PDA

View Full Version : 3G iPod sync freeze after switch

vante
Mar 6, 2006, 04:48 AM
Hey.

I've recently bought a MacBook and switched from windows. I'm having serious problems updating my 3G iPod which seems to freeze everytime I touch the computer during update. I've tried not touching it, but then this then that happens and it locks up. It freezes at exactly the point that I start a new program, or I get a message on adium, or screensaver etc., so it's not a corrupt file. Subsequently, I need to reset it all, quit iTunes etc, and start over.

I've updated the software on the iPod (first restore - then update) and I'm just plugging it in the FW as I'd do on a winpc.

Please help, I'm getting seriously annoyed!

vante

mad jew
Mar 6, 2006, 04:51 AM
Welcome to Macs. I guess you might wanna check your hard drive status using Disk Utility in the Utilities folder. Select the iPod in the left hand pane and Verify Disk. :)

Just out of interest, does it still work on PCs?

vante
Mar 6, 2006, 04:48 PM
The iPod works without problems with windows.

It keeps freezing - also if I don't touch the computer. it's very weird.

mad jew
Mar 6, 2006, 10:34 PM
Have you checked it in Disk Utility? Maybe look for a file named com.apple.iPod.plist and drag it to the Desktop.

By the way, how do you know it works on PCs if you've formatted it for Mac? Or did you format it on a PC, in which case running it through iPod Software Updater on the Mac may help. :)

vante
Mar 7, 2006, 05:07 AM
Well, it worked before I switched. And partly still works - I've managed to get a few songs on it by ejecting it before it freezes, so it definitely works. I didn't try the disk utility yet - what does that file do, and what should I do with it once on the desktop?

mad jew
Mar 7, 2006, 07:08 AM
That file retains your iPod preferences but is only relevant (or active) if located in the right folder. Moving it to the Desktop forces OSX to create a new, default version. If this file was corrupt, then removing it should help.

However, I don't think that's your problem. It's sounding more like a failing hard drive. Disk Utility may help though. :)

Eraserhead
Mar 7, 2006, 08:47 AM
Does it freeze your Mac?

To me then it sounds like a failing HD, Windows is better with these things...

One thing I would try is running a disc Check in Windows (right click when connected to a PC and choose it from the tools tab. (again Windows is better at this... disk utility isn't what it should be...)

It's will then scan the disk for bad sectors.

If its finding bad sectors the disk will click when you pick it up as hhold it close to your ear.

Also if you try this DON'T reformat as the bad sector info will be lost.

It may also crash the windows PC so save any important info first.

it sounds like my 3G iPod with a dead HD though so IMHO the HD is probably dying :(.

vante
Mar 7, 2006, 10:37 AM
ok, thanks for the info. It does freeze my mac as well - I need to restart everything. And yes, when it freezes the iPod does click. It's weird though, coz I've never had problems before and the songs I've managed to transfer with the abovementioned method still plays without a problem...

Anyways, I don't have a winpc anymore, but will try the disktool afterall later today when back from work.