigs all together?

As far as I'm concerned it just seems like an online pissing match as to who has the most Apple stuff. :rolleyes:

But thanks for reigning them in!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
treblah said:
Would it be possible for an option to disable sigs all together?

As far as I'm concerned it just seems like an online pissing match as to who has the most Apple stuff. :rolleyes:

But thanks for reigning them in!

Yeesh, as Doctor Q said, you can disable them yourself if you want. I like .sigs, as it's another way of seeing who said what. But if you don't like them, turn them off.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
treblah said:
Perhaps people can do that here and leave the signatures for something more interesting.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
I would like to apologize to the mods who recieved my message reporting a sig today because it was 7 lines.

Turns out it was only that long cause I was on my laptop and the sig was stretched onto 7 lines by Safari.

Sorry!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Sharewaredemon said:
I would like to apologize to the mods who recieved my message reporting a sig today because it was 7 lines.

Turns out it was only that long cause I was on my laptop and the sig was stretched onto 7 lines by Safari.

Sorry!
Unless you had your Safari window really small then the sig was probably too long anyway... :p

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Sharewaredemon said:

It's a very fine point, and we try not to quibble about such things, but technically the rule is that "Signatures may not be over 6 lines in total height, as displayed in a forum window." So if you use a sig with one long line that linewraps to 10 lines with a typical forum window width, that's technically too tall. However, the character limit usually takes care of that.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Doctor Q said:
It's a very fine point, and we try not to quibble about such things, but technically the rule is that "Signatures may not be over 6 lines in total height, as displayed in a forum window." So if you use a sig with one long line that linewraps to 10 lines with a typical forum window width, that's technically too tall. However, the character limit usually takes care of that.

Well I don't think you changed it, but I just wanted to appologise...

EDIT turns out you cut his sig down a lot.

It looks much better, thanks.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
alien_dance.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.